1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat to expand its presence in India- To launch Chrysler's Jeep,Alfa Romeo & Maserati

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by saharsh, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Fiat to expand its presence in India through Chrysler's Jeep; To launch Alfa Romeo & Maserati - The Economic Times

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
    6 people like this.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

That some news buddy!!

I personally envision Alfa Romeo/dodge with at least 1 or 2 versions locally built. Possibilities could be the Alfa Romeo Giulietta/upcoming Giulia sedan or at least Dodge Dart. These are cars of C/D segment & would be pretty affordable (in Cruze/Civic range). With knocked down kits, they would be easily over 20 lakh.

Criterion is next generation C-Evo platform actually & if some how that could debut in India, we will have time of our lives. It's only & best available platform in the world for mass production (compact) with independent suspension for individual wheels (multi-link rear eliminating the telescopic damper & coil springs). Independent suspension is found mainly in E segment cars capable of very high speeds. It's compact version will under-pin next gen. Punto, Linea, Alfa Mi To & Lancia Delta. It's widened version already underpins Dodge dart & Alfa Giulietta with up-coming vehicles like next dodge avenger & Chrysler 200 C. Not only this, with 70% forged steel, this platform is by far the strongest "producing most secured compacts on date". Even 1 segment up BMW/Audi's chassis looks outdated with the crash & handling result as per the reviews.

All i can say it will drastically improve the basic standard of Indian compact sector.
    If they try to make a niche market out of it with CBUs & high price, then this news is not worth even noticing. Give this platform to us in affordable vehicles like they have done in USA & Europe & man, this would be the most important moment of Indian auto industry.
  3. xplorauto

If executed, this quite certainly could be a splendid piece strategy. Perhaps Mr. Sergio Marchionne is sparing some thought to turn around the ever deteriorating brand image of Fiat in this country. Contrary to the popular belief that the success mantra for an auto maker in the Indian market lies in focusing on the B and C segment cars, my opinion has always been quite the reverse. I can already see some pattern evolving in the slew of decisions from Fiat lately towards that direction which clearly indicates a well choreographed approach to re-position itself here in India.

While many have said, that trashing the Tata-Fiat JV wouldn't be a prudent thing to do, but to my mind, Tata is directly in conflict of interest with Fiat as far as its products are concerned. With this current setup, only Tata would continue to gain at the expense of Fiat. So clearly the JV has to be dumped. But that cant happen overnight. For one, Fiat has to ride out the tenure laid down by the JV contract. But as a more important second aspect, Fiat has to establish an efficient supply, distribution and ASS chain from scratch across the country with utmost care and perfection especially given that they have failed twice before and the Indian consumers have neither forgotten nor forgiven the Italians for that. The challenge compounds manifold if perfection has to be delivered with volume. So, it would more pragmatic if they can test out the to be laid autonomous infrastructure on controlled volumes. That is only possible if they shift focus to premium brands like the Jeep, Alfa Romeos, Lancia, and of course Maserati

So for the next 3 years, or as long as the legal commitments of the JV restrict them, Fiat should launch a product basket from across its subsidiary brands. My pick for that would be:
    • The PATRIOT and GRAND CHEROKEE from Jeep
    • The MITO and GIULIETTA from Alfa Romeo
    • The THEMA and VOYAGER from Lancia
    • The GRAN TURISMO and QUATTROPORTE from Maserati

With a bouquet like that, Fiat SpA might even have the Baverians dazed and dazzled. But what is more important, the niche offerings enable them to control volume but deliver a healthy margin. This would allow them to build the supply and distribution network with focus on quality and customer experience. Over the next 3 years, Fiat can hope to revive its brand perception and garner enough trust for an onslaught with their mass and mid market strategy. That's when they can revoke the JV with Tata and not only migrate products like the Palio, Punto, and Linea to its self owned, autonomous infrastructure but introduce cars like the Panda, Fiat 500 and Bravo as well.
    Also, I feel, that's when the Fiat Caffe initiative would have made a stronger impact to the fortunes of Fiat rather than now.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
  5. gopscreative

gopscreative Amatore

One more positive step towards brand building.Keep it up Fiat..
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Since Jeep is planned for 2012, this shows Fiat will have its own service center (apart from Sales Points), this year itself, outside Tata.

BTW, Jeep looks great -

7. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    If things happen as we all dream this move will mark a change of fortune for FIAT in India.
    What impresses me even more is this:
  8. kaps

kaps Superiore

"if these plans fructify, the new launches will be outside the 50:50 joint venture Fiat has with Tata Motors to make cars for the two companies as well as transmissions and engines."

This as per me is the most important part. Fiat is clearly looking to wriggle out of the technology sharing loophole nicely exploited by Tata, by offering newer products through Chrysler/Maserati route. Getting these hunks will surely give a good filip to brand Fiat. Cost is going to be a BIG consideration though.

So Jeep in 2012 and small car in 2013? Looks like a good road map to me.
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Great going by Fiat-india, At-last they have woken up as they have already set up the cafe, and new hoardings have been set up with the advertisements in the newspapers as well.
    This means Fiat-India will definitely have a separate bay soon, and Fiat will have a range of cars from 3 lac to 20 lacs,
    Some sponsoring in the TV channels required soon to catch some more publicity as it has already been on the catch...
  10. Fiat has been advertising heavily in our regional news channel TV9 from couple of days. Today I saw huge hoardings. However the Linea and the Punto were seen with the fishes in the advertisement ;-)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.