1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First time car owner review...

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sundar1900, Jun 24, 2012.

1. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    As many of you know I bought my Punto 1.3 mjd 75 hp in April and till now run some 3700 KM. Once I went for a long trip of around 1500 km. As a first time car owner and have not used to drive any other cars, I might have taken many good things in Punto for granted. But recently I got a chance to drive my neighbour's Wagon R. It was parked on the way so I had to move it away. I got the key and opened the door. I realised the first big difference, the door was very light and seriously I felt it like a toy car's door. The thud in Punto make me feel sitting in safe bunker but this is totally absent in other hatches. In my short time inside the cabin I understood what people call as handling and precise steering. The steering was like a video car's gizmo totally disconnected from wheels. I was not sure how much I need to turn the steering to take the car out delicately in the narrow space. As I have not driven it on open road I cannot comment on ride quality. Even my friends who comes with me prasied that Punto gives a secure feeling.

Punto has very good brakes and precise steering which I can tell for sure. In my long trip I had to apply sudden brake in one situation as the truck I was overtaking changed lane. The car was completely halted and in style and control. Being a new driver I was amazed how quietly it obeyed its master when he needs to pull it strings!!!
    3 people like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    sundar,
    Dont even think to comment, you will start seeing all Wagon-R owners as an fools driving on highways trying to make more, out of their insurance schemes :D
    It is not that kind off car to comment on the "RIDE QUALITY"
  3. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai
    Hi Ganges, In hatchback is there any car as pleasurable as Punto to drive?
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sundar,
    i have driven only Wagon-R and Hyundai Santro for more than 200 Kms on highway.
    Just had a city drive with Swift VDi.
    Hence, can't comment.
  5. Congrats on your Punter Sundar
  6. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

No.
    But wait a minute. Palio 1.6 ? ;-) or a tuned srv?
    Handling wise I think the swift might be at par.
    About the ride quality, the punto's ride is better than that of BMWs :O
    In spite of having rear drums, the puntos braking is among the best in the hatch segment.
    Bring build quality to the picture, and only the fabia can rival it.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have high regards for Skoda Fabia even though I haven't driven it. This hatch should be good in handling, steering and also with the ride quality. A Skoda Fabia once gave me a very tough time on a highway. He almost kept pace with my Linea. That is when I have got very high regard for this car.
  8. sundar1900

sundar1900 Amatore

Chennai

I am surprised hear this about fabia since it has 3 cylinder engine
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True. That is the biggest negative for this vehicle. If it had 1.3 MJD, it would have been another able Hatch. Fabia is more spacious than Punto, more lengthy than punto and also has very good boot space as well.
  10. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    On corners Fabia is not as good as punto. Regarding length the actual length of punto is 30mm longer than Fabia. But in india for tax relief they reduced it to 13mm shorter than Fabia. On straight roads fabia is a killer no matter whether it has a 3 cylinder engine. But still Punto is the bench mark in all driving aspects.