1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo Emotion MJD or VW Polo TDI Comfortline? - Booked EVO 90 HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Sapam, Nov 25, 2014.

1. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

bangalore
    Personally I felt Polo can't seat 3 at the rear , i felt very uncomfortable sitting in the middle in a polo.
    Where are in punto we did lots of long drives with 3 at rear seat without any discomfort
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    1. Safety ( Driver and Passengers ) - Both almost equal
    2. Ride and Handling ( any speed, City / Highway ) - Punto
    3. Decent Fuel Economy - ALmsot equal
    4. Good Build Quality ( Body/Chassis and a bit of Interior ) - Punto for exterior & interior on Evo's are equal to Polo
    5. Good Warranty Coverage - Punto
    6. Lower Ownership Cost ( Maintenance/Parts/etc ) - Definitely Punto
    7. Reliable Car ( lower probability of breakdown/repair ) - Equal
    8. Good Service Support - Punto definitely
    9. Performance- Polo
    10. EMotional connect - Punto only :)
  3. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I'll be doing a TD of the Punto Evo 90hp tomorrow. On photos (haven't yet seen one on real), the all black Interior looks cool.

A small question here. The 90hp got 16inch Rubber. So, does that translate to more Ground Clearance?
    75hp - 195/60 R15
    90hp - 195/55 R16

So, according to the tyre definition the tyres on the R15 has got 5% more Taller SideWall.

So doing the math the diameter of tyres are:
    (75hp) - 195/60 R15 = 2x( 60% of 195 )mm+( 15 inch in MM ) = 2 x 117 + 381 = 615mm ( 24.2 inch )
    (90hp) - 195/55 R16 = 2x( 55% of 195 )mm+( 16 inch in MM ) = 2 x 107.25 + 406.4 = 620.9mm ( 24.45 inch )

Looking at the number the R16 has net 5.9mm wider than the R15. So, it should give a 2.95mm more Ground Clearance.
    Or is the suspension setup to compensate for the difference and makes both R15 and R16 gives the same 185mm ground Clearance.

By the numbers it looks like the R16 is a lower profile tyres, so its going to be a more responsive tyre than the R15 at corners and handling.

Please, correct me on my numbers if there is any.

Regards,
    Sapam
    limraj and prabhjot like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    There is no change in suspension setup between 75 and 90 hp. The 90hp model will slightly have higher ground clearance.

When you do TD of Evo 90 hp include TD of Avventura as well. You may be impressed with it and may rule out Polo. :D
    prabhjot and Sapam like this.
  5. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    To be honest, I have been eyeing the Polo since couple of years when my Alto was coming of age. And I never bothered even checking out for Fiat Punto or Fiat Family cars. It was all VW Polo this, VW Polo that, etc etc. The main reason being all the near and dear ones never spoke good of Fiat.

Common complains I have been hearing from friends and relatives.
    1) Bad/Poor FASS
    2) Very Low Resale Value
    3) Very difficult to Maintain.
    4) Buy anything but not Fiat PERIOD.

Well, until I came to Bangalore earlier this month, I never personally know anyone who owns a Fiat. But may be by sheer luck, the very day I joined the new office, I got to know few people who owns Fiat Cars and some of them took me to take a TD on their Car ( Grand Punto ), not only Fiat I also have another friend who gave me his Polo for TD. So. I had good benchmark for both the brands.

Experiencing both the Cars, my interest for Fiat got stronger. And finally came across the Team-Fiat Forum. Another best thing to happen. Started my research on the Fiat more seriously.

So, if I look into the Complains I have been getting above, here are my answers so far.
    1) Bad/Poor FASS
    - Well, its not just Fiat, others have similar issues. Knowing your car better, understanding and learning more about it will definitely assist in getting the right maintenance required.
    2) Very Low Resale Value
    - Am planning to use the car for more than 6 years, and I guess there should be no worry about the resale value after using it for that long. Maybe I'll never part with it.
    3) Very difficult to Maintain.
    - Well compared to VW, I guess its lighter on the Pocket.
    4) Buy anything but not Fiat PERIOD.
    - That need to be proven after I buy the Car ;)

I am really impressed about the enthusiasm and corporation the TeamFiat Members have for each other and other community. And am not wrong in any way saying "TeamFiat ROCKS :)"

Will very soon update my status on what I have finally decided and taken the next step (booking).

Thanks,
    Sapam
    limraj, khurshid, prabhjot and 5 others like this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, 99% of the people who talk negative about Fiat will not be owning one. I don't understand how they arrived at these conclusions. :)

My answer for these complaints would be,
    1) Not really. Customer service is a concern everywhere in India. Not limited to a brand. Still, I felt my service experience with Fiat better than Hyundai (I owned a Hyundai car for 4 years).
    2) Yes. Because of low sales volume and bad perception on Fiat. Still, I plan to keep the car for longer and I would consider the loss in Resale (if at all) as the premium paid for the safety provided by the car.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  7. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Had my TD for the 90hp. Was really excited and loved the torque it had even at the idle rpm. B2B traffic was possible at any gear without touching the accelerator. Only Clutch (while changing gears)and Brake. It was rolling even at 5th Gear. Highway driving was a breeze and felt the engine not stressed out or loose steam at any speed (am talking safe speed).

Would like to hear more from people having 90hp and 75hp on B2B traffic experience.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Both are very much doable & able performers. Be it b2b traffic or highways. You might feel 75hp slightly peppier in b2b traffic if driven back to back. While on highway with 90hp (as you felt rightly); there is always steam / grunt left in the engine at higher speeds. Hence its ideal to decide based on your usage (city-highway ratio) and budget
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Sapam Will you also be looking at the Avventura mjd, budget permitting? The state of tune on that (90 hp) is an (even) better trade-off between congested city and more open roads, i guess.

But ya, too many folks who fail to drive the 90 hp (or the 75 hp for that matter) like it should complain wrongly about its power deficit. e.g., as I just posted in the Avventura thread: the Avventura is neck-and-neck with the Ecosport (similar weight) till 40 kph, only 0.5 secs slower till 60 kph BUT 2 secs faster from 20 to 80 and an amazing 4 secs faster in-gear from 40 to 100! :) (Autocar print edition comparison test)
    Tornado and Naughty like this.
  10. bibin

bibin Regolare

kochi

there are some forums or some people who take much interest/lead/ruthless approach in bashing fiat .....don't know why?

for example when fiat reported more than 88% increase in revenue compared to last year some forums (everybody knows the forum which i am talking about) are just unable to digest and have became another fiat bashing thread.