1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIRST CNG LINEA IN DELHI,hell in india (CNG'ed MY LINEA) !!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by anish_707, May 18, 2011.

1. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    fantastic job done on your car. u are lucky that you got the authorized installer so no tension of duplicate parts at all.
  2. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Now I am also planning for CNG installation.

Dilip and other who have CNG already installed, pls share your exp so far. This will help to decide further.
  3. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,

I have driven only 3000kms. on CNG !!!

Earlier used to get 16km/kg , now it has increased to 22+km/kg ... Veryyyyy cheap !!! :D

There is little power lag , which can be fixed by installing a component [forgot the name , available with the installer] .. Costs Rs.2000/-.I havent fixed it till yet ... I do have the K&N for the rescue !!! The cold air-intake is super osm during the winters :dancing

Using CNG , leads to drying up of some valves [sry cant remeber its name either:(] . Even there is a solution for that , a resevior like thing is availalbe , fixed in the engine bay ; it will lubricate the valves timely ...Costs another 2000 bucks !!!!
    Note : usually petrol lubricates these valves ...

Also , the intallation is very neat .. No issues till yet [fingers crossed] .... Indirectly , helped in getting rid of rear thud noise which used to come when going over speed-breakers !!!!!

Caution : please dont go for CONVENTIONAL CNG kit .. Drove a friends Punto 1.2 with this kit , and the car doesnt move at all ... Even cyclewalas breeze past us ... Also, conventional kit leads to back-fires, and for Punto with plastic manifolds it would create more problems in the future...
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

@Dilip, looks like its a go ahead after reading your feedback.
  5. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    So where are you getting it done from ??? Got any price quotes ?

Cost update :

CNG Kit + Tank(14kg) = Rs.54000+
    RC Endorsement = Rs.3000-5000/-
    Valve Lubrication Resevoir = Rs.2000/-
    Performance Booster =Rs.2000/-

Total = ~65000/-

Note:

1.Kit prices have increased due to increase in demand

2.Sequential Kits are BS4 compliant , hence no RTO approval avaialble for our BS3 Puntos . Therefore, ur RC is endorsed and will mention that ur car has been fixed with a Conventional kit . A dummy reducer would be fixed till u get the approval . Thats the reason why the charges are so high [bribing even when u r trying to save the environment (nd ur pocket as well :p)]

3.Install only the 14kg tank as it sweetly fits the Punto's boot. Stands for 12kg tank would be higher , making it more unstable and dangerous . There isnt much of a cost difference between the two .

The best thing is : I had last filled in Petrol [full tank] in August , and the needle has just moved a little ... Its a good feeling .

I fill up CNG from IGL Ghazipur besides NH24 [going towards Akshardham] . One gets full pressure all the time . Maximum I have been able to fill is 10.5kgs only ....

Hope I have mentioned everything .
    Rest if u have any doubt, feel free to call me up any time (on my panipat number)...

Dilip
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

@Dilip, I don't have your Panipat number.

Also, I discussed about CNG installation with my known person in Fiat who asked me to hold for sometime. Something is there in Fiat's mind. He will update me soon regarding CNG kit from Fiat. Waiting for his reply now.
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In my society there is a guy who had modified his new SX4 to CNG. (I am not sure whether it is sequential or conventional).

The other day, he brought his car into the complex using a tow vehicle. The front portion of the car & the complete interior were fully burnt out. The two front tyres were totally burnt, and the alloys were partially melted. He claims that the car caught fire while stationary. However, the info from the driver is that it was involved in a head on crash - surprisingly the driver who was in the car was not injured.

I am enclosing a photo of the car.

Makes me wonder about the safety of these modifications.

Regards
    Johnny

CNG-accident.jpg
  8. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Valve Saver Kit : Valve Saver Kit from JLM, the ulitmate Valve Saver Kit. The only Valve saver kit with a proper test report to proof it works!

Sequential kits have a device called hydrostatic relief valve which is generally placed between the gas tank and the fuel line.This valve regulates the pressure of the gas within the pipeline and the tank and releases the gas if there is a rare pressure build up. Also the tanks are filled to only 80% of the total capacity leaving enough scope of expansion due to temperature changes. Also the tank device i.e the "MULTIVALVE" has a pressure relief valve.

It all depends on how the kit has been installed !!!

Even a diesel/petrol car can catch fire during an accident .
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Pune
    Hey Nitin,
    Did you get any update from your source in FIAT?

-Sachin
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    just in case some of you dont know. have fitted a conventional cng kit in my linea. paid 31k for it. the car is running great and very minimum power lag. have also added rubber pads in the rear springs to raise affected height by cng. even with 5 people and luggage the car's rear does not bounce (which is very common in other cng fitted cars). i get around 20km/kg when driven around 120 on the highways. am yet to test it with a light foot.
    the only cause of concern is the rising cng rated. already increased 7rs after i installed. its 48rs a kg now. still the running cost is at lest 50% less than petrol.