1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

First 110 hp petes performance remapped punto in india

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Nimish antony, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    @ clevermax. I do agree with you that the stock punto lacks power when u need it. I would prefer a 75 HP remap just because the turbo kicks at 1700 RPM and the instant gain in power can be felt in the city drive unlike the 90 which needs an open road to fire.

I will be remapping a 75 this week and shall put a detailed test report on how it feels..

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

im not for an argument.. the concept of power is a perception that varies from individual to individual depending on their choice and driving styles. I personally feel that a 75 HP is much better in comparison to a 90 Hp when it comes to a remap.
  2. Thanks mate. Do update on the initial feel after the remap. Can I also drive it next week? :)

Regarding stock Punto lacks power argument - I feel it all the time when I open up the car on good roads (MC road for example) it can do good speeds but it does so when you really ask the engine to do so. A car which does the same thing without that much hesitation is what I need. If you are always going to drive a stock Punto at speeds like 80-85kmph, then the stock form is really adequate.

Somehow I am not comfortable with the idea of plugging in a tuning box, hence my interest in a remap.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Ohhh.. Sure it's another 0-100 guilt posted at Autocar. Dump that because that's completely fake & off by 3 secs. Linea which is quicker than 90HP is mentioned 18.54 secs there.
    FIAT says it 14.1 sec for 90HP & it got to be quicker than FIAT's claim.

I have nothing to say on this further because after all it's not just 0-100 engine of 13-14 secs but sense of humour & a surprise from FIAT.
    Honestly i though you were bored of cruising@190 km/hr on your stock 90 HP & that's why you went for remap. You know, cruise well above that magic mark of 2's;).
    Where, I never ever had complaint for it's 0-100, this engine is super cruiser & makes it unbelievable for beholders.
    The cars you have mentioned above, you would be surprised to know that they can't follow 90 HP for 90 consecutive secs before it disappears along the horizon. Again it's my belief, don't ask me on what bases i came across these conclusions.
    That would violet TFI safety policy:mrgreen:.

By the way, VGT kicks in at 1700 RPM & it's very obvious. The better kick comes around 2200-2400 RPM & another one@3300-3400 RPM. It's 1248 cc capacity in all cars with FIAT sourced engine. I seriously doubt that you didn't notice that 1700 RPM turbo spool in your 90HP else a LEMON one was delivered.
  4. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I had explained the source of data clearly and the statistics are sourced from Autocar india which i believe has been Vbox tested data available. maybe you are right to your claim and autocar has posted a fake data analysis.

The 1700 rpm for FGT and your statement is right. As per our data test with Petes the 90 kicks at 2500 and i presume he is one of the best after market tuners available. In your case maybe it might have kicked at 1700 as mentioned and i am unaware. But to my misery it kicks at 2500 RPM. Puntos behave differently (thats what i conclude)

As i said concept of power is a perception that varies from individual to individual depending on their choice and driving styles. I do agree that the MJD 90 is a cruiser which does well above 90kmh. We are not talking about racing dynamics or a quarter mile where you smoke your opponents. Its an everyday car which offers you the best of both worlds. It was how to transform a powerful car to a better one. An experience that was felt is what we share.
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Fiat hasn't say that it is powerful because it has best 0-100 kmph.
    I analyze the situation like this
    1. A car that is heavier than many of the sedans have a 75 HP/90HP with it.
    2. It has to overcome many challenges that frequently come in its path. Better FE, power for cruising , power to overtake, power to manage on all kinds Ghat roads. less turbo lag and most important SAFTY.
    3.Finally everything has to be fitted in to budget.

Fiat has done a wonderful job in meeting all the above aspects of item (3). So it has taken it's own path to achieve it. So I agree that on an open road swift make better 0-100. But the story ends there. Punto pulls most of the TFian's family in a peppy way. On Ghats it push the Swift's to back. I bet a Punto can give a better average speed than a swift.
    If I derive the average power from that Punto is definitely more powerful than Swift. Fiat didn't make any mistake in their statements.

This 0-100 figure is not much relevant. Just like the one try try to see the details of field oscillations in light. What we see as intensity is a average quantity. So the to much going in to microscopic details doesn't make any sense. What swift gain in 0-100 figure will be lost with Punto in many other aspects. I will start my stop watch when I start, enjoy my drive, look at it when I stop my engine. Look back where are others;)

sorry to deviate the thread topic. Please contine:D
    3 people like this.
  6. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    @ sun- we all vouch for the Fiat because its loaded with features, its build like a tank and for the uncompromising dynamics it offers. Its never a 0-100 car as you said and i do agree completely with you. Fiat has done a wonderful job with the Punto and we all own one because we believe in the best. But as your heart says "Yeh dil mange more" we all expect more. Thats how you add frills to your ride and find out the pros and cons. :D
    1 person likes this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Nimish - forget the TASS even i will be able to make out whether you have remapped your car. Magnetti marelli ECU's have a code which tells how many times the ecu has been remapped.

Whenever i connect my OBD to my car on the very first page i can see ECU programming date and no of programming done.

Make sure with your ECU that Petes has taken care of this.

Secondly i fail to understand what do you mean that the VGT kicks in at 2500 rpm?
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    @ Italia- I had a query on the OBD and had posted the same via mail to Petes and the reply is posted as above.

Regarding the turbo kicking in it i meant that the Remap comes into play only at 2500 RPM and on the 75 it comes to play at 1700 rpm. I will be remapping Romis 75 on the second of may and shall post a detailed thread on the remap comparision of the 75 and 90.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Yes that's what i am wary about. And great info as usual about the Multijet's working. You should be Dr. Amit, PhD Multijet Electronics by now.

Yes. The one in the Linea is happy above 1800 or so ; pretty much instant acceleration from there on. So 2500 does seem very high.

The one thing about which i'm very sceptical of Indian remaps is that there is no before vs after dyno. The peak power may be 100,120hp but if all of that comes at a very high rpm - its of no use. The power has to be spread throughout the rev range. I posted the same query to Peter also (England wala babu), but he never replied.

A dyno run, back to back, of a stock vs remapped engine can tell us where exactly the power is being added. Depending on that the user can customise his remap. To sacrifice a bit of top end for a more useable mid end power and so on.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  10. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    I agree with you Gurjinder. Since we have no dyno runs we have to believe the tuner who claims that the car has 110 Hp and 250 NM torque. The power delivery comes at a higher rpm makes no difference in a normal city drive. The mid range of 1700 to 2300 would be ideal. That does come with with 75 Hp remap as i mentioned earlier. The reasons stated for the higher rpm in the 90 is the VGT takes time to open up and it comes alive only at the said rpm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.