1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to upgrade ground clearance for older versions of Linea and Punto

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by abhinav, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Read here http://www.teamfiat.co.in/engine-co...grade-ac-petrol-linea-punto-11.html#post25645

Now whats this elastic pad change?
    I am totally lost on this upgrades and changes, i am unable to keep a track on these :(

Mods: Can you create a separate thread, where the first post contains lists of upgrades that FIAT has offered and its applicability. And update the opening post accordingly, so that we can keep a track of this updates, and also if required one can show the printout to the service center if they dont agree about the same.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune

the point is technically no one is providing any upgrades.

if you think analytically its just as simple as any X Y Z customer going to the workshop and buying new suspensions and installing the same on his car.

fiat is not doing something special to old cars that can be called as upgrade, nor discounting the new parts (which is generally the case in upgrades).

they have just declared that old customers can upgrade.

but boss we are paying the MRP of parts + Rs.1500 labor.

in the same way we will have to consider that we are upgrading air filter, oil filter , engine oil in every service :idea:
    1 person likes this.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The only difference being that previously, no such kits were officially provided by FIAT. Even if we are ready to go for after market kits, TATA SCs were not ready to do it, probably becuase any such modification will lead to violation of warranty terms. Now, FIAT is selling kits to increase the GC (make some easy money ?). Those who want to go for this will have to buy the kit and get it fixed from TATA SCs. That's it !
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  4. Italia-Linea

Pune
    still its not a kit or something. say you have damaged your front 2 suspensions. you go to tass and ask them to fit the new ones. pay MRP+high labor cost and walk away with new suspensions. thats it.

in this case i would say even though i have not damaged my existing suspensions i go to TASS and ask them to change all 4. thats all.

its not a special kit tailor made for old cars to be called as upgrade.

to be frank its more easy for fiat now to do this because the existing vendors who provide struts and springs have to just provide new ones and not manufacture both designs for long time going forward.

down the line in 1 year if your shocks are damaged in warranty , and if fiat does not have old stock they will put in new ones FOC in warranty.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    By the way how do we test for failed shocks, what are technical tests that at TASS? I guess i need to get them changed under Warrant ;) :D
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    hmmm...Let's not give some vicious ideas to those who already decided to pay for the "upgrade".
    1 person likes this.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    jump on your bonnet :) kidding. it can easily be checked.
    1. Check for any sweating/ oil leakages
    2. if internal seals or valves are damaged, remove them, and compress and decompress them by fixing them on a table wench by clamping. if it has become loose and easy to compress decompress they are bad.

LOL, i dint have it on my mind. but thanks for cultivating this idea :)
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

I agree that the kit is not any thing special or tailor made for old Puntos, but what Fiat is doing is collectively calling the changed parts under a name. By doing this, it is easy for any customer to walk in and demand just the upgrade kit, with out bothering to check if he have ordered all the required parts and correct part numbers, if he was going to increase the CG.
    This is more of a convenience measure and I do not see anything wrong in terming this as a 'upgrade kit'. What else will Fiat call it?

I agree that they are selling it on MRP, but then, it is better than not giving the option at all, citing reasons like warranty may void if you upgrade etc. I honestly think we are being harsh on Fiat - if they do not offer the option to fit the new suspension parts, we would have blasted them, and we are still blasting them because they chose to offer it on MRP.

No one is forcing any one to go for the upgrade, so if some one feels it is pricey, he have all the freedom to stay away from it. Compare this with the recent pricing of Dzire - Maruthi is citing some silly 150 new features so that they are not passing all the excise benefit to the customer.

@Italia-Linea: I am not sure how the handling and other characteristics if one plan to upgrade only front shocks - IMHO, if doing, it is worth going for the whole kit. I do not think Fiat will stop stocking the old suspension unit since it may not be desirable to upgrade just one or a pair of shocks to the new one.
    5 people like this.
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    i am not saying one should change only the front 2 shocks. i just gave an example how parts can be changed which are interchangable.

if one wants to change the suspensions he need not bother about collecting all parts. service advisor knows very well what to change. and there are hardly any parts involved. it all comes in assemblies.

why will they come up with reasons that warranty will be void etc when one is buying fiat parts itself? can they say warranty will be void if you install a armrest in your punto? can they say warranty will be void if you buy 4 alloys from them and install them on your 15" rims?

at some point ofcourse they will stop manufacturing 2 types of suspensions. they will ask customers to buy a new complete set by giving many reasons.
    there are many such examples.
    1. the AC filter - now you dont get the old design ones even if you want to.
    2. the old Radiator fan - you now only get the dual stage ones.

and as i said earlier, why MRP? when outside shopkeeper can give 10-15% discounts on same genuine part why not fiat to its esteemed customers?

i know no one is forcing for upgrade, and i dont even intend to upgrade as i am happy with current setup as other many folks are.

and if i want to really upgrade there are many simpler , less costly ways. the very basic thing amongst it is spring stiffening to a value that will not pitch or sag the car to bottom out.
    before anyone says that it will hamper handling- no , it wont as the new kit has stiffened springs too.
  10. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    Most of such examples had some technical problems,so they went for an update to rectify it. Here in the case of old Puntos or lineas there's nothing wrong with suspension, the new 2012 models offers the GC as an additional feature. So I think old suspension will be available.
    and you are complaining that Fiat charges MRP for each part . I dont think thats wrong. you have to consider how other brands charges for those parts of their corresponding models.

when I asked SA about the upgrade , he said not to do till the warranty period is over (He was not informed about fiat company providing the upgrade kit). now I can do upgrade with out any fear :clap