1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to upgrade AC in Petrol Linea and Punto!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Arun1100, Oct 25, 2010.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @sachinls3
    Both the issues you mentioned are non-issues.
    You feel vibration because RPM at idle is low and when you turn AC on the RPM jumps up a little and AC Compressor starts working.

Radiator fan in Fiat cars stay ON as long as AC Compressor in ON.
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Fan runs when the engine is On and the AC is NOT switched ON too.
  3. sachinls3

sachinls3 Amatore

Pune
    Yes, but its intermittent when only engine is running and AC is OFF. But what I observed is that FAN always stays on when the AC is on.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    the modified fan has 2 speed settings. when the AC is on and with normal temp conditions it works on speed 1. if lower temp is demanded and surrounding temp is high it works at fan speed 2 which is very high and becomes noisy.

Fan stays on. only the AC compressor cuts off once the attained temp is reached. a rise in temp again starts the compressor. this goes on and on during the AC operating cycle.
  5. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Thisa ac problem has cropped into my LINEA MJD too!! It's only a month old:(
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I think its a normal routine work done by the Fan, the Fan will start automatically when the temp. of engine rises and once the temp. comes down the fan is off, Same thing with compressor when the compressor is one the fan has to start, and viceversa, Its the same in my Corolla also in Kuwait.
  7. Italia-Linea

Pune
    to be frank i am not satisfied with the AC of my MJD too. Fiat is quiet about diesel and only upgrading petrols.

but in the hot summer the AC isnt cooling effectively. Even my mightly 6 year old alto cools way better than my new linea.

i will say that AC in linea is not even 30% of my alto.
  8. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Just Asking Italia - linea, donno wheater you follow the same way, if no then try this might be it will improve the cooling.
    1. Switch on the fan to 1 position for 2 minutes with the aircirculation from outside mode,
    2. Then make the fan to 2 position for 1 minute and switch the aircirculation mode to cabin mode.
    3. Switch on the compressor and reduce the fan speed to 1 if its cool enough.
    4. Switch the fan to 2 position for some time again and then off the compressor.
    Repeat step 3 - 4 .
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    thanks Tony, but idealy when i start from cold conditions from my covered parking i keep it on recirculation mode. outside mode feeds in lot of dust on the blower and coil. so its better avoided.

compressor is on and whatever fan speed and the lowest temp setting the linea doesnt cool as quickly and efficiently as my other cars do.

Point 4- i dont understand why to switch off the compressor. it will stop the cooling.

Conclusion: cooling is good in climates apart from summer :) in hot sun with outside temperatures hovering around 38degress Celsius the AC on linea fails to deliver 100%.

i checked this in friends punto too. same case. i made him sit in my alto then. he was impressed :)

so i think we will have to leave with it, hoping that temps will be like italy or till fiat learns tuning their AC according to indian climate :)
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Amit,

I can see where you are coming from. I observed this very closely & my view is it takes longer time comparatively to cool when my Linea is parked out under the hot sun (when I take out my Linea in noon/ afternoon after its parked in open). When I take her out in the evening from the same open parking, the cabin cools immediately. Even in the afternoon if the car was parked under shadow/ covered parking, the cabin does not take long to cool. It could be the glass house effect or related to body metal which stores & dissipate more heat when hot.

PS: My Linea does not have any sun film. Its pure stock glass.