1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Finding Vacuum hose for Boost gauge

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sunswape, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Iam planning to install a Boost gauge in my MJD. Can anyone help me in locating vacuum line ? Basically a quick google search told me thta the vacuum pipe of the gauge needed to go in intake manifold to register actual boost pressure. So anybody having any knowledge in this plz pour in your suggestions. A pic of the engine with vacuum line/location to attach this vacuum line of gauge would be of great help.

Thanks.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    What gauge do you intend to use. Mechanical or Electronic.

Find the hose which goes to the MAP. That's your hose. You will have to tap into this hose. Bear in mind, if it starts leaking after installation, that's not good.

But you can read MAP values through a cheap OBD scanner as well?
    2 people like this.
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Iam interested in electronic ones and yes Iam also aware of the risks in fitting one, warranty on whole turbo will go down the drain but I guess if done properly, it wont harm anything, I mean, if I tap and seal the T-point properly, I guess it would be fine. But Iam still not getting the exact pipe. Can you post a pic of the engine for reference, so that I can pin-point it properly ? Would be really thankful

Rest, I also looked into the options available through obd port. Elm bluetooth consumes battery while car is stationary and also checked with ultragauge, found everythin in it bt not boost pressure. Any help in this front plz

- - - Merged Post - - -

Oh, my bad, just rechecked and saw that Ultragauge shows MAP values too. But what if I want boost gauge ? Just need to locate that particular pipe from where I can derive boost pressure. Went TASS and they had no idea, or they were not interested to tell all this. Maybe all this is just a matter of time wastage for them
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    I don't know where the MAP is or the routing of the hose from the manifold to MAP.

But once you install the gauge, you will have to wire it with a switched power supply - meaning you will have to tap into the switched power cables in the wiring loom to enable you to run the gauge only when the ignition is at MAR.

If i'm allowed to give my 2 cents here, i'd just say forget it man. Too much hassle on a stock car.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    MAP sensor is at rear side of inlet manifold. Just below the air cleaner box.
    My advice is not to play with wiring of car. So forget it.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Atlast we agree on something Amol Sir!
  7. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Ok guys, even Iam also thinking not to poke with the wiring, better I go ahead with Ultragauge.

Thanks for helping and giving suggestions. Atleast now I know where is MAP and all :)
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

turbo gauge fitted and working great. No need to drill anything in manifold or such, just did a small drill on one of the pipes carrying turbo pressure, post turbo, and ran a silicon pipe to the gauge. Got mechanical gauge as it is accurate and also easy on pocket :-D
    Its been more then two months now and everything is fine.

20141005_163056_HDR.jpg
    punto11 likes this.
  9. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    nice job sunswape. Did you do it yourself?
  10. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Kind of, got hole drilled from an expert, asked which plumbing pipes take turbo boost from a known guy in one of the FASS, rest took help of an electrician. Had to told them each thing thou, that was pain.