1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to make Jeep in india around 15 lakhs

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by vinit, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Anirudha Mukerjee

Anirudha Mukerjee Timido

Punto Evo 1.4
  2. avi_loveindia

avi_loveindia Amatore

Grande Punto 1.2
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. bibin

bibin Regolare

Truly Yummy

if it is priced around (15 to 20) lac then toyota would have to redesign fortunner.:cow:
    prabhjot and avi_loveindia like this.
  4. arzala

arzala Timido

Grande Punto 1.3
    gpunto75 likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr

No, imo, although it is likely to be a good bit cheaper version-to-version to the Fortuner and the Endeavour too, 15 lakhs is impossible, imo: no way. More like 18 lakhs ex-showroom for a 4x2 petrol manual entry-pont version?

But if they do not avoid the premium-pricing JEEP commands in Brazil, China, Japan and Europe etc: they'll get caught between-two-stools: seen as too-small and not-as-er-'macho' relative to bloated, overweight pickup truck-based Fortuner/Endeavour, while also being seen as poor-desi-vfm relative to the obvious non-entity of an 'suv': the Hyundai Tucson, or topend Hyundai Creta, etc.

The trick will be to have smaller engines (tjet and/or 1.6mjd2) for the more entry-level 4x2 model? While going quite-high price-wise with an uber-luxe-feature-setted 'summit' variant, and/or a full-on 4x4low etc Trailhawk model(s.) Cover a wide price range that way, with the corresponding play on JEEP's twin identity, one as a 'the original and pukka suv', the other as 'a premium or even luxe brand'. They do so in some markets, but especially in their home one of the usa.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    This looks like the Jeep Compass, but I highly doubt it would be launched at less than 20 lakhs ONR. Even at 20-25 lacs, this would be a sought after product rivaling CRV and Yeti at the price point and will be cheaper than Santafe. Not getting Endeavor and Fortuner into contention as they are 7 seaters.

In the USA market the Compass starts at $19,695 and the SRT starts at $65,695(priced at 3.34*Compass). So, given that the SRT range starts at 1.12 crore in India, lets divide it by 2.3 (1.8 for import duty + 0.5 for other stuff), if we assume that the SRT was manufactured in India, which makes it Rs 48.7 lakhs. By this we should get the India manufactured Compass at (48.7/3.34) which is ~14.6 Lakhs Ex-showroom. Add some more margin for Jeep and we should have the starting Compass priced ar 16-17 lacs Ex showroom.

Lets see :)
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Neat post, and logic!

Still too low, though imho: since the c-suv will have a fair amount of (admittedly competitive-cost, from Brazil+China) imported content. I'd say AT best 18.xx lakhs ex-showroom for an entry-level petrol or small-diesel manual, well-enough gizmo-laden, that is. And despite the localized powertrain, sharing with Tata's next-gen Safari x2 suv-s, and the higher scale-economies due to export demand for the india-made new Compass.

BUT: if they're smart about what they leave-in and esp what they leave-out (preferably 'invisible' and esp given what Indians don't give-a-damn-about) of the domestic-sales, non-export version.....?! ;)

They will also have to budget A TON not just for the new dealers, BUT esp for er the exorbitant costs in india for 'media and PR management', if you get my drift.

rusticnomad and Turbothinghy like this.
  8. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Linea 1.3
    By expecting 15L ex showroom, people should prepare themselves to be disappointed. The car, in my opinion will be at the current price point of the Yeti or the upcoming Tuscon (20L - 23L ex showroom) since they are in comparable segments.

I wish that they manage to bring it below 20L for in order to draw in more customers and get a foothold in India.
    prabhjot, gpunto75 and rusticnomad like this.
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    Fiat should be aware that for a paying Indian size matters and Jeep does not have the brand pull of a Merc, Audi or Beemer in India. Keeping the above two points in mind they should be careful about the pricing if they wish to sell the product in India. Of course if they simply wish to bullshit they can price it at whatever price they want.

p.s. Please note that for all the stupid comments of the horse forum, they are actually the guys/girls who are going ahead and buying cars even the very expensive one's. So if Fiat is serious about selling stuff then they should be listening to the one's who are actually going to buy the car's.
    prabhjot, gpunto75 and rusticnomad like this.
  10. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    From what I understand, Yeti is a failed product. No matter how good a car it may have been! I think it is more to do with the segment. A small Pseudo SUV with 5 seats and barely any road presence with a high price and an unknown or less known and aspirational brand name is not going to sell. Why launch a car in a segment that's dud, I fail to understand. Launch it @ 18-22 Lacs in a dud segment and that's the first step towards failure.

Since this car is a strict 5 seater and would definitely lose out to Endy or Fortuner in terms of presence, space and engine size etc.; Jeep should not even think to pit it against those two.

If they want this car to achieve high sales figures, they have to price it in Creta, XUV category. Launch it at 13-17 ex showroom and a lot of young janta like me earning decent money, looking for a new SUVish vehicle but find ecosport too small, duster too boring (and no value for money), Creta which is really not good enough to be called an suv, Mahindra XUV too common and relatively not so good brand image; would definitely love to buy a Jeep.
    When you compare a Jeep to the above mentioned brands; it is so much more aspirational but compare it to Merc, BMW, Volvo & Audi...hmmm!!
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    prabhjot and Raj_pol like this.