1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo or Elite i20?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by PersianPrince, Aug 25, 2014.

1. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I've test driven the i20 ellite. yes the car looks nice & is now with a little better sheet metal which didn't bend easily as the older version(dad has) ; though this could be due to lost of bends in the car. there's a lot to be liked in that car, but the most important part of the driving experience is a complete dud - the steering!!! it feels like driving a Car video game steering like ones you have in the malls. The suspension too is very soft - great for city potholes, not so much at highspeeds.

And beware - the i20 you test drove was probably the Asta! and if you check the spec sheet, the lower models have almost nothing to offer except a bare-bones car. And interestingly they don't keep lower models for display & would not hand over the detailed spec sheet to me!
    sandipan_r15 likes this.
  2. ★RID3R★

★RID3R★ Timido

My Punto is 10 months young. Last year, I TD'ed 10 cars; hatches and sedan both.

Only car I found which can stand next to Punto is VW Polo. I had issues with space and engine noise plus VW is expensive to maintain, so I left Polo. (and yea, Figo was good in handling but I never liked its looks)...I am happy with Punto. I do have Active version as well. What I like is:

Ride Quality
    Good Shockers
    Good Ground Clearance
    Better boot space
    and a Jet Cockpit like feeling :)

i20 got luxurious cabin but poor handling and bad suspension. Don't forget you will have to spend more to maintain i20. Not being biased i20 is good but not best. When it comes to Resale value, only Maruti's are good in resale.

Good luck Dear, Choose what your heart says...At last what you buy is the best car ;)

Cheers !!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  3. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Assuming you are looking for a diesel, the MJD and U2 Crdi are highly refined, better than any other in India. It is difficult to tell whether the i20 is a diesel or petrol, such is the refinement.

Hyundai seems to have improved upon its two downers a. ride quality at higher speeds with stiffer suspension b. weak AC. The clutch operates butter smoothly in both.The steering although light is better in Crdi than the Kappa due to higher weight and its not jerky. Oh, I hope they have sorted out the steering column rattle which is quite irritating. Read somewhere that the i20 does not come with all four disc brakes and six air bags any more.
    the ride and handling would still be no match to the Grande, I mean Evo. the way the Punto feels composed in ghats or highways at triple digit speeds is phenomenal. I wish the Evo had a sixth gear for relax cruising, the sixth in i20 is just lifeless. Having driven both cars (old i20) quite a lot, I would recommend the Evo, if you have a service station near by.
    Do take extensive test drives before you choose, keeping in mind where the car is going to be driven most of the time and if you select the Evo then is there a better colour than the HHB :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
    zenwalker likes this.
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Dont we all agree that what ever the surface is, our Punto rides best. Cant speak of the boat as i have driven first gen on highway only so far. Not as lifeful as Punto is ;)
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    What the Elite i20 would offer over the Punto is reliability and better customer support. Personally, I would call the Punto an unreliable and troublesome car with no customer support whatsoever from the manufacturer. If I had to make a choice today, I would happily go with the elite i20 over the Punto.
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    With no intention to argue or downplay your experience, I would not buy the statement of calling punto an unreliable car with no support from company. The situation is better at most places if not all than what you have portrayed. Your statement sort of misguides the readers without giving the complete picture

It is a mistake on Fiat's part on what is happening at your location (Assam) by not appointing a dealership. I empathise with your situation and your post seems to have been made in frustration than anything else.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    If you read my post carefully, I had posted a personal opinion and my opinion was based on the experience of owning a Punto for 3+ years. I agree what owners from Assam are going through cannot be applied to other owners from across the country. But that also implies that Fiat metes out preferential treatment towards its customers on the basis of location. I presume manufacturers like Hyundai and Maruti do a lot better that Fiat on this criteria. Again my opinion is based on personal experience and I don't wish to generalise things. I am sure a forum such as this allows one the opportunity to voice an honest personal opinion.

P.S: This post may be deleted if it distracts from the topic of the thread.
  8. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @Rituraj : would request you to search for i20 horror stories and you will find tons of them. And yes! in metros too. Hyundai Customer support better? Really? Do you also know that Hyundai cars are one of the most expensive to maintain in the market ? For e.g. Timing chain replacement on the i20 CRDi sets you back by 38,000 (parts + labour). How much does it cost on the Punto? 10,000 max (parts +labour)

Secondly : in a "What Car" thread we assume that the thread starter has done a basic level of homework / analysis and then has short listed the cars.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion about Punto being unreliable since you have owned one. But on the same lines your logic about the i20 Elite is completely flawed because you have never owned one and still call it reliable !! Now if you are calling the i20 reliable based on experiences posted by others then the Punto suddenly becomes reliable because there are many Punto's (owned by others) that are running absolutely trouble free (including mine for 5 years!)

I am in no way defending FIAT here : but what I see become increasingly common these days is generalising one bad experience and using that to hammer the reputation of a brand on social platforms / forums. And that is something that needs to be stopped.
  9. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Linea 1.3
    @amogh: well said bro, this bit logical what you are sharing. Whatever is the brand one has, we can not share its pros or cons unless we have used it. But at the same time everybody has right to share their opinion of the product they have.

Another point to observe is most of people here loves Fiat and they are very much satisfied with it. This question must have asked in general forum not of Fiat specific.

I love Fiat and have visited every brand before buying Fiat. The reason is Fiat is giving safety, looks and handling altogether in one package, which the others are lacking.

I have checked i10 grand, it is very much responsive but doesn't feel safe on highway. I agree it handles very well but.... don't know much about this new i20 but hyundai remains hyundai. Good at cosmetics bad at safety.

Disclaimer: I am new owner of Fiat but very much satisfied with my white lady. The tyres itself gives the feel of Audi and body of tanker. apologies for bad writing skills.
    jackharrisw, prabhjot and zenwalker like this.
  10. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Let's bring back this thread on course. I personally wish to read more here about experience one had in driving, features and looks. Of course there are bitter experiences w.r.t support be it of any brand.
    We have seen even one or 2 lambo owners criticizing the vendor. So let's stop debating on service stuffs.
    Murphy_Fiat likes this.