1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First trip to the Himalaya by BNW PUNTO MJD

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sandipan_r15, Jun 10, 2012.

1. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I love mountains/hills & I love driviving.Being a bengalee I love touring,specially to hills.And it was a long nurtured dream of mine to drive in the Himalayas.I drove in the hills of Panchmari,Koraput,Araku,Phulbani & Keonjhar(CAR--WAGONR).But it's simple,you cannot compare the satpura/purbaghat hills to the Himalayas.The day I took delivery of my PUNTO I started thinking about this tour.And finally it materialised.And I am satisfied to the core of my heart, that I have completed the tour almost scratchless(lost the lower part of my front grill on an impact with a water submurged stone).I will describe the tour tour in a schematic not descriptive but will answer your queries to the best of my knowledge.THANKS.

DAY1--02/06/2012---HALDIA to MALDA :-

ROUTE--->HALDIA--MECHEDA--DUNKUNI--BARDHAMAN--NIRJACHATI--FUTISHANKO--KULI--KHARGRAM--MORGRAM--FARAKKA--MALDA

DAYS HIGHLIGHT---

1)DISTANCE COVERED--482.6 KM
    2)Had to travel to Gazol from Malda & back in search of hotels(21*2 km)
    3)Huge traffic jam at kaliachak costed us almost 2 hours.
    4)Durgapur(DGP)Expressway is the best.
    5)NH34 should not be called as highway at the first place(judging the road conditon not importance).

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT---PUNTO is at it's best on the HIGHWAY & on bad roads alike.

PICS OF THE DAY1---

P1060533.jpg
    JOURNEY BEGINS--

P1060537.jpg
    PADDY ZONE OF BARDHAMAN.

P1060541.jpg
    TRACTOR TROLLY WAS THE MAIN TRAFIC HAZARDS FROM BARDHAMAN TO MOREGRAM.

P1060543.jpg
    PUNTO IS NOT EVERYONES OBJEST OF LOVE.

P1060549.jpg
    AHIRANBIL BIRD SANCTUARY, NH-34.

P1060550.jpg
    A MAKESHIFT BRIDGE ON A BROKEN CONCRETE BRIDGE, NH-34

P1060553.jpg
    MALDA DISTRICT IS FAMOUS FOR IT'S MAGO(LANGRA,FASLI,LAKSHMAN BHOG).

P1060557.jpg
    MALDA IS ALSO FAMOUS FOR IT'S LICHI.

P1060558.jpg
    MORE LICHI--

P1060555.jpg
    HOOOM! SEEMS TASTIER THAN DIESEL.

P1060559.jpg
    LICHI IS A TREAT FOR THE EYES TOO.

P1060562.jpg
    MORE--
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    8 people like this.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Great pics!

You will LOVE the punto when the twisting mountains roads come. Just keep it in the "turbo zone".

When i first took the Linea to the mountains i found i was doing much higher speeds than usual and not in a rash manner as well. The car felt so composed i didn't even know i was doing those speeds. Just don't be afraid to rev the engine and keep it in the powerband.

Cheers.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Gurji,I have already completed my tour and had discovered the beast in the beauty called PUNTO.I just loved driving my PUNTO in the extremely steep up or down.JUST SLOT THE FIRST GEAR AND SMIIIIILE.Loved the first gear for the first time.

Will post the TL part/daywise.Thanks.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I had seen some of the photos in other forum and never thought about a feast that is going to happenn:)
    Great photos and the one with tractor trolly and the birds are excellent.
    When I read "almost scratch less" I just looked at your profile to see the date of joining. It was a 2011 and so not in 185mm GC Punto. So another congrats for
    keeping the beauty scratch free (except for the one mentioned in the thread):up

My personal choice for punto is ghat roads where it is totally dominant than anything other on the roads. Nothing close to it(other than its bigger brother) to catch up with it in the superior dynamics.

Waiting for the next posts.
  5. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Congrats for successfully doing the mighty Himalayas in the mighty Punto! Now, that's some dream realized. Great pics - keep em coming. Well, I am glued to this one waiting for more. You got an ardent follower of your travelogue :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. Sandipan,

What camera you used to take this pics ? i loved the Litchi pics very much.
  7. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks SUNGOA & LOWFLIER.Will post the 2nd day part around 11:30 pm today after coming back from affice @10:30pm.Thanks again.
    SUNGOA I will post all those pics that has allready been posted in the ownership thread + many.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

Mine is a humble LUMIX FZ-28(2009).THANKS.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  8. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    One thing I forgot to mention,a swift dezire(with a professional driver)was also part of this trip.

DAY2--03/06/2012--MALDA to MIRIK :-

ROUTE-->MALDA--RAIGANJ--DALKHOLA--ISLAMPUR--BAGDOGRA--KADMAMOR--DUDHIA--MIRIK

DAYS HIGHLIGHT--

1)Forgot to note the tripB data but it's @ 280km.
    2)NH-31 from DALKHOLA to BAGDOGRA is a very good four laner barring a few kilometers of double lane before & after ISLAMPUR.
    3)Don't want to mention again about NH-34.
    4)The first stretch in the hills started with a steep up followed by a steep down.The surface was also bad.Thank god I didnot felt nervous and tackled it with confidence.
    5)The hilly road from DUDHIA to MIRIK is good apart from few exception.

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT---

Got the real test of the huge torque of this engine,also loved the 1st gear.On NH-31 touched 150kmph.

PICS OF DAY2-----

NH-34
    P1060565.jpg

WANT TO HAVE A TEST
    P1060573.jpg

FRESH TEA LEAVES
    P1060579.jpg

MAHANANDA BRIDGE
    P1060585.jpg

WAY TO MIRIK
    P1060591.jpg

JUST BEFORE MIRIK
    P1060595.jpg

MIRIK LAKE
    P1060604.jpg

MIRIK LAKE
    P1060605.jpg

TOWARDS MIRIK
    P1060588.jpg

ENJOYING THE BEAUTY OF THE HILL
    P1060589.jpg

TEA ESTATE JUST BEFORE BAGDOGRA
    P1060580.jpg

GIVE ME CONFIDENCE
    P1060582.jpg

TEA GARDEN
    P1060576.jpg

TEA GARDEN
    P1060577.jpg

TEA GARDEN
    P1060578.jpg

NH-31
    P1060566.jpg

TEA GARDEN JUST BESIDE NH-31
    P1060567.jpg

TEA GARDEN
    P1060570.jpg

TEA GARDEN
    P1060572.jpg
    8 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Excellent photos and lot of greenery. Was it raining there?
    If possible post the route map also. :D
  10. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    DAY3--04/0602012--MIRIK--BATASIALOOP--MIRIK:-

ROUTE-->MIRIK--PASUPATIBAZAR--JOREPOKHRI--SUKHIAPOKHRI--GHOOM--BATASIA LOOP--
    and back to MIRIK via same route.

DAYS HIGHLIGHT--

1)Distance covered--85.8 km,avg speed--18 kmph,avg consump--13.6 kmpl
    2)Todays route was totally on the hills
    3)The ~2km road from the main road(MIRIK--GHOOM) to the JOREPOKHRI tourist lodge is bad.Bad surface,steep up,hair pin bends,small ponds;it presented us very sort of difficulty.
    4)Location of the JOREPOKHRI tourist lodge(at ~7400 ft)is just superb.
    5)From ghoom we faced a huge traffic jam caused by DARJEELING bound traffic.
    6)The scenic beauty of this route(MIRIK--JOREPOKHRI--GHOOM) is just unforgettable.
    7)We faced a huge movement of clouds which reduced the visibility to a bare min.
    8)Were lucky to saw two toy trains at BATASIA LOOP.
    9)The ~2 km branch route from the MIRIK--GHOOM route is bad with bad surface,hair pin bends steep ups small ponds etc.But frankly I came to the hill to drive on such roads & I enjoyed that.And I think my PUNTO also enjoyed it.

PUNTO HIGHLIGHT--
    PUNTO was as usual superb with all it's abilities.Saved me once with its superb steering response and dynamics when a upcoming police pilot did not give horn and did not maintain its side on blind hairpin bend.

PICS OF DAY3 COMING--
    1 person likes this.