1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to re-launch 500 in India

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Ravi, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Fiat India is planning to re-launch its premium compact hatchback, the Fiat 500 (Cinquecento in Italian) over the coming months. The company plans to position the car more aggressively vis-a-vis its main rival the Volkswagen Beetle.

Mr. Rajeev Kapoor, CEO, Fiat India -
    The move of the company to re-launch the car comes on the back of the Volkswagen Beetle having done exceedingly well in the market, leaving the Fiat 500 biting the dust. Volkswagen has sold 300 units of the Beetle since its launch last November while on the other hand Fiat has only managed to sell a meager 68 units of its 500 ever since the car was launched way back in July 2008.

The company is now looking to claw its way back into the premium segment of the hatchback market by re-launching the car at a more attractive price point along with an extensive list of customization options.

Mr. Kapoor Added -
    Source - Indian Autos Blog & http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new ... 185068.cms
  2. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    They need to provide better engine options too. It doesn't seem right if a car costing 15 lakhs has the same engine as 5-7 lakh rupee cars.
  3. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i think it shud be in the 4-7 lakh category depending on the engine option. therz no point in having a iconic car like the 500 and not able sell it. ppl shud drive it to feel the taste of modern Fiat cars. its high time the other cars in line shud be brought soon to the indian market. the New Palio 2012, the New Uno , the much awaited Fiat small car india specific, Linea T-jet, Punto T-jet ,Linea 1.6 MJD. c'mon Fiat India-----make it happen fast.
  4. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    They can never price it in 4-7 lakh category. It is a lifestyle car and will continue to be expensive. It competes with the likes of Beetle and Mini. It is much cheaper compared to Beetle in India. If at all FIAT enters the lower priced segment, it will be thorugh new UNo, new Palio or the India specific small car that they are working on.
  5. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    but since Fiat's image has taken alot beating, it can be a gud option to promote the car.
  6. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For the cost i can say the interiors are far superior than other cars.. Well yea they should probably get the 500 wid the 1.9MD option for the price they offer..
  7. rajbajwa

rajbajwa

Mumbai
    I had seen plenty of Fiat 500s on the road in Western Europe when I was there in November 2009. I got to know the Fiat 500 costs just a bit above 10,00 Euros (Roughly 7.5 lac rupees). In India the pricing will always be in the region of 15 lacs as Fiat wants to sell the Iconic 500 globally which are manufactured only in Italy. We know the taxes on Completely Built Units (CBUs) are more than 100 %. My point is that if anyone is buying a Fiat 500 should know that it's an 8 Lac rupee car that he/she is buying and is paying the premium for it's looks, wow factor of a true Italian car manufactured in Italy. It's no different from a Ferrari owner in India who has paid 3 crores for the car which in reality is jut a 1.5 crore car.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    If Fiat wants to create a nuclear blast in the market they should start manufacturing the 500 here and re-launch it with the TJet 114ps engine. What a pocket rocket this will be!!! Even after manufacturing it here, they can price it around 12 lakhs considering the niche segment it is in.
  9. I remember reading somewhere that 500 is manufactured only in Italy not sure if it's true though