1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Finally an introduction for my Italian beauty (Linea MJD Emotion PK)

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by Jotinder, May 27, 2012.

1. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

I bought my Linea MJD Emotion Pack in end of Aug 2010 and have been member of TFI from Dec 2010. But I had not given an introduction till now. So here we go, I have own many cars till now including Maruti 800 (1997), Indica Turbo DLG (2006), Indigo LX (2007) and then my Linea (2010). I like driving a lot and have driven to Leh-Ladakh from Delhi in my carbureted Maruti 800 in 2006.

Following are the Modification done on my Linea, which will be discussed below in details
    • RaceChip Tuning Box
    • BMC Performance Intake
    • Custom Bi-Xenon FX-R Projector Headlights with Dual Angel eye.
    • Fiat Original Leather Seat Cover

So here goes the story, I wanted to buy Linea from the day it was launched, but I had 2 cars in my garage at that time and I had bought Indigo LX recently. I had also spent around 1.5 Lakh+ in accessories for my Indigo with accessories like JVC Video LCD DVD Headunit, Roof mounted LCD, Blaupunkt/JBL 6 Speaker setup, Leather Interiors, 5 Piece Diamond Cut Prestige Alloys, Michelin Tires etc. So didn’t have the money to spend as well as requirement for a new car.

But Linea was always in my head and heart especially in Flaminco Red colour. In 2010, I decided to buy another car as I was bored with Indigo. So called up my friend in Ambala, who owns 5 Showroom and service station for TATA and Fiat in Haryana and told him of my plan. His only advice was to buy the top most model and let him know the colour I wanted.

On Sat 14th Aug 2010, I finally took the decision, called and told him I wanted Linea MJD Emotion PK in Flaminco Red. On the same day he called me back and said the car has been dispatched today itself from the factory.

On 19th Aug 2010 he told me he has received the car. Now there was a problem as my loan has not been approved by then. As I was working in Delhi and was trying to get a loan against my Salary account. Bank was having some problem in clearing the loan from Delhi for a car being bought from Ambala. Bank kept on stalling, by saying they will get the approval within 2-3 days.

On 26th Aug I was totally pissed off with my bank and told them I don’t need any loan from them. I called my friend again and told him about the situation about the loan. He asked me to come to Ambala on the next day itself and he will arrange everything for me.

On Friday 27th Aug 2010 I drove down to Ambala and my friend has aligned his Ambala Fiat Sales Manager with me, who had arranged everything for me from SBI bank. I just had to go with him, sign the loan paper which were already filled and give my Photo. By evening I had the check in my hand and people say it’s difficult to get loan from Govt. banks. I told my friend that I will like the delivery on next day, 28th Sat 2010.

On 28th Sat 2010 I was proud owner of Fiat Linea MJD Emotion PK. I had got Original Fiat Leather Seat covered fitted and my friend has got my car Teflon Coated for free before giving me the delivery. Left my other car for service and I drove in my new car to Chandigarh same day and to delhi on Sunday. I took leave from office and drove out to Dalhousie, Dharamshala and Amritsar by Tuesday. On Saturday I was back in Ambala to get my first Service in one week time.

Now for the ownership part. I thank myself each and everyday I drive that I took the decision to buy Linea. I have driven 190+ km/hr with stock engine and 200+ km/hr with tuned engine. It’s one of the most stable car to drive at high speed in India. I usually cruise on highway at the speed of 140km/hr and has driven the car around 34,000+ km till date. I have got my car serviced at my friend’s Fiat workshop only in ambala which is 200+ km from Delhi and till now I had no complaints with the TASS.

Now come the important part, modification done to the car.
    • I was always wanted more power and Torque from the engine so after much deliberation and research I took the plunge and bought RaceChip in Germany as it costed me only 129 Euro and free delivery in Germany. Got this installed from Phil Matthai of SpeedSports at his workshop in Delhi as I wanted the best to work on my car which was at 28,000km at that time. Phil is one of the most professional guy I meet till now, he was not ready to charge me for the install but he took nominal money after I insisted. Phil also gave me advice on how to maintain the engine after the install and he also answered all my queries even if they were stupid. He also advised me to either get Performance Intake from BMC (stock replacement) or change my air filter every 7500 km. As far as the performance increase is concerned, it was phenomenal. My car was behaving like TJet with very less turbo lag. In gear top speeds (as shown on Speedo meter) that I could touch easily were
      • 1th gear : 40km/hr
      • 2th gear : 80km/hr
      • 3th gear : 130km/hr
      • 4th gear : 160km/hr
      • 5th gear : 200+ km/hr (ran out off road to go higher)
    I had to reduce the performance on RaceChip as the pickup was too much and I was having problem in driving in Bumper to Bumper traffic in Delhi-NCR.

• Next step was to get Performance intake. So ordered BMC performance intake (Stock replacement) from Arush of Autopsyche, Gurgaon as I was visiting my Gurgaon office for few weeks. It was delivered in a week’s time and installed at Autopsyche. Damage to pocket Rs.5450. Performance increase was good. Engine was breathing very easy which could be easily made out after the install.
    • Now as the engine was tuned, next step was to go for other upgrade. It is very difficult to change Linea looks, as it is already very good looking and you cannot fiddle with it. So decided to upgrade the headlights, as I drive a lot on highway. I was already very happy with headlights performance but still wanted to upgrade it. So meet with friend of a friend who does custom headlights and is the best out there. He recommended Morimoto’s Bi-xenon Projector’s with 4300k and 4300k HID in high beam also. My only condition for him was no wiring will be cut. So took the car to him in the morning and it took him full day to open and fit the projector. High beam was really bright, but I was not satisfied with low beam. Also I wanted a dual red angel eye on both pods. So had a word with the customizer, he asked me to meet him again and he will fix a bigger and better Projector from FX-R. He will also install red angel eyes on both pods. As FX-R Projector is really big, hence he had to cut the reflector from back and also from sides to fix it. But he did really good job and nobody can make out if they have been cut from sides. Really happy with the finished product which was done without cutting any original wires of the car.
    Final specification of the headlights
    • FX-R Projectors with D2S 4300k bulbs
    • H1 HID 4300k in High beam
    • Red angel eyes on both pods and the angel eye connected in such a way that they also work as DRL in day and get switched off automatically when car is switched off.
    This has been the journey of my car till now. Next big upgrade will be with ICE. Saving $$$$ for the same and researching on it.

Pictures below
    28082010442.jpg 28082010443.jpg 28082010444.jpg 28102011024.jpg 28102011025.jpg
    25032012109.jpg

Custom Bi-Xenon FX-R Projector Headlights with Dual angel eyes
    1.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12a.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

BMC Performance Air Filter
    22052012212.jpg 22052012213.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    joyinder why were you hiding your car from us. looks awesome in those angel eyes.
  3. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Was not hiding :rolleyes:. Thanks for the complement.
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Any mean to achieve a better airflow after race chip is not a bad idea. I thought you must have done something to air intake manifold. For me, race chip is complete waste of money until objective is crossing 200 km/hr:mrgreen:. glad to see that You are indeed using it!! Any thing less is pretty achievable in stock form only. People hardly realize it, why?

Because, Those who doesn't try it in stock, would no way try with a chipped one too:lol.
    So why did they chip it, only god knows!
    In stock form too, the acceleration is more than sufficient to keep up with any car on road.
    I would suggest you not to always run on the chip, instead at the times when you really want to have fun or disappear to a D seg. car leaving him like;). You are fortunate one to have that BH-3 MJD.

What a machine it was, insane Cruiser!!
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    I have a BS-IV Linea not BS-III.

Well according to me how your machine give you output depends on the initial run-in period. For me initial 1000km is not about keeping it below 2500rpm as most say. It is more to do with how smooth your driving is. I drove my new Linea at 120km/hr constant on highway for initial 1000km, no sudden pickups. I avoided city traffic, drove my other cars in initial phase in Delhi. Took long drive as soon as i got the car to Dalhousie, Dharamshala and Amritsar and completed my 1st service in a week time, all of it driven on highway at speeds around or above 120km/hr. I have done this with all my cars and no problems till now.

So my advice to everybody is to take your new car as soon as possible on a long drive, try to keep a constant speed, don’t try to reach top speeds of the car, no sudden/racer pickup in initial 500km. If you follow this, it will open up the engine very nicely and you will get better output from the engine after that.

Enki as far as you’re other queries.
    I also had talk with Phil on an AIR solution for the car. His advice was simple, you don’t need it for a regular car usage. BMC stock replacement will be enough for now. I can vouch for this, that you will not find a better professional for advice than Phil regarding any Engine Modifications.

As far as the RaceChip is concerned, the improvement is phenomenal. For people who don’t drive fast, it all about drivability and very less Turbo Lag. With my tuned engine, I have to rarely use 2nd gear in city traffic. I usually drive in 3rd or 4th gear.
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Pls also post on corresponding RPMs readings whenever you do high speeds.
    I am interested more into at what RPMs are these speeds being achieved when chipped.
    It would also give a pretty good idea, how quickly & what speed MJD's are capable of after being chipped. Last time i checked, though it revvs up to 5200 in 1-2-3-4 in stock, 5th is limited around 4800-4900.

It does 180@4400 RPM, so we are talking around 190 top speed in stock form.
  7. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Your right about the stock top speed, i have touched nearly 195 km/hr max in stock. I have not taken notice of the RPM, i will post the rpm next time. But for that i will have to up the Racechip again as i have reduced the performance by one notch in both switch.

Also touching 200km/hr is very difficult. i touch it usually on highway and usually in late night. The first time i touched it, it was when i was coming back from Pathankot to Chandigarh at 3am and i was having fun with an Audi A6.
  8. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    at 190 kmph as per the speedo, the engine fuel pump is programmed to cut off fuel supply. i know this coz back in bangalore, i service my linea in KHT motors and one day i asked the SA Mr.velu to touch the top speed when the car was on the hydraulic jack. it hardly took any strain in touching 190 kmph but after that the speedo needle didnt cross the 190 mark but although the rpm meter needle was continuously trying to go above the 4600~4800 mark(i'm not quite sure, its a long time back). the needle was not fixed, it kept on trying to go further.

but with ur chip i'm sure it would have crossed with ease......

you have the linea just the way it has to be man i must tell you...... loved the projectors set up.....
  9. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks Buddy. Did lot of research and planning for Projector setup. Also my Customizer was the best in the market, so he already knew how to bypass errors on mid and set it up without cutting wires. He has done the same in high end cars like BMW, Merc, Hummer H1 etc, so had the experience. His work is really amazing and very professional.

Its Rev Limiter so based on rpm of the engine not speed.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  10. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Nice set of mods there on your linea.
    Next time you are around to service your car,give me a shout,would love to have a look.