1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo Emotion MJD or VW Polo TDI Comfortline? - Booked EVO 90 HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Sapam, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Dhruv_Sappers

Dhruv_Sappers Amatore

Pune
    Hi,
    The EVO is better than the Polo. Also you can make out a noticeable in the engine noise. EVO is quieter. The back seats are far more comfortable. Also the ownership cost makes a huge difference.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Sapam
    I was in the same confusion a couple of months back and finally ended up going with the Punto. Here is my two cents and I will try to be non-biased.

1. Resale - If you are worried about the same, the only solution is the MS Swift. However, I would not recommend a car that scores a zero in a safety test

2. Outright engine power - Let us be honest. The Polo is faster an more powerful. Having said that in India anything above a 120 is not safe even in highways. Till that range or say till a 140, you would not feel much of a difference

3. Gear - Yes, the Punto's gear is not the best and took some time getting used to. The polo is going to be easier. However once you get used to it, nothing like it and the feedback is insane(my first car though and I am not an expert)

4. Looks - Now this is what drew me and my wife to the car. I find the looks of the Punto outstanding and the Polo is no comparison.

5. Maintenance - The Punto is way cheaper to maintain. VW cars are expensive to maintain. Also the alloys and some other features which the comfortline VW will not have.

6. Safety - Emotion has dual airbags, abs and the works. Both are 5 star rated cars as far as safety is concerned

7. Support - In Bangalore no worries to either purchase.

Finally, do not read too much into comparisons. Your money, your car. Take a test ride and buy the one that the heart says yes to.

(p.s. I always feel we Indians think too much. Kabhi to dil se hona chahiye :D)
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Here's a beautiful, apt Urdu word: dil-o-dimaag. The Evo (or Avventura or Linea) is a 'dil-o-dimaag' choice. As coldly rational/logical as it is passionately desirable.

Fiats are unique in this respect in India, imo.

Even the German-luxury-car buyers are really buying mainly out of calculating dimaag: in their case, status-seeking/displaying.

The cost of a Tata or Maruti (pretty much), and yet the seductive, truthful EVOcation of the style and substance of a pure, storied Italian marque like Alfa Romeo, Maserati or Ferrari. That's a Fiat. As authentic as a mass-market car can be.

(do forgive the waxing-lyrical! ;-))

PS: the ASS is more than ok by now, too!!
  4. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    The more I TD the Punto Evo, the more connected the car felt.

My craze for Polo is slowly slipping out of the Door. Fiat is slowly taking over my Heart-n-Mind.

Until now I was so much a VW enthusiast that Couple of years back I convinced my Father to get the Vento Highline Automatic. Last month when I visited home and drove the car, I could feel the Suspension was not that refined as what I was expecting it to be. There was some roughness and thud negotiating the potholes. Something I was never expecting from VW.

I'll surely update what decision my heart takes by the weekend.
    Tornado and punto_emotion like this.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you listen to your heart, you would always hear it beating Fiat Fiat Fiat Fiat... :p

Good luck buddy for your decision making.
    VIJENDRA SINGH likes this.
  6. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I'll be going for the booking today. I have one last choice to make. Emotion or 90hp.

Emotion is 45k cheaper.
    Dual tone interior.

90ps got all black interior.
    16inch rubber. (Felt like the ground clearance is more).
    More torque available when needed.

Personally I like the all black. Looks to be more superior. Haven't checked how it feels from the rear seat. Does the black interior gives cluster phobic feel. Does it affect to AC effectiveness.

Wife not in town to check the car. If she were here I'll have to go for Active. That's my Cash limit. But I am thinking of getting in a car loan for about 2-2.5 lacs to get either Emotion or 90hp. I have a tons of explanation to make when she is back. Suggestions on how to convince home minister will be highly appreciated ;).

I will be going for Glitterati Gold as I kind of like the color and will be easy to spot in Parking lot . And if I go for the 90hp the contrast with the black interior looks good. The reason I am also going for Gold is that, of all the colors I liked they don't have gold at the moment in stock. It will take about 20 days. And it kind of helped me as all my financial settlements are happening in about 10-15 days due to some delays. In short I want to buy a little time.

Please throw in any advice or suggestion, before I put my money in .

Thanks.
    prabhjot and ramjn like this.
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Choosing between 75 and 90 should depend in your budget.
    As you already know, main difference in interior, beige vs all black. Beige will give little spacious feeling while all black have sporty feeling. Mostly I prefer all black interior.
    Engine wise even 75hp has more than sufficient power, buy 90hp will give you some extra when you need on highway, speed 130+.
    prabhjot, ramjn and Sapam like this.
  8. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    One benefit I see with all black interior over the beige is that, all black might be easier to maintain over beige. Stains might be easily visible in beige. Correct me here if am wrong.

Between Emotion 75hp and 90hp the difference in EMI is about Rs.800 per month.

I kind of know what my Heart wants. Just need to convince my Mind, as this is one long relationship I'll be taking on.

During my TD on both the 75 and 90 hp. For some reason I find the 90hp more effortless in city and highway, which is contrary to what I have been hearing. Could be my style of driving. What I noticed was the idle torque on 90hp was comfortably more than the 75hp. I did both the TDs in city and Highway. On highway the 90hp was happily cruising at round 100-120, with lots of steam left if needed.

Please suggest.

Thanks
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 29, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 29, 2014 ---
    On my way to fiat showroom. Mind is not yet decided on 75hp or 90hp.

Hoping I make the right choice there.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If your mind is set on 90hp go for it. It always baffles me when TFIans say 75bhp is peppier in city. Actually technically, the VGT TURBO in 90BHP vs the FGT in 75bhp is supposed to offer better or rather more accurate Boost Control for lower rpm range, therefore also translating in slightly better torque in that range. Here is some interesting history/info along the way. VNT/VGT was first implemented in the FIAT CHROMA model sometime in the early 90s. It has undergone lots of improvements (iterations) along the way. And further there are some more mechanical (material) advancements I was told to the 90bhp engine which is also offered on the Linea to make it further more stress capable.

It is quite possible that Fiat might have made some better tuning or changes to the newer EVO or AVVY powertrains thereby making them better over the earlier versions. Since the specs are the same as earlier, one can see why they cannot market these changes. Going from reports I think the 90hp has been specifically tuned for better city drivability.

Best of Luck..!
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Sapam I guess you have already answered your question and looking forward to the second gold colored Evo in the forum. :D
    As an aside, I had my first servicing done by KHT Fiat and the service cost was Rs 250 :p.

I am willing to wager a bet that even the MS Alto will have a bigger service bill.
    pabhishek, prabhjot and Sapam like this.