1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First 110 hp petes performance remapped punto in india

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Nimish antony, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    98 PCD are available. We have our own TFI who went for 17 inch 100 PCD and it was a direct fit. Were as i went for a 98 17 inch and at the end had to use spigots. Now don't ask me why??? Coz sometimes Fiats are so confusing.

When u break the Magnetto Marelli codes then you have the Canbus which is another tough piece of cake. Overall you have to do more research than any other car in the segment before planning any mod. So make sure you visit the right tuner and ask them for a demo car . Drive it feel the difference and then only go for the remap. Fiats are really tough to break through. We have a great firewall..:D
  2. What I liked about TOT is they change your original file not flash some ready made file, Siddarth spends about 2-3 hours in tuning and spends next 5 hours to modify if you need it something different at certain RPM.
    FIAT's Magneti Merelli ECU has to be opened to read the file, but from what ever I heard from talking to tuners most of them are flashing the file they have in to the ECU.
    Good part is all the stuff is done in front of your eyes and your place.
    -Sat
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nimish,
    is tuning all about only ECU remapping ?
    what about other parameters:-Fuel Injection pump,more the hp the more the operating temperatures hence better cooling ?,thermostats,high pressure pipes,piston cooling,engine timing gears,vaccum pumps, i believe these were the major difference in 75Hp and 90 Hp.

Just ECU remmaping :confused: gives good turbo kick :confused:
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes you are right when I spoke to him. He clearly said I should be free for at least 6hrs
    So that he will ride with me and check my style and tune on the go ..
    This surely is different compared to what I've heard about others.
    Secondly he is genuine enough to tell me that some parts life like clutch will reduce by small amount
    Due to more power. ..
    So he sounds very clear. ..let's see when I meet him
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Ideally remap should come into play right from 1700rpm. Punto 90hp generates max torque at 1750rpm. A remap should maximise this at same point +/- 100 rpm. On a VGT there is better scope of good tuning than FGT.

LOL, you are pulling my leg. But Magnetti Marelli ECUs are way smarter and very hard for a tuner to fool them. I saw couple of remapped puntos and on both of them the no of programming count increased.

Well even if we have a bad luck of not dynoing our cars while remapping, atleast the remap should make good difference to butt dyno :) Power should be distributed across the revv range.
    I wont agree to a tuner if he says he will provide me surge only @ 2500rpm.

For a diesel i would love to play between 1700 to 3500rpm. Anything above it will be pretty useless.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Does it store information about the last ECU flash? When performed and by whom - some FIAT code etc. If it's missing from the ECU log then TASS can establish that yes it's an aftermarket flash.

If it's just a counter, then we can contend that TASS must've has flashed the ECU earlier due to some issue. LOL. What a lame excuse. :lol:
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

My queries are still unanswered, were they that stupid:evilsmile?
    I bet these professional tuners know this. Nimish, help me getting the clarification. If the stuff is as i expected, i won't mind remap it & who cares if TASS finds it out. My desperation for 220 Km/hr would make me ignore all this:cool

1. Is the Turbo working on 1248 MJD VGT is low pressure Turbo? I mean it's the same turbo that is used in 1.6 MJD or 1.9 MJD's which are actually working as high pres? If it is so.
    2. Do they share same blocks so that increased compression ratio won't affect the life span/durability?
    3. Do they share same Injector assembly across the range?
    4. Also what about other parameters like ignition timings, valve timing, drive by wire, ABS/EBD??
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    FPT (FIAT PowerTrain) is the right source for all this info. Send them an email. :)
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Also w.r.t remaps and tuning in general I have this.. It sounds logically right to me ,Please see if you all think this way as well..
    Here is the story to begin with.
    We have all read about tuning and have had a huge debate on what it "Ruins" and what it does not.. (if at all it does!!)
    Now think about this.

(Since this is TFI, we will talk on that term itself)
    FIAT claims my punto can churn out 75BHP, Fine.. (But mind you all this 75BHP is not at the wheels).
    So after all the clutch, gearbox and everything else in between , lets presume that I end up putting about 65BHP on the road.

Point 2
    I take my to a tuner ask him for a mod he says he will extract a max of 90BHP from my engine.I say ok.
    Also , 90BHP from the engine, if i use the same deduction I used earlier. then my car should put 80BHP on the road..
    (All is fair till now??)

Next,
    (Lets do a bit of math)
    If the stock car is rated at 75BHP( that means all the parts are able to sustain at least 75BHP and operate safely without any problems) and my tuned car puts 80BHP on the road , this would mean an increase of 6%... "Its 6%"
    NOW all this discussion of turbo going kaput because of remap, catcon dying, intakes/ clutch packing up almost immediately ..
    If all these issues have occurred for just 6% more than what the company claims their car can handle then I seriously would like to go back to the age of carts and horses because that is JUST too slim a margin of error. I mean with just 6% the company is literally telling us that ,"Look we are selling a car that will die in a short while, its you're headache , if you want to buy it"...
    This just sounds absurd to me.

What do you guys think?

(PS:: yet i bask in glory asking everyone here about remaps and tuning ) ;)
    Is it just a sense of fear that has been instilled into all of us , I wonder :eek:
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

I have read somewhere that Manufacturers under-tune their engines as much as 15%:eek:
    Most of them can easily perform 15% better. Contributing factors are warranty, temperature & humidity level, service intervals, emission norms bla bla. Considering longest warranty, service interval etc. etc. i think MJD's can perform 10% better if not 20%:p.

What else to confirm it further? Watch a couple of 90HPs sold in Europe/Brazil whatever on you tube?
    They do 180 km/hr@3800 RPM ::OOquakk-quakk!!
    Their top speed in stock form easily cross 200 KM/hr
    Yes there could be an additional gear but do you mind 200 km/hr@4000 RPM?
    These MJD's are way more gutsy. FIAT's quest for durability & over cautious approach has bogged them very much. They can easily smoke out all C seg. cars if they were exactly tuned the way they were supposed to:(
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.