1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto or Ford EcoSport

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by punto2012, May 15, 2013.

1. punto2012

Sure Imran, but somewhere I feel Eco sport is going to get priced around the premium hatchback segment, which is definately going to eat some sales in this segment

WoW Arun, what an Mileage

I am already addicted to Punto from last 6 months, was earlier addicted to Linea in 2009 had almost booked it , but that time came across a sweet deal , where I got a an Accord 3.0 VTEC, for a great deal..couldn't resist it and took it....

Now I am looking for a premium hatchback Diesel..to serve as an highway vehicle for traveling and also for my daily office use.....

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks IB, I am 99.99% sold on Punto, as I am personally in love with Fiat and this car......but just thought to get some opinions in the almost same price range....

Thanks Raj, ECOSPORT attracted me as its an SUV (alike), which I am fond of, but yes PUNTO is no doubt the best hatchback in country.
    Only thing which worries me , is that I stay at Navi Mumbai, and there is only one Dealer in MUMBAI for FIAT, which is mind boggling:eek: from FIAT, how can they be so careless with Financial capital having only one dealer and few joint ventures Service centers..
  2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

A little OT: First Ecosport crash
    I hope the Ecosport is not unstable as, say, the Quanto.
    This should be in the Accidents' thread instead I guess.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. Go for Eco Sport. After driving a Hatch all these years I am bored of hatch and now I feel like i need a Mini SUV (Duster / Eco Sport). The main reason being 'Go Anywhere'. No Doubt Punto is the best Hatch for the Indian Roads but when it comes to Hatch or a Mini SUV then I would go for the later.
    2 people like this.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

To all those jumping around at Mileage figures,i can do a run and post 40+ figures from my Linea.
    We should be more bothered about real life figures,if you look around on the Forum,you will find that real life figures in daily commute is half of these figures.
    Also Eco sport is a Compact SUV,which is a totally new segment for us.So its not neither here or there,it makes more sense than a Safari or a Scorpio in Metros,where you will spend half a day in locating a decent parking spot for these Full Size SUV's.And Fords are excellent handling machines,,Fiats also are excellent at handling,but we need to give other's their credit as well.

No offence to anyone,i agree its a Fiat Forum,but we should not sound like Fanboys as if Fiat's are the best vehicles being sold out there,each and every vehicle has its own USP.

Now Coming to Ecosport and a Punto,both the vehicles may be close when it comes to pricing,but they are segments apart.
    To the OP,go and take a Long test drive of both the vehicles and decide what suits you.
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
    4 people like this.
  5. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

@akshay4384 come on, if you are talking about real life figures in our daily commutes, then its way too less than half of it coz in Bangalore traffic (peak hours) at times the mileage drops to 11 km/ltr.

But am sure, a true drive enthusiast would really not bother about the "Kitna deti hai" factor ;)

If that was the case we would have seen only Tata Indica eV2 and Swifts on Indian roads.

Also, I agree with you on Ford's handling, driven my cousin's Ford ikon several times and found it to be rock solid at speeds of 130-140. When it comes to handling, Ford Figo too gives a tough competition to Fiat Punto. But my friend, aren't we too early to decide on handling of Ford Ecosport ? A compact SUV ? The dynamics of the car to me dont seem to designed for a drive enthusiast but still, I would prefer taking a Test drive before concluding.

Hope it doesn't turn out to be like all hyped Honda Amaze, first diesel engine with 25 km/l and 100PS and I have hardly seen it plying on roads.

Cheers :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
  6. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Buddy since you have nailed down the last two choose from. I would suggest you to wait for a while and let the ecosport get launched.

India is a funny country and a newly launched car will have its good own craze in the market.

Punto is a four year old product in india and already nearing its age. Fiat might come up with a refreshed version soon whereas ecosport is a fresh launch.

Since ecosport is a global product from ford, i am sure it will be a good one.

Wait for the vehicle launch, TD both the diesel heads on the same day and decide. Like our mjd's, Fords tdci motor is also a fun to drive engine.

Another thing to note is ecosport will definitely have a good waiting period after launch where Punto is available in thousands.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  7. sidindica

Hmm...hell lot of debate raging on whether the ecosport will be good or not. I have driven the punto 90 many times, and the Fiesta on which the ecosport is based, and had a good look at the ecosport.

Now, one is a hatchback, one is a compact urban SUV. When it comes to interior legroom, both the cars are in the similar ballpark, though the punto has more usable boot space. The plastic quality feel in both is close to similar, and when it comes to driving, the art of ride and handling balance that Ford has perfected cannot be matched by the GP. The GP has 185 mm vs Ecosport 200 mm GC. Plus, the 1.5 TDCI is more refined and the cabin of the fiesta is close to serene (expect the same in the ecosport). The big volumetric efficiency and correct tuning means that the ecosport will accelerate faster, but the multijet has better in gear acceleration. And the ecosport is a new product compared to the 8 year old engineered GP.

All in all, if you require a vehicle with a high seating position and high GC and more refinement plus more gizmos (SYNC is anyday better than the dated blue and me), then go for the ecosport. Else, the 2013 Punto 90 HP is the one to go for if you want a vehicle for normal use and the one that has more longitudinal space. Cost of service and maintenance should be similar for both.

Test drive both and then choose the one that suits you better.
    4 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly know what you really want :D

4 people like this.