1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Headlight change

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by PuntoMan, Oct 7, 2015.

1. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I haven't changed the headlights on my Punto since I bought it in 2012.

Now with a lot of night time driving I am planning to get some brighter bulbs for the headlight.

After going thru a lot of threads at teamfiat, I am a bit confused with what I need to get it changed. Here's what I am looking for and my questions along with it:

1. Planning to change only headlight bulbs and not the fog lamps. Is this advisable?
    2. Do I need separate bulbs for low and high beam?
    3. I am assuming that H4 bulbs is what will sit on my Punto. Correct?
    4. Philips X-treme Vision and OSRAM NB are 2 competitors here. Any other suggestions.

Please note, I DO NOT want to upgrade to 100W or HIDs or LEDs or any of those jazzy bulbs. Just want to change the bulbs with same wattage with better/ brighter throw.

Hope someone can throw some 'light' on this. Thanks for your help!
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, you can leave fog lamp upgrade.
    Not required, it is same bulb.
    Yes.
    Both are almost similar. I have used Philips X-treme.

Now, upgrading bulbs will not make any significant changes.

I suggest, consider upgrading to 100/90, if you plan to do night highway driving. For city driving, OE bulbs are sufficient.
  3. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Philips XVs were on my car for quite more than an year, as most of my trips would be night drives so considered to swap stock ones to Philips XVs (Changed both H4 and H1 to Philips XVs), costed me around 2000/- for all.
    Cannot expect the company claiming (100% more throw), but these are little better than stock bulbs and better for dry roads.
    These have a slight whitish tint than stock bulbs which isn't good on rainy nights and on pitch black tarmac, which is right after a heavy downpour.
    No doubt 100/90 are good for night highway drives, but got to think of clean install through the rubber caps, leaving no gap for the moisture to leak in and consider the after effects by excess heat generated by higher watt bulbs.
    Guess Philips X-treme Vision are widely available and costs less than OSRAM NB.
    Both these products have been updated now to XV+ and NB+, claiming 130% improvement in throw and better life.
  4. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Maddy79 - From your reply, I understand H1 is for the fog lamps. My understanding correct?

How much of a modification and risk is it to upgrade to a 100/90? Impact on the battery/ reflectors - due to heat, etc.? I am still contemplating if I should really go for 100/90 now itself. BTW, I do drive on highways most of the time.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @PuntoMan

Go for 100/90 upgrade,i'm more of night rider and prefer highway drives mostly.Check here , though being locally made it is performing very well.
  6. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    I have installed Philips 100/90 in my Punto. When I changed it first, they had not tightened the relay properly to the battery and resulted in killing my battery (luckily there was no fire). Second time got Roots relay and installed properly and no issues from past an year or so.

Most of these shops have kids who do the installation or people who are in real hurry to attend other vehicles. Hence if you are going for 100/90 please make sure that installation is perfect. Previously had Philips XV and this change to 100/90 makes a load of difference specially in monsoons, additionally I drive normally in low beam which still is amazing.
  7. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes, for GP H4 for headlights and H1 for Fog/lower driving lights.
    Modification will be risk free if you insist the installer for a tight and leak free fitting of the new harness through the rubber caps and seal it with any sealant.

Impact on battery:
    Definitely it will impact the stock battery as it consumes double the power and discharge the battery unless it is driven for good distance.
    1)Peak load of headlights 60+55=115 ( as both filaments work while flashing ) *2 =230/12volts ,approx 20amps
    2)Continuous load of headlight (low beam) stock 55*2=110w /12 volts, approx 10 amps
    3)Peak load of headlights 100+90=190 ( as both filaments work while flashing ) *2 =380/12volts ,more than 30amps
    4)Continuous load of headlight (low beam) stock 90*2=180w /12 volts, approx 15 amps

Just watch out if your stock battery can handle the above lighting load along with remaining electrical load of your car.
    Hope 1.4 comes with 45ah, so 55ah battery will be better option ( making 80% load on battery)

Impact on the reflectors is doubtful, already there is a mixed opinion on this form and very recently @Ganges did a headlight restoration done and they are back to shine and there was hardly no difference/ deterioration on the reflectors.

So do a little math and take a call, you can go for Hella dual relay harness which is best & widely available in market or look in AMAZON.in for THIMSON wiring harness, it looks promising with thicker wiring.
    http://www.amazon.in/Thimson-H4-Hea...sbs_263_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=02ZZ2PKRSEJ25BPPP966

Or if you want to leave the headlights stock then opt for auxiliary lights ( look for Hella commet 450)
    Even the Aux lighting will be 55w H3 by default.
    Ganges likes this.
  8. PuntoMan

PuntoMan Timido

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Too confusing and too risky. Went ahead and bought Philips xtreme vision 60/55 W.

In my opnion, xtreme vision has more coverage than stock. Other than that, yes - it is whiter than the older ones. But that does not add any benefit. You will fight for better visibility on wet roads or rainy day even with xtreme vision.
  9. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    I upgraded to the Phillips Extremevision Plus H4 55/60 W. The results are good so far. Will be using in night driving on Thursday and can write more about it. It is definitely better than the stock ones though.
  10. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    The new bulbs are really good. The throw is better and I can notice that enhanced visibility which Phillips talks about.