1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Ground Clearance Upgrade for Leh Trip

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ess Kay, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Ess Kay

Ess Kay

New Delhi
    Dear All,
    I know this has been discussed multiple times in multiple forums and don't want to sound "Naïve" but have to ask the question differently. Will Appreciate feedback from all. I am planning to finally go for a trip to Leh and late August 2014. I own a Fiat Punto emotion 2010 diesel which is 100% stock in terms of performance upgrades. I know the car is quite sturdy and have loved every single day of driving in the last 4 years. Have already travelled to Manali/Rohtang pass without any troubles in the same car. Now I have read through several travelogues and forums on teamfiat.co.in about people travelling to Leh in a fiat and all going happy along with some horror stories. Here is my question -

Do I really need to upgrade the ground clearance with the GC kit or I can do without it.

The currently profile is as follows -

Tyre size - 175/70/ R14 (Will need replacement anyways before I go, as they have been driven for 60k already)
    Suspension - All stock, going great, don't find any issues with GC but I primarily drive on Delhi Gurgaon highway (NH 8) so that could be one reason and its much much smoother than my accent which is the same year model. (I know they are world apart)

A couple of options I am contemplating -

1. Get the GC upgrade kit from Fiat ASS, costing around 17k (Plus new Stock Tyres)
    2. Go for tyre upgrade at the cost of around 22k (Will save me quite a lot because I will not need GC upgrade)
    3. Go as is, let the engine guard/plate fight the battle and I will replace it once I am back at a nominal cost of 1.5K.

I appreciate all your inputs to make this trip become a reality, adventurous but not in terms keep battling the bad roads.

Cheers!!!
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is the one you should opt,before that how old is your car ? i think GC was raised in 2013 model cars
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My suggestion, do one of the below -

• Option 1 - Replace tyres with 185/70 size, and get GC upgrade done - Best option.
    • Option 2 - Replace all rim with 15" steel rim (900 per rim) and put 195/65 tyres on it, to have some increased GC.

Though people has done Leh trip, even with stock Linea GC. But GC upgrade will certainly help you.
    No need to go for most expensive tyres, choose Apollo Accelere.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The GC was raised in 2012 model cars. 185mm for diesel cars. You can do without GC kit but more ground clearance is always better. People have driven to Leh in their Linea with 165mm GC (J Ravi sir from Bangalore and Biju Jose from Kerala drove to Leh in Linea) so Punto with 171mm GC should be doable.
  5. Ess Kay

Ess Kay

New Delhi
    Thanks All, really motivating to hear that a Linea with 165 MM GC did it,

Hi Ganges, the car is 2010 model, 60k driven so far.

- - - Merged Post - - -

@ Ravi, the second option you suggested to upgrade to 195, will it make the car look weired and spoil the beauty? I generally don't like tyres coming out of the fenders personally. Totally like everything stock..
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Considering the age of the car,it would be good if you have GC kit rather the upgrade in tires.Worth it.GC kit will be cheaper for you.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    195/60 is standard size in Emotion, so 195/65 is very good upgrade and little useful GC increase.

175/70 R14, is weired size Fiat gave on old Emotion model, 185/70 is matching size compared to 195/60 R15.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk