1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto Evo Emotion MJD or VW Polo TDI Comfortline? - Booked EVO 90 HP

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Sapam, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hello Friends,

I recently joined Team-Fiat and this is my first post. I am thrilled with the amount of enthusiasm I see in this Forum.

I am planning to buy a Diesel Hatch and with all permutation and combination of the finances and cars option, I have short listed two cars. I can expect people to suggest to increase the budget a little more for better, but this is as far as I can manage as of now and this is after stretching from my initial budget.

1) Fiat Punto Evo Emotion 1.3 MJD
    2) VW Polo 1.5 TDI Comfortline

Both have about the same price range.

I have TD the Fiat Punto Evo Emotion 1.3 MJD. But not the VW Polo TDI 1.5. Though I have driven/TD'ed the VW Polo Petrol Highline and VW Vento Automatic Highline. So, regarding the ride, comfort and interior quality I have a bit of comparable experiences. I'll appreciate more information and suggestion on the same and more.

Below are the list of items I am looking out for in the car.
    1. Safety ( Driver and Passengers )
    2. Ride and Handling ( any speed, City / Highway )
    3. Decent Fuel Economy
    4. Good Build Quality ( Body/Chassis and a bit of Interior )
    5. Good Warranty Coverage
    6. Lower Ownership Cost ( Maintenance/Parts/etc )
    7. Reliable Car ( lower probability of breakdown/repair )
    8. Good Service Support
    I am currently in Bangalore.
    And am planning to buy it in about a month time around December 2014.
    Any tips on the offers to expect and that I should be asking for will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sapam
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I suggest you must read http://teamfiat.com/threads/polo-0r-punto.471/ thread once.

My take is Punto is better in most of the list you have mentioned.
    But on engine outright performance, Polo should be better. However, the maintenance cost of Punto will be much cheaper than Polo.

There is no service problem in Bangalore.
    Sapam and prabhjot like this.
  3. sandipan_r15

sandipan_r15 Superiore

HALDIA
    WEST BENGAL
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Point No. 6 -- Lower Ownership Cost ( Maintenance/Parts/etc ).
    Maint cost of VWs are much much higher than that of FIAT's.
    FIAT gives 100,000km/3 yrs normal & 1,50,000km/5 yrs warranty in extended format.
    Sapam and prabhjot like this.
  4. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Ravi, thanks for the link. Other than the new engine in the New Polo, I think all other comparison between the two still holds.
    @Sandipan your point is valid and Punto gets a point there.

One thing that concerns me a bit about Fiat is that, in this forum I have been seeing people reporting loss in power with the MJD. And definitely with no solution for some. Just want to know if Fiat has done anything to rectify that issue, and how grave is that issue if it happens for any reason?

Being on both of them I can definitely vouch that Fiat has more tuned suspension setup than VW ( VW is still better than other brands ). And without any doubt Polo has the best interior quality. But Punto's is not bad either, its just that it can't match to fit and finish of VW interiors. So, my question here is, how does the fit and finish, interior and exterior last for Punto? Does the Interior rattles after couple of years usage. Does the Bumpers Slags down after couple of years and maybe minor brushes here and there ( city traffic makes sure it happens :().

So far my heart says Fiat, it's just the brain is a bit confused between the two.

Will appreciate more recommendation and suggestion.

Regards,
    Sapam
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 25, 2014 ---
    Also, most of the time i'll be driving within the city. As of now the ratio of city to highway in terms of time will be about 6:1, it might change in future in favor of highway a bit, but not much.

So, the question here is will I be missing or regretting anything in future if I go for the 75HP instead of 90HP? I am planning to pamper the next car for the next 6+ years. Is 75HP good enough for City + Highway driving with Family?

I am a sedate driver normally but do love to push a bit once a while, well within the safe limits only and only if the situation is highly favorable. I love having the confidence that I can do this even though I never do it unless absolutely necessary. But again that is just a personal opinion.

Regards,
    Sapam
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    in your scenario 75 HP makes more sense which has good city drive ability than the 90 HP
    ground clearance of Evo is more than polo, which will be helpful for you in bangluru roads.
    Sapam likes this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no generic problem with this issue. Most of the time, it was found to be turbo hose pipe cut, or turbo got clogged. Both of these are common problem with all the cars. Sometime, even bad fuel creates confusion.

Interior touch and feel might not be great, but it lasts long. In EVO, even plastic quality is pretty nice compared to older versions. In initial batches there were niggles, but not much reported in newer versions.
    And don't worry about minor brushes, Punto is best in these things.

I will again request you to have a look at this thread - http://teamfiat.com/threads/punto-evo-diesel-75-or-90-hp.13218/.
    75HP is little better in turbo lag, but 90HP is better in higher speeds.
    For normal driver, like you and me, 75HP has sufficient power to enjoy in city and highway.
    Naughty and Sapam like this.
  7. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I totally agree with you on the Ground Clearance. During my Test Drive, I happen to go over a huge speed breaker and that extra 2cm made a lot of difference. It totally rode over without scrapping the underbelly.

As long as the interior and exterior holds long, I think that is a positive point.

I do though notice the Dead Pedal placement is a bit tight. It is close and it stays a bit lower/further deep than the Clutch pedal, so occasional brushing of the Dead Pedal, when using the Clutch is observed. And same goes the other way round, brushing the Clutch Pedal when foot is resting on the Dead Pedal. My shoe is about 7-8 size so I think adding about 1-2 cm thick rubber pad on the Dead Pedal will keep the foot from accidentally touching the Clutch Pedal when the left foot is resting on the Dead Pedal.

And the Rubbery Gear throw is what I noticed. But, that is not a deal breaker. Rather I find the clutch easy to operate even though the travel is long.

On Polo, the gear throw is bang on snappy. That is one of the best gearbox I have used so far. And the New Steering wheel looks and feel awesome to hold. Can't say much about the feedback on the Steering though. Punto scores in the Steering Feedback department.

The rear seat of Polo is a bit Cramp and it don't have 60:40 split ( earlier models have them ). Wonder why they have removed the option. And for some reason in the new Facelift Version VW has also removed the Instantaneous Fuel Consumption Reading.

Also, Fiat advertise that the Airbag is Dual Stage one. My queries here is aren't the Airbags used on VW Polo the same or different.

Regards,
    Sapam
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi.

I feel the Punto has the Polo beat on all parameters except the bottom-end torque, it's wide mid-range is amply potent. Given that most of your driving is in the city and you are a responsible driver, i don't see why the Polo's extra torque will matter, once you get used to keeping the mjd on the boil: even the much-criticised turbolag turns out from my experience to be almost a non-issue, a hasty judgment. But first and foremost the Punto is EVOcative in design and feel (to see and to drive, inside and out) while the Polo is more than a bit bland, anodyne. And ya, i feel the cost of ownership will be far far lower on the Punto.

The Punto mjd emotion is the heart-and-mind-both-say choice! :)
    Pankaj Dubey likes this.
  9. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    No doubt the Punto EVO is a head turner and scores over the Polo in the looks department. And after upgrading from Alto ( driving it for about 6 years ), I think any hp is more than I normally experience :).

Any advice on colors that will last long, and easy to maintain.
    Here are few of my favorite colors in the order of preference.
    • Glitterati Gold
    • Exotica Red
    • Magnesio Grey

Regards,
    Sapam
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    If you are a quiet reticent yet confident kind of guy: Glitterati Gold!

If you are a brash yet confident kind of guy: M Grey.

Just jesting! ;-)Who can say and argue over colours? Go with what is most beautiful to your eye.

Saw me my first Punto Evo at night a few days ago, from the rear, G Gold it was: beauteous, charismatic.
    asimpleson and rishike007 like this.