1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to upgrade AC in Petrol Linea and Punto!!

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Arun1100, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Linea AC Kit Replacement Detailed Report: Explore the unseen

Hi friends,

As already known that FIAT has been upgrading the AC Kit for petrol cars, my car went through the same but not without exposing a lot of things . – Exploration of Unseen – Detailed Log (Very Long, get the coffee mug :D)

After the 3rd Dec, factory visit and discussion with fiat team on returning I discussed the replacement with TASS service manager, since he was unaware of this, I followed up with Mangesh and team in regard to AC Kit replacement and requested them to send the “Flying Doctor”. It was told to me that Kits where dispatched and “Flying Doctor” will visit the TASS to do AC Kit Replacement as well to solve other niggling problems.
    Finally after sharing a lots of mails the kits reached at dealer’s place on 23rd Dec, the “Flying doctor” called me up and confirmed that kit has reached and so will be he there on 24th, also conveyed that he would be conduction training for others about how to do AC Kit replacement by giving demo on my car. I was ok with it. Appointment was fixed and I reached early morning 9:30 am at service center and so the “Flying Doctor” , but it seems goof up are born to happen at TASS, so it stuck, this time Linea Emotion Pack AC kit is not sent to dealer. Before coming to city, Fiats Flying Doctor confirmed availability from Service Manager who confirmed from the Store Manager and now when they checked the stock they didnt had any kit with "White Marking" that means no kit for Linea Emotion Pack, there are other markings like "Green", "Pink", "Red" etc, which are for Puno and Linea various models.

Poor Fiat Flying Doctor, who scheduled the meet, by calling me on 23rd was feeling very sorry about the situation. Well I said Welcome to customer lounge, we have seen all this N number of times seating in the Customer Lounge. Again big hopes were raised by requesting parts from near by center, which they expect to reach on 25th December.

Flying Doctor was kind enough to extend his stay just to take care of my car, so he was working on 25th Dec. But on 25thdecember neither FIAT nor SANTA baba helped on this, the new kit was sent for Linea Emotion Pack, were properly marked but when they checked the parts inside the kit, they found that it was for Punto Emotion pack and not Linea Emotion Pack .

One more mess is done at factory level. Thankfully, the FLYING doctor was very smart and found this issue. Otherwise the dealers service guys would have installed the kit as its hard to differentiate between Linea and punto kit, only the air intake size has difference.
    With no option to move forward, the day was called, a round of mails where shared with all the concern authorities, “Flying Doctor” flew back with a commitment that he will once again come specifically for me, as soon as new kits are received. Rounds of mails where again shared with parts department and with few phone calls, it was confirmed that they would make a urgent dispatch via bluedart . All I wished was that this should come up good .

Got my next appointment for 5th Jan, the “Flying Doctor” confirmed is availability and said all the task would be done under his super vision. As required I took car to the service center once again, meet the Flying Doctor and other team members at service center, kits where verified and checked, things looked ok and work started soon the bumper was removed other ac related piping were removed, when this things where under the process, I saw something very unusual. The by default radiator in my 1.4 Fire Linea Emotion Pack was marked as 1.2 Active :eek:

Joor ka jhatka jooro se laga, I was driving 1.4 Linea from last 16 months having a radiator of 1.2 Active and was suffering like Turkey in barbaque because company decided to put in 1.2 Active Radiator while building my car. I am not sure if same is used across 1.2 and 1.4 but this came to me as a big surprise. Flying Doctor had no answer. I have seeked an answer from higher authorities to have a better understanding on this, waiting for there mail or phone call.

Moving forward from here the team worked swiftly unmounted the radiator and other parts and replaced with new stock parts from the kit. Once this was completed the coolant was poured back into. Here comes our next surprise, once the coolant was filled up, team found that its leaking from some place, all the connections where checked to find the leak, finally it was found that it’s a leaking radiator, the black plastic part attached to radiator hidden behind the fan had a crack and all the coolant flew down from that crack. Not again, that’s what came out of my mouth, there cannot be consecutive product quality check failures for a given customer, unless it’s a lapse at factory.

By this time it was already 5:30, a quick round of meeting was done with me as there were no more AC Kit for Emotion Pack where available, finally the call was taken that they would use the radiator from another Linea Kit, as there is no difference in radiator, hence it could be used in emotion pack. I was ok with it, since it was confirmed by “Flying Doctor” himself. Once again the replacement work got started and they got the radiator up, filled the coolant, and this time it looked good. Next was filling up gas in AC, I thought finally its done, but it was my mistake, there were many more bunny’s in the magicians hat. Next came the issue of AC Gas Leak, I was mum, nothing to say, the service team was working hard to figure out where the leak is, they worked till 8:30pm and still the source of leak was not found. I requested them to call it a day and take a fresh look next day and finding gas leaks are not that easy. But at this point of time, I would like to appreciate the keenness and hard work that the service team put into no matter, what all difficulties they faced. On top of it they decided to meet again next day 1hour early to get this done before 1pm as “Flying Doctor” was suppose to leave by that time. I went back home with a hope that its just another lose connection and not one more poor product quality and QC check result.

I had full faith in team working on this, so I decided to visit next day after 11, to check how things are progressing. On 6th when I reached there, I was told that they disconnected all the ac pipes and reconnected once again and the leak issue got resolved and they have filled up the gas once again. Finally all the things where fixed back to its place and since it was taking its own time, the “Flying Doctor” canceled his ticket and waited for the day to get the test drive done and to resolve other niggling issues and to test the AC replacement results.
    After all the long ordeal, finally it was done, with my poor bumper getting unpacked almost 5 times, leaving me concerned with breaking of plastic bumper connectors, leading to future issues. We went for a test drive of 6-8kms, at backseat I felt a marginally better not much of improvement though, given that its winter. At 16C I was not chilled in the car, the thermometer test did show 10C temp, but the backseat cooling was not chilling , yes it was ambient. I expected it to chill the bones (my nano does), given its winter season. Probably few more runs will be give a better understanding. I was asked to revisit the service center after 1 week or if I feel ac cooling is low, they will recheck the gas leakage issue. I thanked the service team for dedication and commitment also thanked the Flying Doctor to making it up for my car.

Today early morning I saw the bumper fitting got lose on left side and now has 6cm gap, I have to call up service center once again to fix it. I hope its not because the plastic connectors have gone bad due to opening up of bumper 4-5 times.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Re: Linea AC Kit Replacement Detailed Report: Explore the un

Viny, 10C is not at all good considering the outside temp which is around 20-25 C most of the day and slightly above 5 C at late night and early morning. ( I guess compressor cut off once set temp was achieved which was set as 16C in ACC)
    Try running the ACC in Lo mode, it would stop the Compressor from cutting off and check the temp again.
    You surely had a hard time getting the AC kit.
    For bumper fitting getting loose, ask them to change the plastic connectors. 6cm gap ::OO
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

Sorry its about 6mm and not cm :(
    Plastic connectors cannot be changed, they are part of bumper, entire bumper would be required to change.
    I will try to test it with that Lo setting once again.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

5. arka_prava

arka_prava

Kolkota
    Re: Fiat to fix faulty AC in the linea and punto!!

what is the email id of fiat support?
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

service@fiapl.com
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore

Don't worry, Viny. My Fiat Linea 1.4 FIRE gives company to yours! Please see the photographic evidence. I noticed this sticker on the second day after taking delivery of my Linea. I was [and I am still] under the impression that it might have been a common part for both the versions. After seeing your ordeal, now I am in two minds to go in upgradation of AC kit as I don't feel any problem with the present one.
    [attachment=0:2opvwaua]001.JPG[/attachment:2opvwaua]

001.JPG
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

Well, I am not sure if i should be happy to see a partner here or feel sad about the manufacturing issue (if it is). I await reply from senior management, Fiat.

As for AC upgradation, if you are comfortable with current status, i would suggest you to hold on with it until summer, you will be able to review a lot many feedbacks by then. Who knows the AC Replacement Kit might need a version 2 replacements too, I already got ECU replaced prior to this on the name of solution for AC Cooling issues. :(
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

After AC kit replacement, I don't feel any kind of improvement. I fully avoid to open windows so use AC in winter in on\off fashion. I feel better coolling in last winter season with old kit.
  10. Viny

Viny Esperto

Well even I had similar opinion, but i will take few more rides with some sun on top to get to some conclusions.