1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fire Extinguisher Needed In Our Cars?

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Harsh, Dec 18, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    But i have a small doubt here.. Do these FExts have a shelf life? . I mean if kept dormant for many years will the substance inside? (foam or whatever is used ) dry out?
  2. I did some research over that...basically they have pressure sustainable for 3-5 years for temperatures ranging from 30° to 55°
    But that was only for carbon based...the issue here is as vehicles can leash out fuel pressures also when they catch fire we need a sulphur based extinguisher which has a shelf life of only 2 years...
    Cease fire one of the leading fire fighting equipment manufacturer says though risky carbon based are the best for vahicular fire fighting as they cut the oxygen supply almost instantaneously and reduce the flamability of the substance that has caught fire
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Having a fire extinguisher is a good for us as well as for our cars too.

We have to change or refill the same after it's expiry date. So just like our servicing, insurance schedules we have to keep track of the expiry date of the extinguisher. Otherwise these are useless.
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This has been in my mind for a long time and I did lot of reading.

One can get the Fire Extinguishers for the cars (It has to be dry powder type) available in the market and have to keep it inside the car and not at the boot. Again, this extinguisher will be of use only when there is very minor fire. If the fire eminates from the engine compartment, it is most likely that you cannot control the fire using this tiny extinguisher. 99.99% of car fires are of this type.

Result - Most likely it will be a total loss.
    Reason - Car fires are extremely dangerous and spread very rapidly. Some parts may even explode (batteries, glasses, etc.,)
    Tips - On this type of fire, give priority to stay away from the car as quick as possible and leave it to professionals to extinguish. After all, Safety should be our top-most priority.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
    3 people like this.
  5. Rachit Bhatnagar

Rachit Bhatnagar Amatore

Dehradun
    Sometimes I too think that we should carry some fire extinguisher & a hammer or metal rod handy, in case doors get jammed after an accident. but so far I am not keeping them in my car as they may create rattling noise also don't find a place to put them. Now thinking of using velcrow & secure it under seat
  6. I asked a friend of mine who has been caught in a fire situation in his indigo marina and he said that though he had 2 extinguishers he could only use the metal part of the canister to break open the rear shield and could not operate the canister because the plastic had got damaged due to prolonged heat as he used to park the car in unsheltered place
  7. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    We have seen cars burning out in the middle of the road one was a I20 and other was a esteem though the cause was short circuit in I20 and cylinder leakage in LGP Kit for esteem nothing could be done than just to evacuate the car and leave it , i don't think the small cylinder can extinguish fire of that extent. Carrying a small hammer in car is a good practice which can be a life saver in such conditions..