1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to upgrade ground clearance for older versions of Linea and Punto

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by abhinav, Jan 16, 2012.

1. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Speed jet are you facing any issue ?, Its 170 mm
  2. floydhead

floydhead

Noida
    Well...i have done almost 70,000 kms on my Linea Emotion 1.4 Pk till date...and i truly agree with you Mr. Alavandar....as far as my driving is concerned, i'm bit of a fast driver (but surely not rash) - i've tested the car at about 160-165 kmph frequently, and i have to say that the handling and control is superb even at very high speeds...it's handling at corners and curves is much much better than most cars in this segment..i would say it's a perfectly balanced car and firmly grips the road no matter what the weather is (except on snow :p).
    My experience with the car says that a suspension upgrade will take a bit of toll on the car's handling and control - especially at corners and curves, and maybe even at high speeds of about 160-170 kmph...i don't know about others, but my gut feeling is that it won't b worth going for a suspension upgrade at least for me. i would rather stick to my present suspension...gladly :)

Subhadip Das (Noida, UP)
  3. amitaila

amitaila

Is the Ground Clearance Kit for Linea Petrol and diesel the same or is there some difference in both. One of the Dealers is saying it is different for Petrol and Diesel Versions I need to upgrade the Ground Clearance but sadly it is not available with any dealer in Delhi anyone has an idea if GC kit is available with any dealer please inform me so that I can do the upgrade ASAP.
  4. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes it is different , bcoz by default Petrol linea is 165mm and diesel is 161mm , Accordingly they have designed
  5. amitaila

amitaila

Thanks but the dealers dont seem to know this it appears since all are of different opinions.
  6. R Alavandar

R Alavandar

Chennai
    Well, it clarifies... thanks
    R Alavandar
  7. R Alavandar

R Alavandar

Chennai
    Speed Jet, Can you also share your view?
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Just Y'day, I shared my experience with GC upgrade in my Linea 1.4 FIRE Emotion Pack in my ownership thread. Recapturing some details here if it helps you:

Clearly, GC has increased substantially. In last few days, as always due to monsoons, Mumbai Roads have developed giant-sized potholes. I also went to Lonavala day before. There also, I came across real big potholes. Never my Linea scrapped her bottom !! Earlier I used to be extreme cautious while driving over those potholes and still it would scrape the bottom. But not now. Complete peace of mind !!

On the other hand, Ride & Handling does feel affected. I'm feeling Ride as a bit stiff. While going over potholes, the wheel just bangs and I feel that the cusioning effect is substantially reduced. May be I need to lower the tyre pressure (I use 32 psi in cold tyres in all 4 tyres). Also, I've Bridgestone Potenza GIII tyres which has hard rubber and are known for this. I'm thinking of lowering tyre pressure to 32 psi in front & 30 psi in rear tyres in cold tyre state.

I also feel handling to be a tad below what it used to be earlier.

Initially, I did not want to go for GC upgrade as I did not want to mess with the Best-in-Class Ride/ Handling of Linea. However, the rear shock absorbers got leaked and then I decided to go for GC upgrade as in any case I had to change rear shock absorbers.

But end of the day, I would say, I'm better off with that peace of mind against the fear of bottom scraping the potholes. Thats a huge relief.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yes Amit. What I felt was that the plush ride of the car is missing with the upgrade. Well there has to be a trade off to offset one complaint.

Abdul
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    A quick question after reading VP's & Abdul's post - In case someone needs to replace the suspension due to ageing is GC upgrade the only option or Can we continue using the existing set-up? The reason being I just can't trade-off handling for the GC because I don't frequently encounter these kinds of roads.