1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First Month with My TJET+

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by acechip, Feb 10, 2012.

1. acechip

acechip Superiore

All,
    Crossed the first baby steps, covered over 1200km in the month of ownership. My initial observations
    1) the dealer supplied Reverse parking mirror came loose- which the dealer (Pandit) duly fixed.
    2) Minor rattling somewhere on top of the Music system, which happens when the car hits a sudden rough surface..I have installed Ganesha figure there, may be thats a bit loose ? Dont know, will have to check.

3) Performance wise- well, I am treating this car rather carefully, because I havent really explored the realms of the 2500-3000RPM territory. On the short trip on Pune EWay, I didnt cross 2500 RPM on a sustained basis. While overtaking, I short-shift (as recommended by a TFIan), so never cross the 2200 mark.
    In all, the performance is rather on the sedate side, as opposed to the True nature that the TJet is supposed to exhibit.
    Maybe its my driving style that sorta hampers the car :rolleyes: . Any suggestions to bring the Oomph factor in?

4) FE- 12.6 KPL (trip-avg) in city, touched 16.5kpl (trip-average) on one E-way run..Not too bad I guess.

5) The car attracts LOTS and LOTs of dust in this Pune city conditions !!..:mad:
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good to see you're enjoying the JET.

While overtaking, just punch the throttle, don't bother about changing gears (to prevent high rpms) during overtaking, and downshift to use all the power if needed. It's a safety hazard to bother about high rpm's etc while overtaking . Even if the revs reach 4000+ when you punch it during overtaking, it's a no issue at all. Also, try not to be so religious about 2200rpm or any xyz rpm limit. Drive it normally, show it some revs!

I don't think you've really explored the Jet's powerband, yet. ;)

Cheers.
  3. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Which color is it, the TW is also hellish to maintain :|

Also, try to keep revs about 1100, atleast that's what I do, I've run about 800kms so far.

I try to always be in the range 1200-2k and if need be take it upto 3k, there have been stints upto 3.5k but for a couple of seconds.

Just be smooth with the car and don't baby it, plus since you're over 1k you can start getting a bit comfortable with the car.

Enjoy :)
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    emot-jawdrop.gif

That's just lugging the engine, mate. Not advisable at all.
  5. abhinit90

abhinit90 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    What I meant was above 1100, pardon me, I don't know what I was thinking, or maybe my DP is apt :p

But yes @OP please keep it above 1100 or above 1200 preferably
  6. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    I used to short shift (i presume it means not letting the rpms rise much before shifting to the next gear) earlier. Now I have started driving in the turbo band instead (comfortably go to 3k+ rpm even on 2nd gear) - without flattening the accelerator - and I can see that my gear shifts are fewer and the fuel efficiency is better. I am of-course talking about city driving. On highways where traffic and braking are less, I think shifting relatively early should make more sense.

Try it.

Gurji: I don't think the TJet lugs at even 1000 rpm?
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

The problem is the Maruti way of driving. I had the DZire Diesel earlier, and once past 40kph, would settle into the 4th gear comfortably. This one does too, but it appears to do it in a sedate manner. Need to remind myself that its okay to be in the 3rd gear, at 2000RPM,at 40-50 kph..the other problem with Pune city traffic is that no sooner you hit 50kph, you need to slow down for the vehicle in front of you..:irked
  8. omzworld

omzworld

You have been too cautious in my humble opinion.
    Please drive normally, let the turbo be used. Only point do not floor the accelerator. Let the revs build up.
    Move your upper limit to at least 2500rpm and frequently go to 3000 for short stints.
  9. rsinfo

rsinfo Regolare

New Delhi
    Try this on a lonely road. Speed up to 30-35 kms. in 3rd gear & STOP looking at rpm meter. Now accelerate a little harder. The car should pull like mad [that would be turbo kicking in at around 2k rpm]. Enjoy.
  10. acechip

acechip Superiore

Need to try this on a lazy Sunday afternoon. BTW, any comments on that minor "rattling" thing I mentioned ? Doesnt disturb me too much, but its peculiar that it appears to emanate from just above the music system, and that too audible when the car moves from a smoothish road to a rough surface. At first I thought it was my mobile rattling inside its rather tiny cupholder space.