1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo or Elite i20?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by PersianPrince, Aug 25, 2014.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    The pricing plays very important role and Punto Evo looks value for money infront of Elite i20. New i20 Has good suspension setup and ride handling is better than previous generation i20.

If service center (After sales Service) is not a problem then go ahead with Evo and if pricing is not a problem then go ahead with i20.
  2. hocuspocus

hocuspocus Novizio

Gurgaon, Haryana
    My two cents.

I've had cars from the Hyundai stable, Santro for 3+ years and now Hyundai Xcent for past two months. I'm a driver who has traveled from Keylong to Gwalior to Udaipur. My point is I'm a driving enthusiast. Driving Hyundai cars is a rattling experience especially beyond 80 kmph.

The cars I've taken to these destinations is either Indica or Linea but never a Hyundai. Although, I've not taken a test drive of I20 elite yet, but generally speaking Hyundai cars are feather lite doesn't matter which segment it belongs to.

On the other hand, I wasn't too sure about a Fiat when I first bought one. But it has grown on me as a passenger and driver both.

One small point to make is: As Fiat is offered in European markets, small ideas/features are taken care of which are easily missed by other manufacturers. For e.g plate covering under the engine bay for safety. configurable options in the menu and host of small features not listed in the manual :)

The best decision would be to take a test drive for both cars and make up your mind based on what suits your requirements. Happy hunting !!

Mod Note: Kindly avoid typing like this..... Please refer to the TFI Rules here - http://teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/ Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  3. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Ahmedabad
    Linea 1.3
    All we can show you the pros and cons of an thing based on our experiences and knowledge but the real answer lies within you. Its that what your heart wants that is the only perfect thing.
    Like it is said when you two options, toss a coin and by the time it comes down you already know the answer as your heart will say only one option to fall for you.

So based on all our suggestions what do you thought PersianPrince.

Note : It may be not be good if you choose the less suitable option, but thinking between the two is the worst phase.

Regards
    Himanshu
  4. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @PersianPrince : I would not like to dwell into the mind v/s heart thing but then having had a Punto in our family since close to 5 years and also having influenced 18 people in my friend circle in buying a FIAT, let me tell you that a short test drive of the Punto within the city limits would definitely not impress you. The steering feels hard, turning radius too high, engine feels lethargic, Too much turbo lag so on and so forth. 10 among the 18 referred to above got themselves the Punto after having done trips with me which involved extensive driving through some of the very worst roads my state possesses. Highways is where the Punto really shines and is in it's elements. The heavy steering offers confidence and a sense of being in control and the same lethargic engine feels up to the task. My view is if your usage involves frequent city driving with occasional highway ones then Elite i20 makes sense and yes of-course the Elite i20 shines again if you prefers too many gadgets in your car.Beware that with the i20 you're not only paying more to buy one but also to maintain it. If driving dynamics does matter to you then look no further than the Punto unless and until you decide to buy the Linea i.e., ;)
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    You are a real FIAT fan.

Btw, I have a Hyundai in the family, it is light to drive and the car(Santro) is now very old (12 years) & too expensive to maintain compared to a similar aged maruti (WagonR, 10 years old).
    Comparing the drive of Hyundai and FIAT, Hyundai is light (I have driven i10 from the family, and a colleague's Verna) they don't instill confidence in high speed driving or cornering. Neither the feel of the safety when inside the car.

My two cents.!
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    With the new Elite having improved on most of its weaknesses like steering feel, suspension set up and acc its going to be tough choice now. Most sites have been pretty positive about the changes made to the Elite. Though the driving dynamics and steering feel is still behind Punto but it makes up with a stonker of an engine and the slick 6 Speed gearbox. The changes have made it more drivable. It isn't dead in the 1k - 1.5 k rpms like the Mjd. I don't think the 75 HP mjd can compete at all. For the 90 HP mjd its only the ghats ,corners and high speed driving above 140 km where it will better the Elite. For 90% of other driving scenarios Elite is going to have beat Punto by a fair margin. Its a tough call now. Buy the Punto only if you connect with the car else Elite is better in every respect.
  7. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Are you talking about the Diesel i20? cause I drove the petrol asta and it no way felt any snappier than my Palio 1.6 (which is very lethargic till 2k RPM). Infact I had to get that to rev to get some movement.

again I don't know if steering is different in a diesel coz it was a completely dead steering wheel in the asta and similar to my dad's i20. Again suspension is setup for the city, I drove the i20 on the same roads I drive my palio & yes while I just couldn't makeout a signle bump in the i20 which I feel in the palio hence the suspension is nice & soft - not much of a help when on the highway.
  8. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yup I meant the diesel Elite. Petrol versions of Punto and Elite are both not that great. Are you talking about the new Asta version or the older one. I am aware of the steering and handling issues of the older one. I haven't driven the new one and just mentioning what I read about. Most of them say that these areas have improved but still no match to Punto. But the gearbox and engine combo makes up for the steering and handling shorttcomings. Seems the diesel drivability has improved significantly. Even the older i20 was more tractable than the 90 HP mjd. With further improvements in the new one will make it still better than the 90 HP mjd as there has been no change on the engine front for the Evo Sports.
  9. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    My two cents would be to have a test drive, compare the features and the price and arrive at a decision based on your requirements. Everybody has their own viewpoints on what is good or not. Have you thought about the Polo in the diesel segment. The engine of the Polo is by far the most powerful currently excluding the sport versions of course.
  10. shreyasK

shreyasK Timido

pune
    To me you have already made the decision in your heart to go for punto.
    All you are finding out here some points to say your so called PRACTICAL friends and relatives who says to go for other car(i20, swift, etc) but not for Fiat.
    The same situation I was into in Jan-Feb2014. Not even single person in my friend circle support me to buy Punto. Forget any support, they were very surprised or I say shocked with my decision of buying Punto when there is already better car(as per them) in the market.

In Jan14 one of my very close friend bought i20sportz and in Mar14 I finally made up mind and bought GP 90hp. Thank god I made the right choice as I am very happy. The car is so planted and stable that I did'nt realize some times that I am doing 140+ on mumbai-pune express way until I see the speedmetr.

On the famous FASS, I got a very good service from fiat so no Issues with FASS too. Also Fiat is expanding their dealership/service center so things looks good in regards to FASS.

If you like driving go for Punto.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    prabhjot and Murphy_Fiat like this.