1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto MJD - Damage in back door

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by samnik60, Jan 24, 2014.

1. samnik60

samnik60 Timido

Hi guys,
    I have done an unfortunate damage:A to my car's back door (As shown in attachment) .The car is brand new and not even a month old. I am in the learning curve of driving in chennai city traffic, so i am wondering the following

1. There are no issues in the drive, i can close/open the door without problem. But still ,should i take care of this damage now to avoid
    future issues?

2. Will my bumper to bumper from Future Generalli cover these kind of damages?

3. I took the delivery from RDC chennai so thinking of going to RDC service center in Ambattur( This one has body shop ) , is this a good idea or are there any other economical alternates?

4. Can anyone give an approximate estimate for this body work?

I dont mind waiting till my first service ( i.e 5 more months to go ) , its just that if the damage is worth attending earlier i would like to do so.

2. krismask

krismask Amatore

From the looks of it, its clear that some part the paint is gone and the body is exposed. If you leave it un attended, there is possibility of getting rusted. In general its not advisable to use bumper to bumper insurance for small claims since you will end up in loosing no claim bonus for next renewal and premium would go high. Hence if the estimate is few thousands, pay from your pocket or get it done from some trusted local body shop. I am sure some more advise will come in from experts around here.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Linea 1.3
    Yes, as suggested by krismask, you should fix it asap, as metal is exposed.

Roughly 2K. (This "depends", for sure).

Keep learning ;)
  4. samnik60

samnik60 Timido

Got my punto rectified , missed to update the charge details. So here they are,

Insurance was claimed for 12,500

I had to pay 1000 from my pocket.

Still the impact and emotions from the damage is haunting me.

Hope i become a excellent driver soon.
  5. bharath

bharath Regolare

Hi Sam ,Even I was new to four wheel drive and it took me just a month to get used to and so dont worry as its just a matter of time getting used to drive.Also,most issues can be rectified these days and it just requires some patience only.So don't worry and everything will be fine as the days pass on.Believe me ,you will handle your CAR like a BIKE once you get used to it :evilsmile.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Rs.12500/- is way more than the amount predicted in the above posts! Can you please elaborate a bit more on what jobs were undertaken? An item-wise account of the expenses would be much appreciated. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

12.5K is way too much for the repair of the damage seen in the first post. I would say max of 6.5K would have been sufficient for both the panel jobs including the painting. Can you post the scanned copy of the bill? or was some additional work other the metal work done?
  8. samnik60

samnik60 Timido

Hi Guys,PFA invoice. The SA in body shop told me there wont be detailed bill for these kinds of claim , says these are flat rate operations.

ghodlur : ya I had a scratch removed from my front bumper as part of this claim .

PS : I got scratches again in the same region. PFA photo. I am planning on let this one go till first service .Do i really need to get some door protection accessories to get protection from these damages. Because this time the damage has been done by a third party ( alto :evil: ) and i havent noticed it for two days :(.

Is there no economical alternates for paint jobs in chennai. Do every one go to service centers for it ?

RDC invoice :

Current Damage:

9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Why does it look so much better than the previous (first picture). In a way it looks much better.

Try touch-ups and repeated polishing. No need to go for a paint job. If primer layer is gone, metal maybe exposed which can be take care of during touchup.

Dont worry it is an easy fix, that should cost much much less that before approx. less than Rs.3K/- However touchup will be a job that make it 90% good. You should not spend repainting complete panels (2 in this case) unless more damage was there.