1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo or Elite i20?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by PersianPrince, Aug 25, 2014.

1. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Yesterday i got a chance to see the elite i20 near my office premises. Looks wise its not the head turner like our fiats. I felt previous version i20 looks good(only looks iam not test driven both becuase i dont feel like sitting in it.).
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Yesterday accompanied a friend to take a look at Elite i20.

Interior quality has improved from the previous i20 and rides a lot better too. No bottom scraping as much as the previous one with 4 people onboard. Improvements in NVH and suspension behaviour as well. I believe it has the best NVH in all of the diesel hatchbacks that I have driven. Steering is better than previous but still acts weird. Liked the gear lever and the sure slotting with just a gentle push.

Conclusion - Friend had ruled out i20 from the list and has to choose from Punto Evo 90HP or Polo 1.5 Tdi.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Test driven Punto Evo, Polo & Elite i20… Here is my quick take on these cars.

Polo 1.5TDI

1. Powerful 1.5L engine. Linear power delivery.
    2. Looks.
    3. Solid built.
    4. Slick gearbox.
    5. Interior fit & finish is the best in class.
    6. 2 Din audio system.

1. Steering is light & not up to the mark. Steering wheel looks the best in class.
    2. Not happy with the breaking.
    3. Rear legroom is poor.

TD Dealer - Sundaram Motors, Anna Salai
    TD Experience - Very knowledgable & friendly sales executive. Overall experience was good.

i20 Elite 1.2L Petrol

1. Unlike many here, I liked the looks.
    2. Feature packed. Keyless entry, Electronically foldable mirrors.
    3. Good cabin space.
    4. 2 Din audio system
    5. Refined engine. Low end power is better than the previous i20.
    6. Improved suspension.
    7. Neatly built interiors. Feels premium. Good plastic quality except the power windows switches.

1. LIFELESS STEERING!! What a waste it is! I would not suggest anyone to buy this car only for this reason.
    2. Price

TD Dealer - Express Hyundai, Vadapalani.
    TD Experience - Diesel wasn't available for TD. But the sales executive who was a lady made sure I drive a petrol one. Most aggressive out of the 3 dealers. She even requested me twice to book the car. And also Hyundai has booklets that compares their car with Polo, Eco sport & Swift. Punto is not even considered.

Punto Evo 1.3 MJD

1. Stunning looks!
    2. Excellent ride & handling. Steering feedback is the best in class.
    3. Beautiful interiors.
    4. High GC which is not preferred by everyone, but still good for our road condition.
    5. Great suspension & braking.
    6. Strong mid range power.
    7. Best in class built quality.

1. Turbo lag is evident. Though tuning is better than Grande Punto.
    2. Gear ratios, though better than GP, needs to be improved.

TD Dealer - RDC Fiat, Nandanam
    TD Experience - Lazy is the word I can use for the sales executives there. The person who came with me isn't friendly too. He opened his mouth only when I asked him questions.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    This seems to be the problem with all sales executives in Fiat. Since they sell the diesel engine for so many cars, I am not even sure if they are worried about actual car sales.
    kailasmenon2000 likes this.
  5. King CM

King CM Amatore

Fiat might be Selling Diesel Engines. But as a Dealer, they are supposed to make money by selling the product(that too not a bad product) :). If I have opened a shop to do business, I should be doing everything to make that happen. Not the other way.

- CM
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    Actually true. I really do not understand why if you have consciously decided to set up a FIAT dealership why drive your customer's away?
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Guys, for delaers and their staff it works like this, or so I figure. More sales-->better wages/commissions-->better motivation/service quality/less turnover and better quality of staff--> more sales ....

Similar virtuous cycles operate in ASS too (economies of scale in ASS labour quality, motivation, stability, and spares inventory)

Fiat dealerships show all the signs of lacking the above economies of scale. Hopefully, all else being equal, they'll improve once Fiat sales via the Evo and Avventura increase a lot.
  8. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    I am a critic of Fiat due to its poor service and approach towards customers, having owned a Linea for over 4 years now. Having said that I will say that Fiat cars drive the best in their segments and are the ideal choice if you are a driving enthusiast. At the same time, I saw that you are in Kangra and I am not sure whether you will be able to get the kind of support that you may need when it comes to servicing and repairs. I am located in the NCR region and have tried quite a few of the workshops in Delhi as well as in Gurgaon and Noida. I am sorry to say that their level of service is poor even in such an important place on the map.

Just recently I had an issue for which I went thrice to the workshop and only after being in touch with the GM was able to get the issue sorted out. This is after I went to the workshop the first time with all my research done and solutions given to the supervisor. It is like that all the time - I have lost count of the numerous visits and endless follow ups but I then am quite aggressive and manage to get things done eventually to my satisfaction - not sure whether everyone can manage to do so.

It is both sad and ironic but you will get the best help when you write to Fiat directly but it's just that you may have to it every time you have an issue. I haven't been able to decide whether it is a good thing or a bad thing because for Marutis and Hyundais I have never had to write to the company's headquarters for any issue.

So I think it boils down to whether peace of mind is important or the excitement while driving your car. If you don't mind roughing it out, having a fights and arguments at workshops, waiting for issues to be sorted out and also waiting for Fiat's "rare" parts to arrive all the following up on your mobile, go ahead blindly for the Punto. It drives really well and is made of solid metal(literally) and is much safer and stable than other cars. It will be a pleasure driving a Fiat in a hilly region like Kangra.

If you are even a bit uncomfortable with the things that I have described above, go for the i20 which may not be so great to drive as a Fiat but I believe has assured good service across India(I have owned a Hyundai). My only disclaimer is that I don't know about Fiat workshops in HP maybe they are the best in the country - although it seems unlikely going by my experience with Fiat in the National Capital Region of India.

Last but not the least you will also get a good price for a used Hyundai whereas used Fiats sell for peanuts (most owners do not sell it for that reason because it feels like giving it away for free, and it is better to keep it forever).
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Well I do not disagree with what you say about FASS in North India in general and Delhi NCR, except say 50%!

I've owned a Fiat for the last five years, my Dad has too, and we have another relatively recently acquired Punto too. And: I've recently got me a new linea T-jet.

I figure the whole poor ASS thing is if not a bogey then certainly rather exaggerated. Maybe it has to do with the much higher expectations that Fiat owners have, and their greater knowledge/awareness/vocal levels, maybe it has to do with, as you confess, "north Indian" "aggression".

But we were OK with the Tata days, and have been glad to see the big improvement at least here in Gurgaon since Fiat went solo, esp with spares availibility and quality. Still nowhere near perfect but well on the way to being pretty decent, i.e., not a deal-breaker.

It is true that owning a Fiat requires a little more care and diligence because one still cannot have blind trust in the ASS.

BUT: this has its advantages too. Most ASS centres are not over-crowded, one can easily get to supervise servicing/repair work, get to know the technicians and GM, etc, build a 'relationship' of sorts. And Fiat India has been for us, very responsive. Also, Fiat's warranties are excellent, in practise and not in theory, which makes them different to a Suzuki, Honda, VW or Hyundai. Charges are very reasonable for labour and spares, when compared to the jap and Korean marque's cars.

Yes, FASS in Delhi NCR and North India in general needs close supervision and good knowledge on the part of the owner, but my dad and I have gotten along well enough over the last 5-6 years, over five Fiats.

The cars themselves are tough and reliable. Small issues, "niggles" as they call them can and do crop up (a door-lock mechanism needing replacement, a loose glove box cover etc), so if one is finicky or manic about perfection a Fiat can be irritating. But the basics (paint, sheet metal, suspension, electricals, electronics, brakes, alloys, build quality etc) are truly awesome in quality, durability and reliability.

But on the whole I don't at all agree that the average or median quality of ASS in Delhi NCR at least is SO under-par as to be a deal-breaker. It's been about par for us, over 5 different ASS workshops, over five-six years.

Maybe i am/my 70-year old khadoos dad is over-indulgent?! ;-)

So, the Kangra, HP dealer bears some research and scrutiny, and then go for it, i'd say! Driving Fiats in Himachal will be a joy, that is certain.
  10. srinivaschandalada

srinivaschandalada Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Hyundai has the worst suspensions, the suspension doesn't exist at all, my brother has the Elantra and the ride was OK in Hyderabad but once the car came to our town in coastal Andhra it was a nightmare, we had to replace the entire suspension and the tyres after 18000 kms which wasn't cheap. My cousin recently decided to change his Skoda and wanted to buy a Linea, but to our disappointment the state of Andhra was divided and all the fiat dealers are in the state of Telengana. I shall discuss this issue in a fresh thread, He without consulting anyone bought a Verna, and wants to sell the car after two months of ownership, mainly due to its non existent suspension and lack of confidence in the steering, and his aged grand mom and mom refuse to sit in the car. My brother ended up selling his year old Elantra and bought a Audi A6, my cousin has sold his two month old Verna , and is waiting for fiat to open a dealership in the new state of Andhra Pradesh, god knows how much more we will have to wait, and he is getting pretty restless.

chows audi,12-11-2012.jpg

rajus new verna pooja at annavaram,23-7-2014 (4).jpg

Mod Note: It would be of immense help to readers if the spell check, punctuation and capitalizing sentences are done while posting. Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    prabhjot, Raj_pol and Murphy_Fiat like this.