1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Final call - i20crdi versus GP90 ??

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by retropoppers, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. retropoppers

retropoppers

Dear All,

I have finally decided to book my premium hatch, but i my mind has still not been able to seal the deal as per which can to buy :-/
    And the persistent confusion is between GP90 & i20crdi !!

I would want to take one final advice from all the TFIans before i take the final plunge :)

So thanks in advance to share your comments at the earliest, regading which is a better diesel hatch amongst the two and why ? :)

Cheers :)

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Just read this thread by Rajesh Karunanithi - Spares not available for Punto.
    Too many people are complaining about this same spare part issue.. why does a company like FIAT not able to manage spare supply chain & why does Fiat/Tata dealers do not store sufficient spare inventory.
    I guess this definitely goes again Punto :-/
  2. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    m using my punto since sep 09, der is not a single day that my car is unusable becoz of spare part unavailability, even if they take a week time to re-pare or service the vehicle, m happy coz i used and enjoyed it for almost yr xcept that week, choice is urs which ride comfy for u and quality of a.s.s. of that company in ur area Enjoy ur stay here
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Go for GP90 with your eyes closed. Spares wouldn't be a problem at all. Even if it is not available at the TASS, it can always be sourced from the outside (worst case scenario). I am sure that with the current discounts, you can easy save 1L over i20.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am replying in the what car section after so long.

As far as "better diesel hatch is concerned", I believe Punto MJD is better htch than i20 CRDi.

Reason:
    1. Lower turbo lag and better in gear acceleration, better suited for city drives. i20 is tuned for outright acceleration and has more turbo lag.
    2. More features than i20. Some features present in Punto are found in high end luxury cars like Audi etc.
    3. Body is built solid and any day considered better than Hyundai or even VW. Cabin quality of i20 is far supeior though and typical of Hhyundai, i.e. excellent.
    4. i20 has harder seats and narrower back rests. Feel good to sit on them for TD but for long drive, such firm seats are not a pro.
    5. Mileage of Punto MJD is higher than i20 in city as well as highway. In Punto, you can even get upto 25-28kmpl over long distance journeys, provided you are diving constantly at 70-80kmph.
    6. MultiJet engine. No need to say anything on this. MJD engine is known as the national engine of India. It is being used in 11 cars in India right now- Swift, Ritz, Dzire, SX4, Punto, Linea, Vista, Manza, Palio Stile, Premiere Rio, 500.
    7. Punto 90HP is cheaper as compared to i20 CRDi Asta.
    8. RIDE QUALITY- Punto's ride quality is miles ahead of i20. Steering offers excellent feedback at high speeds and handling is class leading. How did I forget about this earlier.

After Sales Service- Yes, Hyundai has second best A.S.S. in country. This is because they have a very wide network, you can find hyundai S.C. anywhere, and the number of Hyundai cars on road ensures better parts stock available. This does not men that you will get your work done quickly. Hyundai A.S.S. is crowded, it takes days before you get appointment. And Hyundai service is costly as per owners' review.

FIAT service network is not as wide as Hyundai, they rely on TATA till 2012 end, third party spares are not common and some TATA service centers are pathetic. You should know those and avoid those.

But, FIAT cars have longest service interval of 15000Km/1 year. Normal spares are in stock. Its the non moving spares that are ordered and then arranged for you. Service is cheaper than competition. With FIAT, your A.S.S. experience depends a little bit on luck as well.

Cities like Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai have some very good service centers, especially in Bangalore where Concorde is one of the best S.C. as per reviews.

If you are unsure about A.S.S. and don't want to take any chances, go for i20 CRDi.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    5 people like this.
  5. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    i own MJD 1.3 from OCt10
    i gotta say my each n every ride was a joy with this baby... i too was in same dillema when i had to buy the car i20 or punto. atpreasent i20 have better interiors but punto has better ride quality and handling, which i wanted for my ride, i could sacrifice with the interiors ..
    i never had any spare issues here in my locality, everything was available in Advance or when placed order came within 1-2 weeks, which i think is a fare time..
    you may need to talk to your local GP owners and ask about spares trouble, if you so concerned about it...
    if i had a chance to buy my car again and choose between i20 or GP ..
    i would have choose GP again anyday, but higher model this time :D
    gud luck for your purchase :)
  6. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    As far as "which is overall a better car?", it has to be GP.

+ for GP - Strong built, Superb suspension, Amazing handling, Atleast 1 lac cheaper than i20, No waiting period, Gorgeous looks
    - for GP - Fear of ASS (I believe it's more of fear than actual experience), Average interiors

+ for i20 - Great interiors, A bit better ASS than Fiat (yes, it's just a bit better, they will smile and welcome you better)
    - for i20 - Average built, Average/Poor handling, Average ride (infact bad suspension), Pathetic steering response, Costlier than Punto, Long waiting period, Pathetic dealer attitude

It's not difficult to choose. It's just a matter of perception. One of friend has i10. He initially loved Hyundai ASS, but after 2 years he just hate them. It's matter of "They dont care anymore" since they get volumes. Similarly, one of my close friend has Swift and he had some of the worst time recently.

If you want everybody praises great interiors and brand name, go for i20. If you want to enjoy your car, go for GP.
    2 people like this.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Asking to compare a Fiat & Hyundai in a Fiat enthusiast forum you will only get positive response about Fiat ;) . Well just imagine why we are so enthusiast about Fiat cars ? It could just not be the brand name alone obviously . I started my drive with a Fiat UNO, had a wagon r in between & now I owe a punto.My next upgrade would surely be a Fiat. Sorry for going a bit off topic here.My major aspects are safety, handling, comfort & a decent fuel economy which I am 100 % satisfied with my punto. I had even taken i20 for long drive after owing punto. But I never got the feel in i20 that the car would stay in your hands. The electronic steering would feel butter smooth, but responsiveness of steering is pretty worse when compared to punto. Overall ride quality experience was bad when compared to punto. Yes it does pull fast when the turbo kicks in , but again in gear acceleration is better in punto. The interior fit & finish is better in i20. But the power window switch's quality & power window working, I liked it better in Punto . Why would one pay around 1 lakh extra just for the sake of better interior quality or just for an engine which pulls little faster (0-100) where as you get a cheaper option with more features, technologically advanced engine, better economy & the best in class ride & handling. Feel it for yourself & then decide.
    3 people like this.
  8. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Except for gear shift and interiors (Punto comes with complete carpeting even in boot) Punto scores high compared to I20.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Toruk Macto has put it very right.

If you want the car which has the "approval" of others , and which will certainly be hailed as a good choice by most people, and if you give more weight to this aspect, then go for the i20.

If you want to enjoy the better car, just get the Mighty 90. No comparisons.

Cheers.
    3 people like this.
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    If you go for the i20 then get ready for some great steering rattling sound and poor AC cooling issue and i20 has a really weak suspension(stiff) can feel every pothole.Hyundai is really turning a deaf ear to it.Im not backing or advertising FIAT here.GP90 is really a great car when it comes to ride quality,built and handling.Service given by FIAT is really nothing great to talk about in rural areas but in cities its definately the best.

Make a wise choice!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.