1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

fiberglassing punto doors

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by greatmana2000, Oct 31, 2013.

1. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

2. PuntoSingh

PuntoSingh Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Can you post pictures again. Not able to open it
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

The pics dont open, pls preview the thread before posting.

A write up would help understand the essence of the thread.
  4. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

oopss .. sorry . My net got disconnected immediately after uploading the pics .. Okies for the write up now with the pics
    WP_20131020_001.jpg WP_20131020_002.jpg WP_20131020_003.jpg WP_20131020_004.jpg WP_20131020_005.jpg WP_20131020_006.jpg WP_20131020_007.jpg WP_20131020_008.jpg WP_20131020_009.jpg WP_20131020_010.jpg WP_20131020_011.jpg WP_20131020_012.jpg
    2 people like this.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

What are the benefits/purpose? Do they serve the same purpose as dampening sheets?
    1 person likes this.
  6. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

OK , the quest for fiberglassing started off when i replacexd my stock speakers with DLS components . The components sounded good , at low volumes . The components were connected to amps and at high volumes there was vibration from the door and the door pads .

I looked up at the option of using damping sheets , but i was not able to digest the costing for doing damping sheets , so thought of fiberglass as an option . Spending 10k for damping mats was not an option compared to 2k for the cost of materials that involved materials . Ofcourse , labour time was not taken into account as I worked on the weekends .

For anyone who wants to start off with fiberglass , words of caution
    1. work with all the doors open
    2. The fiberglass fumes are too bad , so please make sure you have a mask before you start work . wear protective eyewear as well . When the resin is applied with brush there is every chance that the resin might get in touch with the eyes .

Start off with cutting the fiberglass mat to the required size . The fiberglass mat is not really a mat but the fibers are just pressed together , so use a scissors to cut the mat to the desired sizes first . You will need to do atleast 2 layers ,so it helps to cut double the fiberglass mats required ..
    place the cut mats on the inner door pads like in the pics ,before you begin , try to place some newspaper sheets under the door pads to avoid scratches .
    Take 100 ml of resin and mix it with just 1 drop or 2 drops of catalyst . One drop of catalyst takes a bit of time to harden up , 2 drops will harden up the resin in a matter of minutes . So , as soon as you add the catalyst and mix it with resin , you will have only 4-5 mins to apply . So have everything ready before you start . Gloves is a must .
    Get a 2 inch or a 2.5 inch brush and start applying the fiberglass vigorously on the mat , making sure that the mat get properly soaked in the resin after applying .

After finishing with door pads , start off with the doors .

Before you start peel of the plastic sheet on the door . Cutting off the sheet might be required at some places . Give a gentle tug to the sheet and it will start peeling . After peeling , now start masking the bottom of the doors with masking tape . The reason is the excess fiberglass resin will start dripping . There is a black rubber compound used to fix the plastic sheet to the door . When the resin is applied the resin mixes with the black compound and it may leave nasty black spots on the paint . Mask the electrical connections , rear view mirror handles , etc .
    Inside the door cavity you will notice a bar wich is the side impact bar . You need to fiberglass only below the bar . Need not apply the fiberglass above the bar . The bar is there near the power window motor if you notice in the pics .

After applying the first coat , let it dry before you start off with the 2nd one . Minimum is 2 max is 3 for the doors .Once done , trim the excess mat with a nice pencil knife .

P.s . This is the first time i liked a phone camera pic compared to my dslr . The lumia does take really good pics . While working .. on things like these the dslr is too bulky to work with .
    - - - Merged Post - - -

much better than the damping sheets . The door is now rock solid .. no vibrations . Music is as it should be .
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    6 people like this.
  7. Neat work Yug, How is it different from damping sheets apart from price factor?
  8. greatmana2000

greatmana2000 Novizio

Now , you know the answer .. lol
  9. Wow, it was awesome, great diy.. will be trying this out this weekend if i get the fibreglass
  10. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    What is the cost of installing fiberglass?