1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo Emotion MJD or VW Polo TDI Comfortline? - Booked EVO 90 HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Sapam, Nov 25, 2014.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @magnan

You don't sound like you've driven tractors....or a Honda Amaze/City diesel, either. The Punto mjd is the among the most refined and amongst the best at 'smooth running' (whatever that means) in its class, as is the Linea mjd. So, am not sure what the problem, if any, there is with your car. You should get it checked out at FASS. Although, you might be hitting those speeds in the wrong gear/too-high rpm, which is why you feel it 'roars': any diesel will, more so small-displacement sones. The mjd, like all diesels, should be kept in the right rev-range, and revving it high say in third or fourth gear at these speeds is ill-advised: it will produce shor but less zor.

cheers
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Those having excessive coarse engine sound issues should get thorough engine checkup and should always ensure (inspect) that engine oil is changed properly. I have seen mechanics pouring less oil or just topping up oil or not changing oil at all. :eek:

These practices can happen anywhere and everywhere, so care must be taken. Also please try to change engine oils at regular intervals the earlier the better. Selenia WR 5W40 (though slightly overpriced) is great oil for MJD but make sure you change it at 7.5-10k kms. It is Semi-Synthetic after-all. The same oil could work longer I guess in cold climate regions/conditions.
    prabhjot and Sailer_Punter like this.
  3. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    Yes indeed. After my 45K service, I was out on a 500KM one way drive and the car was literally roaring, scaring me on possible engine shutdown midway. Even tractor guys would have loved the noise in comparison. Checked and found out that oil was not changed during the service (I used to change it at 15K interval).

Changed the oil and in return journey, engine was purring instead of roar! Hence engine oil inspection is topping my to do list after service.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    I always change gears at around 1800-2000 rpm. At 90-100 km/h, my Punto remains in 2200 -2400 rpm.
    Is it OK?
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 12, 2015 ---
    I am using Mobile Delvac-1 5W40 since 11000 km (1st service) when first oil change was done and I get oil changed at every 8500-9000 kms and that all in my presence watching whole procedure every time. At garages, everything happens to my Punto under my eyes.
    My Punto is a unpredictable car. Once upon a time I started it after 3 days and just after 600 meters there was a steep incline which it climbed silently. After some 10-12 kms it became noisy.
    Many a times while pushing it further from 80-85 km/h (2000 rpm) I feel something running off the axis in the engine. What it could be?
    At 80000 kms should I go for changing Timing Chain (there is no indication of any unusual sound in the morning strtup)?
    I adore it much but curse even more.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Have you done 80000, and have yet to do the timing chain replacment?!:(:oops:
  6. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Yep. Also none of the belts changed so far.
    Living in a layman's city-Jaipur. People here just don't understand what Care means. FASS told me no need to change Timing Chain or any belt.
    Adarsh from Wolf Motto asked me about possibility of any other person interested in engine remap. I had to tell him that in entire Rajasthan, anybody will laugh on spending 25K for engine remap. I could not find any car with aftermarket HID Projector setup.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    As soon as you change the timing chain (which you must immediately); for a change do go for Selenia WR 5W40 and see if there is a difference. Make sure filter is changed too.
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. anilwithu

anilwithu Novizio

Chennai,Vijayawada,Hyderabad
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Hi .. we had vista quadrajet which ran 65k had similar issue .. car was not in run for quite some time .. one day when I start the car the grinding sound was coming .. immediately we push to car to service and changed the timing kit . it resolved the problem .. but in your case ... change the belts too ...
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    Approached FAAS next day. They checked car and told me that there is no need to change Timing Chain now. They will change it at next service. I got both the belts (Rs.3000 approx) changed although older ones are absolutely healthy so kept them for any emergency in future.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @magnan email FASC and ask them if by the next service (in worst case) if there is timing chain issue, will they cover the costs of rebuild of broken components and labour for engine repair. Remind them that they have suggested delaying till next service so it will be their responsibility. Verbal assurances and dialogue mean less to Fiat. The FASC will suggest that timing chain had no noise and Fiat will point to rule book or at best offer some discount, which will still mean you ending up paying dearly.

Not trying to be an alarmist, just stating the facts. Another tip always make sure your major issues are mentioned clearly on job card. That could include coarse engine note or accelerating issues. And also mention the same on feedback and remarks and keep a photo on mobiles. Helps if FASCs goof-up.
    prabhjot likes this.