1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Facelift - EVO - Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by kedarbendre, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Instead of badging the outgoing models as CLASSIC, I wish they could name it as WAS eg "PUNTO Was", "LINEA Was":))

2 people like this.
  2. Gaurav Chakraborty

Gaurav Chakraborty Amatore

New Delhi
    likethe turn indicator position in the punto shown in the new tv ad :)
  3. jackharrisw

jackharrisw Amatore

While the whole world who have test driven Punto and now own competitors hatchbacks have reasons to complain about the topend engine performance and gear ratios you people seem to be different. While, I am a FIAT fan I would say Bad as bad and Good as good and won't say any day that Punto's gear ratio or for that matter gear box matches that of Swift or I20. FIAT definitely made Punto fail in the gearbox department. While you people are bothered much about the Indicator light placement and all, I am much skeptical about the Gearbox in new Punto. I don't like people who own Swift, drive my Punto and say that Swifts engine is refined and Gearbox is good in Swift than Punto.. I am a FIAT fan you see. While people talk about safety above 100kmph in highways, I am a person who does some frequent highway trips from Chennai to Kanyakumari, while I am travelling at 100 kmph I am overtaken by almost 90 percent of the cars and the highways in Tamil Nadu especially Chennai-Kanyakumari is safe for even 140 during daytime and this is where I feel Punto not matching Swift's performance.

Bottom line is, I expect better gearbox atleast in New Punto.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

You are right about the gear box and i too wish they do something about it in the upcoming Punto. Punto is a heavy car and it may not win a drag race against swift from a traffic signal start, but i don't it is bad performer on highways. it can easily reach 120 with out breaking a sweat. "overtaken by 90% of the cars doing over 100 Km/Hr that seems over kill my friend. if some one is overtaking you doesn't mean you car is slow, they are simply going faster. if you don't want to let them pass just step on the pedal :)
    2 people like this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

The latest Maserati esque gaping grill is looking awesome. I am not sure about those Tear drop headlights though, have to see in person. I wonder why Bravo's headlight design was not opted here? Anyways, I am sure Aesthetically even this facelift would be smashing!

90 HP glides past Swift/Ritz diesels at speeds above 150 km/hr. It would take 3-4 mins to reduce to a tiny dot, I am talking about Yamuna Expressway where there was no traffic. There was a single person in Swift (obviously the driver) while we were 4 people in 90 HP. It somewhat kept up with Punto till 150 km/hr and then it started lagging behind consistently. I don't agree with your performance perception, pls get your car checked (75 HP upto 150 km/hr is hardly slower than 90 HP)

Only problem FIAT gear Box is it's longer throws (it's an old GM gear box actually when FIAT was acquired by GM back in 2000s). It does somehow eats into performance but only to a margin 1-2%.

Having said that I don't think Swift/Ritz Gearboxes are inspired by Ferrari's Ultra-quick 10 milli-secs F1 shift either:p. Infact They have to be worst because that's how much Maruti knows about gearboxes. It's a matter of taste actually and i personally liked these longer throws.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    4 people like this.
  6. GirishRaghu

GirishRaghu Amatore

MH-15 / MH-04
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am not a speed freak, I normally do 80 or 90 on national highways, occassionally I do get the adrenanline rush and hit 110 or so but thats just for a minute or so thats it, not beyond that :) As pointed out earlier, our roads are not suited for such 3 digit speeds as it is full of idiots - remember CEAT commercial on TV ; I reckon it is very true. I also feel that going fast wears me out fast; whereas maintaining a steady speed I can drive for longer duration non stop. This is just a personal experience.

I still remember the incident last year, while I was returning to Thane from Kolhapur. NH-4 is a delight except a few bad stretches. There was this Swift diesel which was racing with me. He overtook me quite easily as he was doing 100+. But then a bad stretch came and he had so slow down considerably while I just glided over the rough patch and overtook him. This happened 3-4 times, and I guess and killed his ego. Felt quite satisfied :cool:

In a nutshell, it is just not raw speed but dynamics matter too and I guess no other hatch can come remotely close here.
    The Punto indeed is "Queen of Highways", I am pretty sure the GP 2014 will take the game forward :)

The things I wish to see in GP 2014 are -

1. Driver arm rest
    2. Marginally more leg room at the rear.

I reckon the interiors are top notch now, and is not an issue any more.

3 people like this.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

What I feel current GP is missing ....

1. Horrible peee peee horn :A
    2. Not a rear mounted antennae like European Punto

Let's hope same gets addressed in upcoming facelift.
    2 people like this.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Is this really an issue? We have the option to fix this by choosing a horn of our choice. ;)
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Adding a couple of wishlist from my side too.

1) A 2 Din HU with USB port
    2) Much better plastic quality (esp the boot opening, fule opening handles, glovebox etc)

Not too much ask from Fiat is it??
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

I think the new Lineas HU system will be rolled out across product lines from now on to ease the cost expenditure as from the pictures.
    USB port is already avail as part of BnM. So why again?
    From the price FIAT is giving off, i guess plastic quality isnt that bad either. Atleast i did not feel so far in my GP. Yes the fit n finish needs to be improved alot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.