1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto FIRE 1.4 EPK: Moving from Premium to Normal Petrol

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ravenlord, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    When I first got my car three years ago, I was planning to start using normal petrol (I used premium for my old Zen earlier), but thanks to habit -- I told the pump attendant to put premium! I've been using premium all this while and now, for obvious reasons, would like to shift to normal. I found a thread there for diesel engines that suggested using normal. Does the same hold true for petrol engines as well? Is there a risk in moving from premium to normal petrol now? If I do make the shift, do I need to drain my engine of any premium petrol or a little mix won't be damaging? I assume since it is octane and additives anyway, it isn't going to make a difference if a liter or so of premium is mixed with 20 liters of normal -- any thoughts?
    1 person likes this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Frankly there should be no issues.. Whether its moving from premium fuels to normal ones or the other way round.
    The same holds good for both petrol and diesel..
    There is no proper maintaining of premium fuels in india and my honest outlook is there are many times the same fuel is branded as premium and sold. No one really bothers do to a regular check on these things...
    (SHELL is an exception).

Do not worry you can safely change there is nothing that is going to happen
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ravenlord

Ravenlord Novizio

Gurgaon
    Thank you! That eases my mind a lot! I guess I will shift to normal once the current fuel runs out!
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    All BS4 regular petrol is 91 Octane and FIAT specifies a minimum of 91 octane. So no issues there.

Premium/high octane stuff is really not needed for our cars. Just an unnecessary and expensive overkill. :)