1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First service query

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by Paul_Walker, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Paul_Walker

Paul_Walker Novizio

Bengaluru
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,
    My Punto 1.3 75hp is due for its 5k first service next month. Current odo is 4k. My drive has been 75% on highways and 80% of the time above 80 - 90 km/hr (upto 140km/hr during recent TFI - Bangalore meet :)).
    As you can see, I have not babied my car too much during run in period ( if there is any). Can you please provide your valuable suggestion on below points before I go far 5K servicing
    1. Is it advisable to change the engine oil during this service?
    2. I have heard that fiat cars come with anti rust coating, still should I go for any other?
    3. How important and how much useful paint sealant coating in maintaining paint in good condition?
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Paul_Walker, Its always a mixed opinion about changing the engine oil in the first service. When I insisted, the service guys said it was not necessary to change and did not change stating that the oil filter would do the job of filtering the iron filings if any.

Also I have heard that fiat engine are pre-run engines before they are put into the car.

Yes, the car do come with anti-rust rubber paint. You can check in the service center asking them to put the car in ramp. Make sure your under body is not scrapped anywhere. I had a scrap once and the area started rusting. I asked them to do a anti-rust treatment when I gave the car recently for another complaint.

Paint sealant are temporary solution. I did the paint protection film in 3M at major areas which could get scrapped.
    Paul_Walker likes this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    5K servicing is just check-up, but changing engine oil is a good choice.
    Don't worry about run-in, all fine.

Anti rust coating, I think you mean for underbody, right? Though it is not required as such, but if can spend get it done from 3M. For body paint protection, same answer, it is not required, but if you want, get it done from 3M.
    Paul_Walker likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Answering your queries serially
    1) Not necessary. 5K service is not actually a service, its a checkup to see if everything is holding fine. At the max they top up fluids.
    2) They do come with an factory applied anti rust under body coating but the thickness isnt that great. Its will see you through for the first year after which you can get the 3M coating done.
    3) If its a new car, then get the paint sealant applied. If its already 4-5 months old, then suggest you skip it.
    Paul_Walker likes this.
  5. Paul_Walker

Paul_Walker Novizio

Bengaluru
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Luckily, so far I have not scrapped under body on any of bangalore's notorious road humps, so I will postpone this for a while.

Initially I was very sure about sealant protection, Now I am thinking to get it done as swirl marks started appearing on the surface though am using only micro fiber duster :(
  6. Paul_Walker

Paul_Walker Novizio

Bengaluru
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This Saturday I got my first service done at KHT, whitefield. There I met @sathishrx who was there for winter checkup camp. It was nice meeting him again after TFI Bangalore meet and chit chat about Punto :)
    There were no major issues, only the front passenger door unlock handle had become loose and front windshield bottom fiber beading was bulged at few places since the time of delivery ( may be at their yard ). Only door handle problem was rectified and I was told that beading bulge problem is common even in new cars and I believed them. But is it true :confused:?
    Overall I was happy with the service and response from the KHT, UNTIL I noticed two scratches on either sides of the back doors after reaching home :rage: . This was informed and they have asked me to visit them again next weekend.
    sathishrx and Ravi like this.