1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First 110 hp petes performance remapped punto in india

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Nimish antony, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I think you are right..
    But here are a few more doubts..
    1.) If emission is a problem , then i think detuning is not the solution for this, simply because cars sold in other countries have far higher norms than we do in India or at least enforced in bits and pieces that many dont bother about it too much.
    2.) Reliability is "NEVER going to be an issue" because the company themselves openly accept that they have been detuning the car for India.
    (You can't detune a 100BHP car to 70BHP and say its more reliable, Unless there has been extensive mods to the whole setup like changing the engine block ,
    intakes, exhaust, gear box so on, such that they are only going to do well when mated with 70BHP.
    This is because the companies would require to re-engineer all the components AGAIN, to suit this change. AFAIK why would the company try to reinvent the wheel and incur more expenditure whey they can simply play with the ECU software to get the job done.)

Service intervals can be 1 major issue for which cars are detuned in india ...
    However a guy who is ready for tuning , should know about this prior to getting it done in the first place.
    So even this is not an issue.
    Then why is the scene here so bad and why are we so apprehensive.. I dont understand.

Any experts would care to comment please?
  2. Theblack,

Toyota Innnova's 2.5 ltr engine is detuned to provide only 102 BHP and 220 nm torque, look at the specs of Suzuki Ertiga it provides 90BHP using 1248 cc engine with 220 nm torque.
    Even the engines used on Liva and etios are detuned.

-Sat
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Right my point is not that.. What i'm trying to address here is..
    based on my above posts, it should not be a problem if i remap or add a TB to my car..
    That's what I'm talking about.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Sure, There can be endless if & buts
    1. Overflowing traffic jams in India. Direct impact on engine tuning, mind it.
    2. Temp go close to 50 deg. in summer. Sure another factor is a better performing engine would need cooling too
    3. Fuel quality. No doubt, two separate fuel stations & you will always see two types of performance behavior, clearly noticeable. Mind it anything less than 2-3% degradation isn't even noticeable. Can you imagine how badly engines are fighting?
    4. Market perception, FIAT is easily over cautious in approach as they just don't want their reliability/FE to be questioned.
    5. Even driving styles of a region & average speed:mrgreen:

Again, European VGT are exactly same specification what Indians are. How they are so fast then? Analyse DYNO-GRAPH;)
    I think Gurjinder is right. Need to do some research on FPT official site & then conclude. It's hectic but completely authentic:p.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    In my opinion the main reason why cars are detuned in India is because of poor quality fuel. The detuning is not done for better realibility, but when the ECU is programmed with lesser fuel grade, the performance comes down as a result. I think that this is done even in some SE countries. Thailand is a case in point. The specs of say a Honda Civic sold in the USA & Thailand are different - the Thai model having lower power ratings.

The point to keep in mind is that in case the ECU is remapped for better performance, the tolerance of the engine to poor quality fuel will also come down. The likely outcome is self explanatory.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Right my point is not that.. What i'm trying to address here is..
    based on my above posts, it should not be a problem if i remap or add a TB to my car..
    That's what I'm talking about.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Hold your horses. You should also know upto what extent since they can be remapped to astonishing figures(30%). I am certain that in Europe, they share the same blocks through not only Diesels but Turbo Petrols too. They even share the BOREXSTROKE there. Since there have been 5 injectors in MJD-1, it could be very well be common through the range.
    Source is "Italiaspeed.com". For Europe, they share same blocks & Turbo's with bigger engines (It's cost effective measure by Manufacturer's to get the variety from the same DIYs:cool), Same Injectors (quantity vs cost factor) which can get on with more pressure maintained. It makes complete sense for an investor.

For India, never found any reference on this as they have a completely separate manufacturing facility here & you never know until it's officially written somewhere:(.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. once the tuner takes the remap to 30% gains stock air fileter or exhaust may not suffice resulting in black smoke at the exhaust and too much back pressure.
    this is just a crude way of analyzing the remap gains best is the dyno.

-Sat
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thread Closed as it has veered OffTopic completely. Another one bites the dust

Nimish Antony's review of the remap is already there in the thread.
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.