1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto evo diesel V/S New ford figo

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by shreeharsha, Sep 28, 2015.

1. shreeharsha

shreeharsha Timido

Fiat Enthusiast
    Hello experts I have been contemplating to buy a diesel hatchback budget 8 lacs, saftey, realiability fun to dive and low cost of maintenance being the prime considerations, I have zeroed in on Fiat Punto Evo and New Ford Figo, have ruled out Swift and Jazz (pricey).I am a newbie and yet to learn driving , will be buying my car in chennai , service availability looks to be good with Ford , but with Fiat cudnt get any inputs as I dont know any Fiat owners in Chennai.The Car I have shortlisted are Titanium in Ford and 90 Hp Punto Evo.Any more thoughts from your side.Would be grateful if any Fiatians in Chennai can contribute here.Help me to make a wise decision
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

@Shree Harsha

I just checked out the new Ford Figo yesterday however could not get to drive the car as there was no TD vehicle with the dealer. There are plus points in new Figo like solid build quality, good plush seats, better driving position, adequate GC etc but there are lot of negative things which made me realize that Punto is better in comparison like higher GC, rear door bottle holder, better looking HU, availability of Blue and Me, driver seat adjustable, better looking OVRM's etc.

I will update once I drive the new Fiog if it still has the genes of the Ford Fiesta and if a better handler and ride quality which is the USP of Ford vehicles
    punto_emotion likes this.
  3. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    @Shree Harsha,

Service availability is very good in Chennai and Bangalore for Fiats, So is the general acceptance and resale values compared to others states.
    Punto triumphs in Build Quality, Driving dynamics and Handling dept. The New Figo promises to close the gap with the Punto. You will need to drive both the cars, feel and decide how close the new Figo is to the Punto.
  4. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Outright, Figo wins with cleanly packaged interiors and exteriors. Also the facelift has that aggressive look.
    Hear n say is positive feedback.
    Punto EVO - you can see many threads from owners itself which can give more confidence for your buying decision.
    There may be some discounts in Punto but not in Figo.

Please take extensive TD of both cars in City Drive and Highway. Let the car's feedback sync in to your understanding keeping your priorities in mind. Then make a decision. OTR is almost I suppose.
  5. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    I tagged along with a friend this weekend, who is in search for a hatch back. We checked the Ford Figo and below is my observation,

The Good
    • Pricing very nice.
    • Face Looks very nice.
    • Engine noise has reduced to a large extent when compared to previous Figo.
    • City drive-ability is very good and the car potters around the traffic without much effort (did not get to check very high speeds).
    • Good noise insulation.
    • Ground clearance - 174mm.
    The Bad
    • The new Figo has lost its steering feel and good suspension from its predecessor.
    • The suspension feels stiffer and the potholes are being filtered in.
    • The rear bench is compromised. One can clearly see that seat has at least been cut by 30% when compared to the earlier Figo.
    • This smaller rear seat takes a beating in terms of under thigh support and feels cramped.
    • The compromise on the seats to make that leg room is pretty evident and I personally felt that the the body would take a toll on those long rides.
    • The front seats are pretty soft & thin, and when we squeezed the side bolstering we would feel the seat frame at the rear of the front seats.
    • 14 inch wheels on all trims (the export variant is getting 15 incher's).
    • Smaller boot.
    What could have been better
    • Plastics could have been better.
    • The build quality could have been better.
    • ABS should have been provided on the lower variants as well.
    • The ingress and egress at the rear may not be too comfortable for senior citizens.
    Iam not adding the details of the Punto here as we have abundant information on the car here already.

However you can consider these 2 points as well that may help you in your buying decision.
    • Service interval Punto - 15,000 km / 1 year, Figo - 10,000km / 1 year.
    • Standard warranty Punto 3 years / 1 lakh km, Figo 2 years / 1 lakh km

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    nikhil0405 and Turbothinghy like this.
  6. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @shreeharsha : Bro, Ford and Fiat have a lot in common as far as driving satisfaction is concerned. I drive a 90 HP Evo that I bought 6 months back and I am totally happy with the car.

New Figo, again provides a great value for the buck, given that it resides at a segment below and its chief competitor is Swift and Tata Bolt.

Please do a test drive of both the cars (not only in city, but on highway as well) and then decide it for yourself. For me, Punto 90 HP is the best car in the segment, but I realized it more, after I bought it and drove it on long distances.

I havent test driven the new Figo, but when compared to Punto 90 HP following is what I can think:

1) Figo would be better in city driving, and the new figo has a powerful diesel engine when compared with its predecessor, so I assume that it should be fun to drive even on the highway. Punto 90 HP is truly a beast on highway, and if driven with heavy foot, one can reach high speeds with ease and segment best confidence, thanks to its brilliant chasis. City driving, in Punto 90 HP isnt bad either, but it does have some lag, something at which Figo should be better at.

2) Figo is a well built car, Punto is just better.

3) All black interior design of Punto 90 HP looks sporty, and the orange ambient lighting makes it look even better at night.

4) Punto is a great handler, and the ride quality is impressive as well. So you do get the best of both worlds. The handling is not as great as the pre-2012 Puntos (which had a lower ground clearance), but still is one of the best in segment. Figo should also be a great handler, but I guess it cant match Punto in the ride quality, specially now that it (New Figo) comes with a increased GC and stiffer suspension.

5) Punto's SUVish ground clearance is a boon, for Indian driving conditions and you would have to do something special to make it scrap.

6) Steering feedback has been Fiat and Ford's forte, but the HPS in Punto interacts brilliantly with the driver, giving more confidence.

7) 90 HP comes with 16 inch tyres that provides stupendous grip whereas Figo comes with 14" even in the top trim, which is sad.
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I forgot to mention that as you are a newbie you can adjust to the driving style of any car which should help you go for evo 90 HP. There was a recent ECU update done by Fiat on all 90 HP's after which the initial lag is reduced considerably.

Also, I forgot to mention about the looks, and even though its subjective, Punto is the most well proportioned hatchback in India, no wonder its almost as long as the compact sedans (Read Dzire, Aspire, Zest etc). See it for yourself, I am positive that you would choose Punto over new Figo on this respect at least, even though the new Figo has evolved very well.

Boot space is also bigger in Punto.

Take a test drive of both the cars, and let us know.
  8. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    To add another point.

Punto 90 HP comes with a 60:40 rear seat folding option.

9. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Another + for Punto is the additional safety provided at the back of rear seat, The metal plate at the back of the seat is a safety barrier for the rear seat passengers especially.
    This can be argued but, I love the short first gear which is great to crawl at super slow speed with confidence without touching the clutch.
    Turbothinghy and PradeepM like this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Please correct me if i'm wrong,the car from rear looks like Hyundai Grandei10.the previous Figo was like caaar.The new one is in league of Nissan Micra,Grandei10,Renault Pulse.Liva.

Dear Thread owner
    Do you think still New Figo is comparable to Punto Evo after seeing this pic. :D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015