1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First Car Dillemma

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by omzworld, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omzworld

omzworld

Thanks Srida. Good to hear some one else like me.
    Even I am making some financial plans to convince my mind 90HP Punto makes sense :D
    Decision in few days. Thanks every one for your suggestions.
  2. omzworld

omzworld

Update of 90hp vs 75hp

Update of 90HP vs 75HP driving test by my colleague. Please help me understand our observations:
    • 90hp stanalone very sprightly and acceleration in 3rd, 4th, 5th and from 2k RPM onwards amazing
    • No noice reached 160 with little effort in NICE road. 140 cruising.
    • 2nd gear lag from 1200-1500rpm very bad. It was almost crawling
    • ----------------------------------------------
    • 75hp much more eager to jump after 2krpm. 'Felt' even faster than 90hp
    • In traffic pulled cleanly even from 1300rpm and past 2000 simply jumps ahead. Reachd 120 without a lot of effort. Touched 140 as it was evening, more power was left.
    • -----------------------------------------------
    • odometer reading: 90hp (3000), 75hp(18000)

Almost finalizing 75hp emotion over 90hp. 1lac saved! Please help me understand if these observations not making sense. I thought 90 would anywhere beat 75:(
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I would disagree with the observation. 90HP will be the king of hatchback on a highway. I don't know what was wrong on the test drive vehicle.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. 90 vs 75

Is 90 HP 1 Lac more than 75 HP ? Isn't it just 40 K. I felt 90 HP better then 75 from 2nd gear. 90 HP surely will beat 75 anyday.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    True Srida. 90HP would beat 75.
    He is actually comparing 75HP Emotion to that of 90HP Emotion Pack. Initially I too thought the same. How come 90HP is 1L more than that of 75.
  6. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Here in Pune the difference is near about 30-40k. In ur case may be there is possibility of Engine smoothness as 90HP completed only 3000km and 75hp completed 18000. In 75hp Punto Engine was completed set/opened IMO.

Still I recommend Punto90HP. Go for it.
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

• 90 HP is high reving engine. Reving capacity is more in 90 HP.

When I had taken TD of 90 HP I also noticed that in 2nd gear from 1200-1500 RPM there is very much lag.

At low RPM 75 BHP is perky than 90 HP. Real strong power of 90 HP starts onwards 2000 RPM like i-20.

Below 2000 RPM there is no feeling that you are driving more powerful car. Additional 15 horses works after 2000 RPM.
      90 HP is made for those love Padal to Metal action. You have to push throttle more in 90 HP.

In the field of strong low end grunt 75 BHP wins the hand.

Many people complain that, on highway Vista (Q.jet),Swift,Ritz easily overtakes 75 HP. For them FIAT has made 90 HP.
      For city handling 75 BHP is dream machine & on highway racing 90 HP is trumph card.

In 75 BHP real power mode of car starts from 1500 RPM
      In 90 BHP real power mode of car starts from 2000 RPM

Take an example of 2 wheelers. At low RPM Pulsar 150 is more perky than Pulsar 180.
      Same case is of 75 & 90 HP. Now choice of yours.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

@OMZworld: congratz on a good decision. At your age period and with your finances, this is the best time to buy the car.

Disclaimer: My views may not be rational, and may end up confusing you more :devilface

What kind of driving do you envisage more? Highway or City? If your finances allow, you can stretch for 90 HP. but question is - do you really need it.

From your point of view, the savings is about 1L. Now, the interest you will be paying for this additional 1L will be about 20K (@12.5 floating) - so in total, it is 1.2L.

Apart from power delivery, there is not much difference in 90 hp and 75 hp, and 75 hp do goes at respectable speeds.
    How fast a driver\rider are you? If you are a person who rarely goes above 120-140 band, then 75HP will be a good choice.

If after driving for some time, you feel the need for more power, you can always go the ECU Remap\Power box way.

I took 75 HP Active because I do not want the extra bells and whistles ( I would have loved if there was an option to pay extra to get only ABS \+ Airbag) and I plan to go the ECU remap\Chip way after 1 or 2 years of ownership.

With the amount of 1.2L saved, invest it wisely - may be in Gold MF or in some other debt funds (considering today's market volatility). It will come in handy when you are ready to purchase your dream home. This is almost like having your cake and eating it.

I too agree with the Fiat\RE comparison. Both have their own quirks but once you are addicted, almost nothing else will satisfy you. I am also a fellow Fiat+RE owner.

OT: Wonder if Tata and Fiat can make a hatch with driving dynamics and comfort of Punto and back seat comfort of Vista. Now, that will be something really irresistible.
  9. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    omz, let me add some points in 90hp vs 75hp debate:

1. Peak Torque and rpm- Peak torque in 75 hp comes at 1750rpm while the peak torque in 90Hp comes at 2000rpm. But 90Hp has a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) by the way.
    I believe that the difference was because of the odo reading. 75Hp had done 18000km while 90hp is just 3000km old.

Well, Swift owners themselves say that they "can't" take Swift beyond 120kmph as it feels dangerous. I am quoting my colleague. I have overtaken Swift at a speed in excess of 150kmph in 75hp where the Swift never really had a chance even though the driver was pushing hard.

Swift and other Maruti cars are so light weight cars that they will even overtake 90Hp during take off. But if it comes to a highway race like you are talking about, the happiness of a Swift driver is short lived, no matter 75 or 90Hp.

Benefits of 90hp over 75hp:
    - Lower NVH inside the cabin. This is the best feature of 90hp.
    - Better for high speed runs (>120kmph).
    - Slightly better FE as compared to 75hp when driven with mileage in your mind rather than performance.

Benefits of 75hp over 90hp:
    - Money saved by opting for 75hp can be used for buying fuel for your car. If you have saved 50k, then you can go upto 20-25 thousand kilometers with that money if you drive only on highways.
    - Torque peaks at 1750 so a little advantage for city traffic driving even if it has a smaller fixed geometry turbocharger (FGT).
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. omzworld

omzworld

75hp Emotion it is!!!!

Thanks a lot everybody for suggestions and explanations.
    Even if I would like to call mysely fast driver but then I firmly believe in indian roads cruise speed can not be more than 100-120kmph. If 75hp cruises easily at 100-120 and has a little more power left to overtake that swift or vista...Nothing like that!!

My only concern was, 1 year down the line I should not feel bad about taking less powerful car.

I have a gladiator which is an amazing bike. Reaches 90kmph easily and very confidence inspiring ride at high speed. But I really miss the power to take it furhter and feel if I had waited few more months got a more powerful bike. But as our friend Anup has told ECU remap, tuning box is still an option for us down the line!!

1.2 lac of course is a big sum and I can imagine how much of happy miles I can clock with it(44,348 to be precise considering Rs46 diesel and 17kmpl);)

Thanks everyone 75hp Emotion it is!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.