1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First Car Dillemma

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by omzworld, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omzworld

omzworld

Hi Friends, I have been considering getting my first car since last 1 year (already 1.5yrs into marriage) and getting confused day by day.
    First up I do not know driving yet so most of my perception has been gathered looking at forms like this, carwale, teambhp etc. I am around 6'1 in height and our family has evolved from Girraffes :). My parents do come up to our place for few months so
    1. Front and Rear leg room is important
    2. It should be diesel - Want to take many long drives
    3. Should be value for money
    4. ABS must. Airbag optional. During our recent trip to Goa I have seen even Innova skidding
    5. Budget between 6.5 - 7.5l OTR
    6. Most Important - Must bring out a smile while driving

I have given my heart to Punto since the day I saw it on road for the first time and BNW the color, but after seeing so many niggling issues in various forums, some minor and some major, I am feeling too very nervous even too consider it. Also paying most of my savings and getting into trouble from day 1(as in some case) is very disheartening.

Fellow members can help me out here. Also any pointers about ASS in Bangalore will be helpful.
    Finally if there are people here who are planning to buy Punto can come togehter for Group purchase and try to negotiate with dealers.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi omz, welcome to TFI. Let me open the post count here by assuring you that the A.S.S. in Bangalore is one of the best you will find in India IMO. Read TFI Moderator Ravi's experience. Concorde Dairy Circle stocks all the parts, and is highly competent in handling the FIAT cars.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi omz, do not worry about ASS if you are in Bangalore. As Yashik pointed out, its one of the best. Concorde has very good reviews and I have never had any problems with KHT also.
    About niggles, cars of all brands have some or the other niggles but most of them go unnoticed. Fiatians love their cars so much that even the smallest of niggle cannot escape for their keen eyes.
    And there is nothing that cannot be resolved.
    Rest assured that punto is the best choice that you can make today in its category
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    FIAT ASS is as bad as maruti, hyundai, or any other brand. ASS depends more so on the labour and their intensions of working other than just the company and its supplies of parts. I have never received a satisfactory service from either maruti(zen), hyundai(accent), honda(accord), Ford(endeavour) but i am yet to face problems with FIAT.
    Also looking at your post it seems in-cabin space is of high importance, did u take a look at the skoda fabia, a tad boring but impeccably spacious and has good amount of features also add to that the fact that the prices have been brought down and is now a far more VFM buy than what it was earlier. But do remember the fact that it is a 3 cylinder tractor and is slightly on the noisier side
  5. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not a SKODA Fabia for sure as Skoda has already proved that their cars are faulty, their engines give up, a rear view mirror of my friend's Skoda was quoted at Rs25000. Yes, Rs25000.

Buy a FIAT with eyes closed and hands tied over a Skoda anyday.
  6. omzworld

omzworld

Thanks everyone for replies! So, 1 thing is given there will be small issues here and there but I understand in Blore ASS is good enogh to fix most of these.
    Somehow makes me compare Fiat with Royal Enfield in India. Both have fair share of issues, even few common (Rusting, Gearbox(Compared to Japs), Clutch) but still the Fan following they enjoy is commendable :)

@Phew - No Fabia! I have heard enough horror stories of Skoda ASS already! I feel Fiat ASS might be way better than Skoda anyday. And the car doesnt excite me at all.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Very true, but the niggles in both FIAT and RE are blown out of proportion..It wont be surprising to know that many Fiatians own a Royal Enfield too.. I am one of them!!
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Buddy, this website is like an FBI archive on "FIAT IN INDIA". Every small issue is being discussed to a length for a single brand at a single place. So you feel as if the niggles are plaenty. There is a thread even on minor squeaks while rattles are a feature of other cars like Swift etc.

We do bother about even the slightest hint of a thing not being 100% ok.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard mate.

Not at all. It is not a given that every car walks out of dealership with niggles. A proper and a thorough PDI will ensure that niggles, if any, will be taken care of pre-delivery only. Here is the link to the FIAT specific PDI checklist.

Cheers.
  10. L0dest0ne

L0dest0ne Novizio

New Delhi
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    This is interesting indeed! This was exactly how I described the experience of test driving the Punto and the i20; its like a Bullet and a Pulsar!

I own an Enfield Standard 350 and have now booked a Punto 90 HP!

And yes I agree the niggles on an Enfield are overblown. In any case there is just no bike like it :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.