1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First Service 3k or 5k?

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by shikhar10882, Aug 19, 2012.

1. TFIans...
    One more point I need your advice on...
    My Jet has run for more than 2200 kms now.. and I face a big question...
    Going thru the threads, and other fiat owners I have talked to, many of them are of mind frame that the first service of the car is scheduled @3000 kms while the service booklet says 5000 kms.
    Dilema... Should I get her serviced at 3k or 5k.
    Advantage of 3K:
    The car is inspected and any irregularity shall be caught 2k km earlier.
    Disadvantage of 3k:
    The first service is only mainly visual inspection and top ups, and the second service stands at 15k, so the gap, which was 10k as per the service booklet between the first and second service, actually will increase to 12k.

Another point (on the lighter side)
    While the first service is scheduled (as per the booklet) at 5k or six months, and second at 15k or 12 months, do the fiat guys actually expect us to drive double the distance (10k km) in the 6 - 12 months of what we drive in 0-6 months of ownership?
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Shikhar, FIAT cars are serviced at every 15000Km or 1 year whichever is early, whether it's Punto 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4, Linea, 1.3, 1.4 or T-JET.

I feel that 5000km/6months is better than 3000Km/3months as the car is given too soon to the A.S.S. Mine was scheduled at 3000km/3months. Linea T-JET was the first car that came with first service coupon of 5000Km/6months in October 2010.

In case, there are some niggles that need to be sorted, one can get the service done at 3000Km if the service center agrees.
    Otherwise, 5000Km or 6 months is a better time as it is just an inspection. They will, anyways, do nothing (if you do not report any niggle) except trying to make you feel that they are looking at the car as per some checklist and a car wash. :)

As far as running is concerned, sometimes it is variable. e.g. I did 3 months inspection at 1100Km only but 1 year service was done at 13500Km.

So, for those who have a higher running, they simply get it serviced based on kilometers. Those who have a low running get the car serviced based on time, 6 months, 1 year, 2 year and so on.

If the running was expected to be doubled in the 6-12 month period, there would have been no mention of the time. Second service would have been done at 15000Km simply. :)
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ha... True the time and running correlation @paddleshifter....
    Thanks... Pondering over the alternatives, the hunch was confirming to your opinion...
    However, a small concern... As I have pointed out in my thread http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/6929-query-delhi-mumbai.html, I am not able to finalize between 'before the journey' & 'during the journey options...
    Would be glad if you can put some inputs there as well...
  4. PaddleShifter

Grande Punto 1.3
    If I were you, I would have gone for the routine inspection service either before or after. First service is just a formality if there are no niggles to take care of. No need to keep service at the back of mind. I would recommend getting it done before the jouney and have peace of mind during the trip. :)
  5. @PaddleShifter: Thanks a ton sir...
    I think I will be following your suggestion on this one!!!!
  6. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Did not find the need to create a new thread.
    My punto is nearing its 1st service 4525 km run, just a query on the cost of the service.
    wheel alignment is mentioned as standard check on the service book, would wheel alignment be charged by service centre?
    Also is it a good idea to get wheel alignment and rotation done at reputed tyre shop? please suggest.
    1 person likes this.
  7. PaddleShifter

Grande Punto 1.3
    When I got the first 3 services done, they used to charge for both wheel alignment and balancing. I used to get wheel balancing removed from the list and charges for wheel balancing omitted as its part of the service. For the first 3 services we pay only for consumables.

During 3rd service, they messed up the wheel alignment and steering got tilted. This happened bcoz they didnt fix steering in the center position and it got tilted.

I have been avoiding wheel alignment at ASC since then. You should do it there though in case they say that it might void the warranty of the suspension.
    1 person likes this.
  8. bharath

bharath Regolare

Useful Infos.Thanks for this thread..Our Linea has already crossed 5k but yet to give for first service.Checked with CAI Coimbatore and they have given a privilege of another 1000 km.I think 7500 should be given for first service instead of 5k where we can do a oil refill without second thought..
  9. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    First Service Details:

1. Cost - 0.0 Rs. (B'coz it is routine checkup, they will fill topup the oils if required with out any cost)
    2. They Do Wheel Alignment if you request ..... I did as i was getting vibration in steering while crossing 80 k/h and more.
    3. Wheel Alignment is charged to me. cost for this 280 bucks.

"Still sometimes i feel vibration on steering while driving more than 95 K/H. But this is very rarely happen. Can someone help me out why is it so?"
  10. shams

shams Esperto

^^Himanshu usually it is wheel balancing which is charged where as wheel alignment is free in free services.
    I would suggest get alignment/balancing done outside at some reputed shop.