1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to expand its presence in India- To launch Chrysler's Jeep,Alfa Romeo & Maserati

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by saharsh, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

after the launch of XUV 5OO, i think the SUV market is becoming extremely competetive and i hope FIAT gets the most appropriate package with ideal pricing. definitely CBU imports will not work with the new budget taxes that are imposed on CBU, so localization will be the key to drive this.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Flywheel

Flywheel Regolare

I don't think Jeep will compete with the XUV. It should compete in a much higher price bracket with the Germans.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Mods Note - Threads Merged.
    Please search for similar thread before opening new thread.
  4. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

But the million dollar question. Whether these brands will have their independent sales and service without Fiat tag? Like Volkswagen & Skoda.(Though internal management is Fiat).
    Or they will have sales service with exclusive Fiat showrooms?
    My personal opinion is that only bad past is haunting Fiat (E.g. KF airlines. Just for 01 week they cancelled few flights and now all KF staff is just chatting on airports and airlines long queues are there). Once a bad name in market is very difficult to overcome. So Fiat is having double risk. If they say that these brands are owned by Fiat, our foolish janata may not go for it inspite of world standard machines.
    If they come out independently then establishing sales and service throughout India is very big and long term task. So Fiat management must be doing brainstrorming for days n nights together for the final policy.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. asif

Fiat may launch Jeep Cherokee in India

Source 1:Fiat to expand its presence in India through Chrysler's Jeep; To launch Alfa Romeo & Maserati - Economic Times
    Source 2: http://www.cartoq.com/fiat-may-launch-jeep-cherokee-in-india/ jeep-india-launch.jpg

Fiat, the Italian auto giant is rumored to be on the verge of launching Chrysler’s Jeep division and premium brands such as Alfa Romeo in India.

Fiat India, sells only two models, the Grande Punto and the Linea. Introduction of Chrysler and Jeep models such as Cherokee will allow Fiat to expand its product lineup in the country. It has to be noted that Fiat acquired a majority stake in Chrysler, the US auto maker, three years ago.
    According to a newspaper report, a team of senior officials from Chrysler had visited India to conduct a feasibility study for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. The Cherokee is an entry-level premium SUV that is expected to be priced close to the Toyota Fortuner, Chevrolet Captiva and Ford Endeavour in India.

We can expect Chrysler’s Jeep models to be brought into India via the Completely Knocked Down (CKD) route, which attracts lower import duties. Fiat may use its Ranjangaon plant to assemble the Chrysler models. Local assembling of models will likely help Fiat to price the Jeep models competitively. Models of premium brands such as Alfa Romeo will most likely be brought into the country as Completely Built Units (CBUs), which attract 110% import duty.

While almost every global automaker has expanded operations in India by launching cars in segments from compacts to luxury sedans, Fiat hasn't quite stepped on the gas. By getting the cult Jeep brand, Fiat will plug a gap in its portfolio by carving out a presence in the SUV segment. Fiat India CEO Rajeev Kapoor said: "I have no comments to make on this."

Ariel Gavilan, spokesperson for Chrysler, said, "There are no new plans to be announced at this time."
    People close to Fiat point out that Chrysler has big plans for emerging markets, and India is at the core of that strategy.

The Grand Cherokee has been in production since 1992. The latest Grand Cherokee is the fourth generation model and has been given as much as 30 awards for its safety, off-roading potential and luxury features.
    The Grand Cherokee has the typical 7-slat Jeep grille and looks. The side profile shows a high waistline and large trapezoidal wheel arches with good clearance for off-road use. The rear of the Grand Cherokee is again simple design with wrap-around tail-lamps flowing into the rear hatch, and a thick chrome garnish with ‘Jeep’ embossed on it.
    The interiors of the Grand Cherokee are expected to be premium with soft touch materials. The cabin features only two rows of seats for five people, and may discourage buyers looking for a seven-seat SUV.
    The Grand Cherokee is available in both petrol and diesel engine variants. We expect the India-bound Grand Cherokee to be powered by a 3-litre, V6 CRD diesel engine that puts out an impressive 237 bhp of power and 550 Nm of torque. The Grand Cherokee can accelerate from 0 to 100 kmph in 8.2 seconds and achieve a top speed of 203 kmph. The Grand Cherokee clearly has an advantage over the Toyota Fortuner and other SUVs in terms of power, acceleration and overall performance.
    The Grand Cherokee employs a Quadra-Trac II 4×4 system that has ‘Selec-Terrain’ feature for off-roading duties. The Quadra-Trac II has sensors to detect tyre slip and supply torque accordingly. Its off-roading ability is further assisted by Hill Descent Control and Hill Start Assist. The uniqueness of Cherokee lies in its ‘Selec-Terrain’ system that allows the driver to choose from five driving conditions: Sand/Mud, Sport, Auto, Snow and Rock. The Cherokee also features the new Quadra-Lift air suspension system that offers five height settings (modes) depending on the driving conditions.
    The Grand Cherokee is one of the safest premium SUVs for it is loaded with numerous safety features such as eight airbags, ABS, all-four disc brakes, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Enhanced Accident Response System, Traction Control and so on.
    [h=2]Expected Pricing[/h]With the level of equipment, quality of interior upholstery and off-roading abilities, the Grand Cherokee may have a price tag of about Rs. 30 lakh.
    There are no official statements about the entry of Chrysler or premium brands like Alfa Romeo in India. However, it isn’t a surprise for a brand like Chrysler/Jeep focusing on emerging markets like India where the demand for premium luxury vehicles is growing. It would be interesting to see, how Fiat will manage to sell the Jeep and Alfa Romeo cars here when it struggles to sell its own models such as Punto and Linea in significant numbers.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Thats fine if FIAT is getting the Cherokee and the Romeo's here. They will be with the Rich shots for sure and will sell in less Numbers than the Punto/Linea.
    We want something in the range of 3.5 to 4 L to go get the stand going, And we are just making talks on the issue of these Giants. \
    Where as what FIAT said before a year that they are getting a small car Build for INDIA, (Where is IT), Get it soon or else it will be very late.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Fiat does a lot of 'mulling' and every few months we have these reports in the media about Fiat planning a strategy to become a bigger player in India and wanting to launch new models but absolutely nothing happens on the ground so I will believe this when I actually see JEEP and Alfa Romeo here.

CKD Jeep's are a brilliant idea. I hope Fiat will not get too greedy and price the Jeep's alongwith the BMW's & Audi's. It has to be SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper then the Euro SUV's to make it's presence felt in the market. Also, Fiat will have to work hard to explain why it's costlier then the Fortuner.

CBU Alfa Romeo's are a bad idea. The brand is going to be still born if it comes via CBU. Again, Fiat cannot dream of Alfa Romeo competing with the VW Passat let alone BMW and Merc's, unless it's the 8C we are talking about! Besides, what model are they going to bring in? Mito & Giulietta? Both are hatchbacks! The 159 is totally outdated so Fiat better not even think of getting that car here for premium pricing.

What about the Fiat Freelander? I think should seriously look at that car and price it cheaper then Fortuner.
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Amit, 159 production is totally seized. By the way, 159 is most fantasized car around the world where it is not available. The downside, it was over engineered & very-very heavy in it's class. Around 1.6 to 1.8 Tonne depending on the variants being a C-segment car:confused:. For handling, ride & control, i am afraid if you have checked the link below on "German TV" Moose test among showers where as many as 13 different automaker's C-segment cars was tested.
    The only downside, very heavy & Seles-speed gear box in some variants. Watch it, i recommend it.
    Alfa Romeo 159 - better car than BMW 3 - YouTube

There is Giulietta now, absolutely a dream. The safest C-segment compact ever tested till date by EURO N-CAP. With best range of Engines, gearboxes, independent suspension, it secured 2nd no. at the European car of the year "2011". The Nissan Leaf snatched from it being the first hardcore competitive electric car ever. It's bad-luck. But it absolutely bests everything at least on paper where it competes. Individual preference is a different take altogether but AR is like FIAT of small cars. It has even managed some die hard followers where it was never sold. US is specially mad about AR's & people don't hesitate to snatch & run, if they are to import one:boxer. You don't expect AR's to be bad on road but good on paper. Isn't it? AR being almost killed in 2009, Giulietta has resurrected a new life into it & game on! I would hope Giulietta being a costly hatch back option, they should rather debut "Dodge DART", the sedan version of AR-Giulietta.

I hope you are aware of "Jeremy Clarkson's" quote: One can't be a true petrol head until he has driven at least 1 Alfa Romeo is his lifetime". Not to mention that "Henry Ford" used to doff his hat & bow whenever an Alfa passes by:mischievous.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

I have seen the Dodge range in flesh when I was in the US a long time ago. Beautiful vehicles!
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Enki, Alfa's glory days are far behind them. Today the brand is just a shadow of it's former self. Over the year's, Alfa's were among the most unreliable cars on the road and these problems almost killed the brand altogether. Every auto expert in Euorpe said 'Alfa Romeo's are great to drive when they are not broken down!' If this could happen in Europe where people are very well aware of the achievement's & capablities of the Alfa Romeo range of car's then what can happen in a market like India where Alfa will be a new comer?

As for the Giulietta, it doesn't matter what it is or how good it is. India, as a market, has a long way to mature and very little is known about the Alfa Romeo brand legacy here so there is no point in comparing what the European's & American's think about these car's.

Price the Giulietta against the BMW 3 and what do you think people will buy? An Italian hatchback from some brand called Alfa Romeo or a German sedan from BMW?

Passion is great to have but it's of no use if it's not channeled correctly.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.