1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIATian's Who desire to Drive Himalayas / Ladakh

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Pankaj Dubey, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Giridhar

Giridhar Amatore

Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @HarshaEvo . Got a company right from the start. :). Hope to we can make it together. Lets see how it works out.
    HarshaEvo likes this.
  2. HarshaEvo

HarshaEvo Timido

Punto Evo 1.2
    Yep :) maybe we can go in one of our cars..
  3. ndeosthalee

ndeosthalee Timido

Linea 1.3
    Road is worst from Sonmarg to Kargil. Other roads are ok. We have been there before 5 years. Upgread suspention is necessary. You can see it on fiat sight.

Sent from my vivo Y27L using Tapatalk
  4. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    I am planning to drive from Chennai to Leh, starting from 3rd September and will be back on 17th September. Since I am driving alone, I don't want to try too many places and restrict myself to visit Leh and Pangong Tso lake and back. Still trying to fit in a trip to Khardung La, but not sure about it. Below is the tentative plan (I already blocked my holiday between 5th September to 20th September). Took two years to convince my wife for this trip.

Need experts guidance to achieve my dream trip. Is it possible to get the permit in Manali in a day? Anyone planning to travel during this period. My car already clocked 84K and will do the 90K service by mid of August and drive for a week before starting the long trip.
    Turbothinghy, Ravi and PradeepM like this.
  5. KPR

KPR Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Still Khardung La is easily do-able at Leh and can be considered as local sight seeing day at Leh.

Why are you going via manali and returning via manali? My advice would be go via Delhi-Ambala- Jalandhar-Jammu-Patnitop-Srinagar-Zozilla pass- kargil- Lamayuru-Leh. And return journey Leh-Sarchu-zingzing bar- Keylong-Rohtang-Manali. Make a circuit which is done by most people who travel by car.
    Benefits of this route:
    1. Better altitude acclimitization.
    2. The roads are better from srinagar side till Leh and are average in the return leg from Leh-Manali via Sarchu-Rohtang. Rohtang is a mess.
    3. No permits required.
    4. Better stay options via Srinagar route.

For point no. 2: Kindly go through various internet sources to know on Srinagar-Unrest. Also our TFI-ans from Srinagar/Jammu can help you
    For point no. 3: Last year when we did there was no permit required if you descend to Manali from Sarchu side. There is no point in wasting a day at Manali for getting permit and local sightseeing.

There is a HVK-Ladakh 951 pack available online where many experts can guide you in making trip plans and stay options en route. These are also helpful.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Iyu and PradeepM like this.
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Hi I did Delhi -Srinagar-Jammu-Leh-Sarchu-Manali-Delhi by Zoomcar in the first week of July. From Leh, we took bikes to Pangong and Khardung La.
    I saw many cars from M800 to Audi and Benz doing it. Non SUVs did struggle, but made it. It's definitely doable in car. We reached a destination and then found our stay.
    Pangong is awesome and should not be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Thanks @KPR for your points. I was planning the Manali route to avoid the unrest in Srinagar and I will be driving alone and don't want to take any chance. Let me check HVK Ladakh package.
    KPR likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Squeeze a bit more. In the first leg, you can drive Chennai to Nagpur. 1120 km. Can be done within 20 hours. Adilabad is a district headquarters of Telangana, but lacks facilities. Nagpur has better options for stay and food. After Nagpur, you can drive via the beautiful and scenic 2-lane NH via Chhindwara to Narsingpur for the onward journey towards Agra. The next halt could be at either Delhi or Chandigarh. You can save a coupla days. After 15 Aug, the situation in Kashmir may be back to normal. If it is normal, you can go via Srinagar and come down via Manali. You can save a day at Manali for arranging permits as you don't require permit for coming down from Leh. Please check your inbox. I have sent a detailed PM.
    KPR, limraj and PradeepM like this.
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Where: Hyderabad to Leh
    When: 27th August to 11th September (1-3 days extension if required)
    How many: 8
    TFIans: 5
    1. Kiran
    2. Vignesh
    3. Haresh
    4. Sreekanth
    5. Shiva
    Iyu, PradeepM, dhaya76 and 2 others like this.
  10. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    Wow, thats nice to see 5 TFIans are going, love to join the group however I will not be able to join since my leave starts only from 5th September 2016.

@NKiran, Can you guys let me know the travel plan.

@J Ravi, My first thought was to reach Nagpur, but I dropped it since I have never done 20 hrs drive (previous best was 14 hrs, covering 960 kms, chennai to Kolhapur) and driving alone and don't want to push too much. I yet to read the PM, will get in touch with you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2016
    J Ravi likes this.