1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to upgrade AC in Petrol Linea and Punto!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Arun1100, Oct 25, 2010.

1. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The service advisor and the technician says there is nothing to worry. When they upgraded the AC, the had emptied the coolant. Post upgrade, it was just displacing the air in the pipes. Hence the fast draining of coolant. Filled up again. All is well.
  2. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    Hello Friends,

I got the AC Kit fitted last week. I too wanted to give it sometime before posting my impressions here.

1. Concorde (Dairy Circle) took 2 full days for just the Kit fitting (after taking an appointment a week in advance). I had some issue with the noise from rear suspension and that took another Full day . Not to mention, the car came back dirtier then it went to them :A . Don't think I'll go back to Concorde Dairy Circle again.

2. The change in the air-con is a Welcome one though. I mean it cools faster than before and the chill from the vents at any level is more then before. I can vouch for this, because I own a Emotion which doesn't have the climate control. Hence I have the vents facing my face and upper-body. The blast from the vents is much cooler than it was earlier. Yesterday was a warm afternoon (MID showed temp ~30degrees) and I had to park the car under the sun for about an hour. Before the upgrade I had to let the hot air went out through open windows for a few minutes with the AC On to get effective cooling. But this time to check the upgraded HVAC, I kept windows Up and used the AC on its coolest level with fan speed on level-3. I could feel the chill in about 8-10mins and then lowered the fan speed. I guess this explains the change in the effectiveness pretty well.

3. The revised HVAC does take a lesser toll on the engine. Earlier I did feel the need to revv the engine harder with the AC On. But now this feel has reduced atleast 20-30%, not big change but very helpfull when overtaking stupid Rickshaw fellows in Bangalore traffic chaos. And even in steady speed in Higher gears, when the AC was switched On there was a "Engine-Breaking" (came from losing some power due to AC load) sort of feel earlier. This has reduced to a "not-so-annoying" extent.

Haven't checked the mileage yet (My MID was all reset to some weird defaults by the service center with no effort of putting it back in shape) will report after a Full-Empty-Full cycle soon.

All in all, I'd definitely advise all Fiat Petrol owners to get it done.
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    The quality of service at Concorde motors depends on the service advisor who attends you. I know this from my last two years experience in interacting with them. Initially I was very disappointed and even tried visiting KHT motors. Was not very imopressed with their service quality, so moved back to Concorde again. In the last couple of visits, I was lucky enough to get a service advisor who is more customer focussed than the previous ones.

About MID reset, this was done to mine too. I think this happens during the ECU flash and it had reset only the date and time and not the Kms done. Havent checked other details.
  4. so after changing the AC please tell me how was your fan noise ?
    mine is awful. even and SUV fan is silent than this.
  5. punto-er

punto-er Amatore

Bengaluru
    @Fiatlover: You could be correct as far as the adviser is concerned. This time i did not drop or pick my car since its was a Weekday slot, and this could be the reason for the negligence. Anyway, I hope i don't have to go to them before my next scheduled service.

@alistair: Read your PM too. I have not noticed the Fan noise since I rarely drive with the windows down. Will check it soon and tell you about it. Have you noticed any pattern for this behavior at all that you'd want me to replicate? I mean is this noise issue present when the car is "Cold" or when car has "Warmed-up" (in reference to the temp gauge) or happens always? I'll probably check this only over the weekend since i don't drive to work these days, but do tell u know the symptoms around the problem also.
  6. AnilGowda

AnilGowda

Dont have much time to post complete details, so just posting details briefly.

Even my Punto's coolent level dropped to zero in just half a day, it happened the day I got the vehilce after 2nd service.
    Got Engine over heat alarm, then called up customer care , my car was towed to concorde motors (Mysore Road, Bangalore) then they fixed the issue giving some crap reason. (they added some silver coloured clamp to one of the pipes which fixed the problem)
    This happened 2 days back, need to check more on this.

This is not it, there is more problem with new Upgraded AC, its making hell lot of noice, its impossible to drive with such noice, either I have to switch off the AC and drive or I should not drive at all.

Taking my vehicle to Concorde Motors again tomorrow, need to see what crap reason they will give again.

Anil
  7. AnilGowda

AnilGowda

typo error>> noise*

It's close to one year since I bought this red beauty, but I am really not happy with concorde motors , I have had couple of bad experiences with concorde motors in the past as well... I hope FIAT moves out of TATA and opens up their own service stations..

Forgot to mention, I had raised a complaint against Concorde with FIAT egarding above mentioned 2 issues, just one is resolved..
    AC Fan noise issue is still pending , lets see what they'll do to my red beauty.
  8. SMS from Tata Motors

I searched the forum and couldn't find any relevant thread. I got a sms from Tata Motors on 23rd Feb with the content 'Dear Customer, Fiat has initiated an AC improvement process for your car MHXXACXXX. Request you to contact your nearest ......"

Anyone else who got the sms? Yet to contact the dealer.
  9. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Re: SMS from Tata Motors

This upgrade is happening for all petrol Linea and puntos since december, 2010. Get it done.

Mods - merge this with the ac upgrade thread.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
  10. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Edited: 27th Feb
    AC Seems Ok for now
    -----------------------------

Today i got the AC Kit replaced under warranty, the AC Cooling has worsened !! :A

i drove back at 7pm and outside temperature was 20 degrees as per MID and inside i had set it to 17 degrees, still the cooling wasnt sufficient, i even kept the AC in high air flow,
    Somewhere I had read that at the vent, it should be 4 degrees and feeling the air flow at the vent it as like 7-10 degrees, which is not sufficient to cool the car during harsh Jaipur Summers.

TASS has asked me to leave the car on Monday to check the cooling and also they would replace the clutch sleeve cylinder fingers crossed !!

Somehow i had this feeling that it would be a challenge to get this AC upgrade in one go !!

As there was a power failure, the TASS didnt give me any bill or document on AC replacement... what should I do? will TASS give any kind of records to show what was done as part of the warranty?