1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo or Elite i20?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by PersianPrince, Aug 25, 2014.

1. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    You gave answer to your quary, Fiat Gearbox is not same as Maruti gearbox, where in gear acceleration in first & second gear is better. Maruti is light weight so the pulling torque per weight is more than fiat. That is the reason you felt this.

Case 1:- Take 3 kg weight in your hand and try to spin and take 5 kg and try, it is your same hand but spin will be less in 5 kg case.
    Case 2:- Sehwag has the breathtaking century and treat to watch ( FTD as Swift), but long term safety & secure century is from Sachin ( Sluggish but steady FIAT). So you may expect from Sehwag to built fastest score not the steady century, but steady & fast can be expected from Sachin. Both are different. Same Maruti & Fiat scenario.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well its up to you wheteher you are happy to have it that way. Its your take whether you want have a fast, well bulit and dynamically sorted car or a sluggish car with the same qualities.

I do not yet understand why each one of us tries to defend something that is inherently wrong with Fiat cars in India. Even I counter the non Fiat fans with the same logic. Since I am posting in a site which is made for the Fiatians I have to admit what i actually feel rather that trying to defend our cars.The Europeans Fiat with the same MJDs drive faster.
    So why is it that Fiat is dumping the slower ones here in India.

For your kind info please check the comparisions of Vista 90 HP and Punto 90 HP. I do know the quality of build may miles behind Punto but weight wise Vista is pretty heavy and still does better than Punto.

And by the way Sehwag has more doubles than Sachin in tests. So your logic that steady ones always does better is wrong
  3. Murphy_Fiat

Murphy_Fiat Superiore

Trivandrum
    Trivandrum
    Linea T-Jet
    Then There will be question. Kitna Deti hai.
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have read the same examples so many times that its a heavier car and hence the effect. So does that mean we do not want improvement to make the car faster

Each and every other manufacturer have tried to improve all its weakness. But Fiat with so many iteration in between just have the new refreshed interiors and lighter steering to show.

And the rest they have done to dilute the strengths. The weight has increased making the sluggish car more sluggish , increased the GC to make the body roll more prominent and changed the classical design to a more contemporary design. I know the design still looks stunning but its not timeless ones. I do not think any of Fiat fans wanted the change.
  5. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I do not think anyone buying a Fiat would be looking @ the kitna deti hai. We have Marutis and HyundaiS and the Hondas to cater to such people.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Maruthi really tuned the engine very well .I was really surprised when 5 people accommodated swift dezire overtook me @130kmph so easily.I was alone in car.MJD can do but don't know how much driver was confident at that speed.Above 80 kmph swift struggles a lot whereas punto's game starts at that cruising speed with high confidence.I have driven one of my friends Swift which has done 54k kms for 250 kms.it was peppier than punto but when @ high speeds the vibrations , the struggle can easily be felt because I know how punto behaves from that speed 80 kmph.The Confidence.
    I would tag punto is a purely highway car.As buzz going around Evo is now lot better.Coming to design Old punto is a classic, but have to follow the crowd that's what Honda has done and loosing their tag of so called Premium.
    I feel Punto long lasts than Swift considering the way engine has been tuned.
    Himanshukumar likes this.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    No One is trying to defend any wrong things here. It is indeed Fiat forum and will be wrong only if we blindly support FIAT here. No one is trying to defend FIAT as you told less fun to drive than Swift, It is very true, I know it very well too. Maruti is purchasing Engine from Fiat and and usuing GearBox their own and tuned it such a way to give more mileage ( by taking the advantage of their design) and using Fun to drive factor by Gear ratio & in gear acceleration. We never told other car as bad, All are good but one is stronger in one area another is in another. Fiat car are slow to pull in first & second gear we all know, but this is projected such way that we did sinful act by choosing FIAT.

FIAT is not the etarnal car, we believe it is one of the best car not as only Best Car.

I belive we are deviating from the Original topic as Punto Evo vs I20. Please lets discuss this and contine in different thread.

Off Topic:- Sehwag's doubles are with risky and not compact if you analyze and compare with Sachin's ;);).
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    But the Swift and the Vista/Manza have turbo-lag too! Just that they are lighter, although what you say about the gearbox is true i guess. Even European applications of the mjd1 (Punto, 500, 500L) have lag but they've been tuned for better low-end torque because their even small econohatch car cultures do not absolutely prioritize fuel efficiency like is the case in india.

The engines have been tuned this way in India, despite the heavier weight and bigger tyres compared to the competition (version for version), because higher fuel efficiency is achieved in small turbo-ed engines only in higher gears at higher speeds and lower-but-not-too-low rpm-s. The Renault-Nissan diesel with similar power and torque ratings has less lag but is feebler in-gear than the mjd, the same's true of the Ford diesel in the Fiesta.

That just is a trade-off with small turbo-ed engines that I feel we in India do not appreciate enough. Europeans have fewer grouses about turbolag. In that respect we are like the Americans who would rather have NA engines of big-displacement than have to endure a non-linear torque curve (with turbolag).

One could wish Fiat had chosen a more aggressive ecu map, but can you imagine the complaints about how the Punto is the least fuel-efficient hatchback in the market, and the return of the 'Fiats give poor mileage' stigma that used to ascribed to the Palio because of the 1.6? ;-)

Anyway, back to topic: if highway and/or bad-road and/or hilly driving is involved often: Punto Evo, everytime. For exclusively city duties, the new i20's possibly better, but at an exorbitant poor-value price (including warranties, ASS labour charges and parts prices) justified by the strange, almost absurd notion that Hyundai is some sort 'premium' car-maker. So, even for the city and for considerations of 'social status/recognition': i'd still say Punto Evo. Just consider the way it looks, inside and out! ;-)
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The new evo 75 HP has now been tuned better for city driving. The first two gears have been tweaked for better city driving. ECU must have been tweaked for better low end torque delivery. And all of it with gains in mileage. The new Ciaz with 90 HP is now the most fuel efficient engine in India with 26.3 kmpl. Its close to Punto's weight but drives better in city. Buddy let's accept Maruti has been better @using the MJD. Fiat being the manufacture needs to do better.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That's no wonder of returning 26.3 even punto and Linea's gives us.MJD delivers it.Unfortunately its known to only enthusiasts only.Purely depends upon driving style.Maruthi read the Indian people about how "Power" is known in India.
    prabhjot likes this.