1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Punto MJD or Honda Jazz

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Toruk_Macto, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Punto or Jazz or Wait for new Punto

1. FIAT Punto MJD 1.3 Emotion

87.5%
  2. HONDA Jazz S

6.3%
  3. Wait for new Punto

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I am newbie in Team-Fiat and this is my first post. I have been using Team-FIAT for quite some time now to research which car should I purchase and reading lots of ownership reviews. I have narrowed down my choices to the 2 cars mentioned below. I am so much confused that I am not able to take decision. I am sure your comment will help me clear my confusion.

Just giving you all little background on how I arrived at 2 cars. Please consider my requirements while suggesting.
    My requirements:

1. Good Space – We are a family of 6 with 2 kids. Though most of the time I will travel alone (for office) or with my wife and 2 kids, I will still need a good space (for occasional week-end trips to accommodate my parents).
    2. Solid Built – I plan to keep it for atleast 5 years (May be more than that)
    3. Budget – 5.5 to 6.5 lacs
    4. Good Fuel Economy and Reasonable maintenance cost.
    5. Decent level of equipment. Don’t want to go for very basic version.
    6. Hatchback – Don’t need a boot since I will not be travelling out of the city with this car.
    7. Monthly running would be around 800-900 Kms which includes 50% city and 50% highway. Confused about whether to go for Diesel or Petrol.

I have test driven almost all the hatchbacks and following are the result :
    1. Since Space is one of my important constraints all the Altos, A-starts, Santros, i10s etc are rejected.
    2. MS Swift – Bored of it. Just don’t want to be another Swifter. Plus long waiting time has sealed it.
    3. MS Ritz – All the negative about Swifts + Aweful shape. Not even thinking about owning it.
    4. Polo, Fabia – Out of budget + Low level of equipment.
    5. I20 – Frankly speaking, apart from great interiors, I did not like anything in this car. It’s too over-priced and dealer’s arrogant attitude. Just can’t take it.
    6. Ford Figo– Liked this car for its price. But then, at almost same price I am getting Punto(considering all the discount). IMO Punto is much better value for money than Figo.
    7. Tata Vista – Did not like build quality, interiors, it’s taxi image etc etc

Now comes the point of confusion.
    8. FIAT Punto – I never thought I would ever discuss this car. But, Since I test-drove this car early this year, I completely fell in love with this car. Though, I have heard about its interior quality, bad ASS etc etc, there is something about this car which attracts. I am sure lots of people will agree with this. And add to it, I think this car is best value for money and within my budget.
    9. Honda Jazz – Again, I never thought I would ever consider this car. Though I always liked this car (there is nothing wrong in it to talk about), its price was a put-off. But, now since it has come in my price range, I am taking it seriously.

So, Following are the 2 cars, I am confused about.
    1. Punto Emotion 1.3 (OTR Mumbai after all the discounts – 6.4 lacs)
    2. Honda Jazz S (OTR Mumbai – 6.5 lacs)
    The confusion between Emotion 1.3 and Jazz is that almost in same cost, I am getting diesel in Punto and petrol car in Jazz. Not able to decide, which one is the better deal.

Few points I will like to consider:
    1. I found Punto’s rear seat space adequate, since nobody in my family is above 5.5 feet. I do not take front seat all the way back. It will provide enough leg-room for others.
    2. I am a sedate driver and will hardly go above 100 Kmph. Also, I can leave with little sluggish pick-up. But then, am I justifying buying a punto with all its greatness of ride & handling, great steering etc?
    3. I have heard Jazz gives mileage of more than 15 in city and around 18-19 on Highway. Is it true?
    Oh man, it’s so confusing. I was never so confused about selecting my wife. But, about selecting car, it’s so confusing. If I have to quantify my confusion, following are percentages
    1. Punto Emotion 1.3 – 51 % (because of diesel engine, it will reduce my monthly cost drastically + ABS)
    2. Honda Jazz S – 49 % (Everything about Jazz is correct at that price)

If I am going for Punto, Should I book now or wait for Facelifted Punto’s Launch? I don’t want to get in a situation where I buy my dream car and new version is launched within 3 months.
    Just added a poll. Please provide your suggestion. Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    If you are ok to wait for new Punto then wait for Auto Expo 2012 which is in Early Jan 2012. Lets FIAT will launch new Punto in that Auto Expo.

If you dont want to wait then close your eyes and go for Punto as it is Diesel vehicle.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Toruk_Macto, the information you provided is absolutely correct, nobody can provide you more info.
    You can buy either of them. Buy whichever car gave you more pleasure in test driving.

In Mumbai, service should not be an issue. Mind you the maintanance cost is much lower for Punto. However, Jazz has lots of boot space.

From where you got this info?
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Its a head or heart kind of decision,

Whats important to note is your monthly running and also whether you are able to take care of the expensive service honda's offer. Also jazz does not deliver any more than 12-13 in the city and 17-18(thanks to long gearing) on highway.

The Honda ticks all the right box's except that it is a petrol and that is a very big deterrent considering the fuel prices.
    the Punto is more like a practical and a very smart choice keeping both heart and pocket happy.

But surely as an overall car honda JAZZ is what I would choose(thanks to more sensible pricing), and also if my company would provide me reimbursement for fuel bills
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Ravi FIAT is going to launch new Punto in Frankfurt Auto Show, So I am expecting they could showcase new Punto in Delhi Auto Expo on 7th Jan 2012.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Zola'u nìprrte Turok Makto to Team FIAT India. :)

Regarding Honda Jazz vs Punto MJD:
    1. ECONOMY of Diesel:
    Lets assume both Punto MJD and Jazz give 16kmpl in city traffic.
    Honda Jazz: FE- 16kmpl, Fuel- 70/liter. So per Km cost= Rs 70/16= Rs4.4/Km.
    FIAT Punto: FE- 16kmpl, Fuel- 40/liter. So per Km cost= Rs 40/16= Rs2.5/Km.
    At a monthly running of as low as 800Km, you save= 3520 - 2000= Rs1520.
    Annual saving of 1520x12= Rs18240.

Of course, I did not take into account the fact that Punto 1.3MJD will give higher FE as compared to Jazz in city as well as highways.

2. Ride, Handling, stability, design (subjective) and safety of Punto is much better than the Honda Jazz.

3. It is a general observation that monthly running increases after a new car purchase. Also, what if you plan to go on a holiday trip to some far place. A diesel car at home does not inflate the bill in such cases. Example is our very own member KdarBendre who sold his 4-5 months old Punto 1.2 to buy the Punto MJD 90HP.

4. Hond Jazz has some pros as well:- The engine is very silent. In my observation, it is the most silent hatchback amongst all 1.2 liter cars. Cabin is more spacious as compared to Punto, dash plastics has fewer panel gaps (almost none) though the dash board design itself is nothing special. It comes with a Honda badge BTW which holds importance in the society.

5. Spare parts of Punto are cheaper than Jazz. And the service interval is long (1 year).
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Thats true PS and Toruk_Macto. Once you get a car in your hand you cant control yourself. I completed 15k in just 6 months in my Petrol Punto. Looking at my car usage the expenses on FUEL in every was near about Rs 8k so I decided to sell Petrol Punto and bought Punto 90HP.

The same thing happening with 90HP also. My car is near about one and half month and I completed 4000k mark on ODO. My cars current odo reading is 4006km.
  8. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto for the "Value For Money" factor.
    Jazz for the "Space" factor.
  9. anoop

anoop Superiore

Why does this thread sounds very familiar? Only because I was in same dilemma and Punto and Jazz were the last contenders.
    You case is more harder than my case because when I was considering Jazz, the price cut was not announced.

Both cars are good, and you cannot go wrong with both decisions. On one hand, Punto gives you diesel economy, the BEST handling, very good ride comfort etc but of the other hand, Jazz gives you additional safety features, alloys, more space and reclining back seats.

Punto is more about driver comfort and Jazz is more about passenger comfort. In my case, at the end of the day, I realized that I want a car which gives me great handling and control - I want the car to pamper me and please me, and the ride quality of Punto was an additional advantage.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to your personal choice. Go with a car which will make you more happy - do not buy a car and keep on regretting that you did not buy the other car :)

PS: I have a Punto and a Vista and the opinion in my home is like - for driving comfort, Punto - for backseat comfort, Vista.
    PPS: My relative was also on same boat - his options were Punto 1.4 Vs Jazz Select. I helped him and made up his mind to get Jazz - he is waiting for delivery of his Jazz now.
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    my friend who was sailing in the same boat as you just decided for the punto 90hp. kedar knows the story too as we met him in the fiat showroom.

he doesnt even drive the car so took me to test drive all cars. the first showroom we visited was honda. 1st car we drove was jazz. as a thumb rule a linea owner loved jazz for space but hated its drive, pick up, suspension everything. then we drove the new honda city. i hated this too, the steering is so dull, the suspension sucks, and the brakes- i think they will take you thru hell during panic braking. however the car is quick- but not quicker than TJET if you wanna really compare.

My friend made a comment sitting at the back of both jazz and city- yaar Amit i am swaying at the rear and i am getting a vommitting sensation. body roll is a problem here.

then we went to fiat and took out the 90hp punto. and my friend started jumping with joy. within a km of drive over the pune road- i mean the craters he decided that punto 90hp is the car. while driving it i too again fell in love with 90hp dream machine. it pulls like a locomotive.

he then updated his status on Facebook " Choosing a car is like choosing a Bride, you see he for the first time and you know she is the one for you"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.