1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

fiberglassing punto doors

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by greatmana2000, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Heard not more than 2000 rupees including everything!
    1 person likes this.
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    That's real cheaper than the damping sheets. :wow
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I have a lot of fibre glass with me - both the chopped mat and the woven mat varieties, from previous experiments. Need to source some more resin and do something useful. @greatmana2000 - to build speaker pods in my Palio (now sold), I used a MDF skeleton, wrapped with fabric, applied one coat of resin mix and two coats of FG. Then sanded, smoothened, applied metal paste, smoothened to a glass finish and painted gloss black.

Sadly, I have no pictures, excepting one I posted on TBHP - in a different thread.

924925d1336459386-diy-dashboard-mount-bottle-holder-additional-power-socket-driver-seat-view.jpg

It is a lot of hard and messy work. FB hardens like stone and is a real challenge to sand and smooth. But the finished product is worth the effort. Thanks for sharing and rekindling the desire to get messy again :D

I guess for this application - since strength and finish are not critical, woven mat will be far less messier to use. Will try and post pictures of both varieties when I get home.

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. Without hard work nothing grows but weeds [Not the western "weed" though]. I have used Tetra pads [2500 rs + 500 rs labor] and another set of sound deadening [another 2000 rs to water], they never stopped the rattling. Infact i did not even notice a difference with them. Today Yug was here and i could listen to the music, full volume and not even a slight rattling from the panels.. Must say that he is a great expert in audio and the way he has done some stuffs is just amazing..

Yug, hats off to you for sharing some of the knowledge to me!
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Agreed unconditionally.

I have seen a lot of people embark on some DIY project like this, without understanding all the sweat,blood and cursing involved :D. Then to make matters worse, they tend to come and blame the guy who posted, for making it look easy :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. Your signature says a lot :-D
    1 person likes this.
  7. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

chennai
    sorry , was traveling and was not able to reply to posts . Fiberglass is cheap ..In fact you spend only around 1500 for all the 4 doors . The biggest difference btwn damping sheets and fiberglass is that the metal and the plastic panels become stiffer and stronger .
    @patchboy .. awesome work done with your palio . But you do not have to go through metal paste and sanding for this . you just need to stiffen the doors that is all . Apply and leave the fiber glass without any need for finishing .

When i started my ICEing , my goals were simple .. wanted a stock look .. did not want add on pods etc . Wanted to use under seat amps since i also needed the boot .My bad Fiat launched the classic linea after I bought my punto . Yes , I am a fan of cheaper variants because they allow me to change what i want , tweak what I want to instead of being stuck with mediocre stuff like OEM tyres , ICE etc .

The ICE was done in stages , my biggest search was for good sounding components /neutral and voice clarity and for amps which carried a relatively small foot print . I do not use any exotic wiring for my ICE . What i am trying to arrive at is careful planning is very much required to get the best bang for the buck and always remember the car is not the place where you can get 100 percent music the way it was recorded . There is always a compromise with everything and so is this .
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.