1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 90HP- the wise choice.

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by jayadev, Dec 22, 2010.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    an year ago I didn't knew about fiat. yes that is a truth . well my innocence or ignorance could be blamed .though i knew about lot of car. most of them are not from india. but fiat just gave the picture of good old padmini which unfortunatley i do not like due to taxis in mumbai.
    an year ago i went for a small car shopping and bought indica vista where i saw these fiat thingies in tata showroom. but didn't give any attention to them as they were standing out and made me feel they are for rich peoples (honestly) so didnt even enquire. as the the scenario in my mind was like a battle between best hatchback i can buy and be happy.
    maruthi suzuki swift obvious first choice ,but of late it became a headache due to not so life like dramas and loads of hogwash around it especially unethical waiting periods which sounded artificial. so i quite suzuki from my list . then hyundai again similar things, all people going gaga over it and all those ,again i dropped it some kind of intution pushed me to drop it. finally i kept myself off from everything and gave a fresh thought to my needs,- what is my requirement" it was ,space,ride comfort,good mileage,power,and service backup. common thingies which everyone excpect. so i ended up with indica vista . fortunately it served very well for the above mentioned purpose. through indica vista i learned the brilliance of that tiny 1.3l engine from fiat. i studied a lot about fiat then and realised what fiat is literally. i went through reviews specs and everything available on internet . and compared the same with my indica vista. needless to say i was comparing it to punto . but somehow i felt there was nothing much where punto was leading to vista as same power,same kind of dealership and manufacturer et al except those 15 " tires and some kind of heavenly attraction possibly not only by looks but something mysterious.
    anyway i was happy and content with my vista so life was great. untill one day when i happened to visit service centre . i found a parked punto that too perhaps for service. i opened and had a glance of the black interior; was truly divine. perhaps usual beige interior of my vista made me feel about black. i got myself seated . and "oh my god " feel poured in. yes the driving position steering grip feel was incredible (see that was instant transition from vista) and should i need to mention the paddles, they were soft like pressing on bread loaf. i thought it was petrol punto . then noticed the wiperstalk and headlamp stalk which made me feel of class , unlike in vista where the feel was tik tik in punto it was a soothing soft clik clik, that was a instant hit in my heart. to add to the anxiety i noticed the key entry which was given due respect in car and placed horizontal ; the feeling in me is like " this car deserves a medal" . then i came out to conform whether it was petrol but nothing but noticed the fuel lid sticker "diesel" and that was instant realization that i am missing much for a car in indica vista.even though i was much attached to vista for its reliability and usability.but punto left a deep mark in my heart.and that is how i have became fan of punto alias fiat.
    since then life was like studying fiat and comparisons . lately realized owning a fiat is something like owning a gem , where people run after gold and real estates looking for future value and price. a gem is like the one who owns it will cherish it. the finish and grandeur of a gem lies in the beholder.glad to say right now owner of FIAT PUNTO 90Hp BOSSA NOVA WHITE.
    1 person likes this.
  2. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    Hello again, I hope this thread becomes longer than the one in automotiveindia ::D

Yes, bro, owning a FIAT is life changing event. I didn't realize that till I got possession of the car. And this color BNW looks really great. I know black is the mean color, but yesterday I was seeing my car parked on roadside. White with the glasses tinted black. The morning sun was falling on it and it was more than "mean". It was like the car was saying to others "come to mama baby!!"

Incidentally I was born when my father owned a black FIAT 1100.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    yes redbull , even though red is dashing and other colours look great , the bossa nova has its own charm . a kind of mysterious appeal. even trot azure call out similar feelings those dark areas make punto look bigger than what it is .
    truely black is mean but some time i feel black does steals certain rich details from our punto as there are too much of detailing on the body imho ,
    tuscan wine looks intoxicating it gives out a corporate feel again "but" it would be difficult to make it look sporty with stickers . so the white was right choice for my taste .

the mystery part:

i keep looking at punto from different angles and every time i find a different punto. credit goes to those luscious curves.!!
    punto does not look same car from front as we find it from the side.imho!!

ps: i believe these things would have been discussed before do bear me if repetition comes ,i am newbie here.
  4. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    well redbull you are right just noticed today there has been 2,469 views in automotiveindia , that too within a month . god knows what is going in peoples mind.
    probably people have much expectation from fiat . but fiat is like .....zzzzzzzz!!! imho
  5. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    bad things first:

1.truck like acceleration:- why fiat why is punto so much sluggish what is the reason . car is called as car because it is CAR. which means luxury and performance. if one needed caravans and trucks he wouldn't pay for a car. a caravan can be processed for much cheaper price than that of punto's.
    so much people have frown for its initial acceleration . where smaller and cheaper cars zoom past munching miles like rocket punto is found counting meters. the weight and other factors just do not justify as there are heavier car doing better than punto.

2.alarming A.S.s- fiat can do much much better but i know they are dont mind it so no question ..i feel sorry.

3.and those lousy fitted upholsteries:- was it for a joke ,fiat are you kidding. no matter what is under the hood the visible part should be kept neat and tidy which should be first thumb rule and what is this ??
  6. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    Good review, where are the pictures of your GP. Waiting.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    WELL THIS IS A FIAT CLUB SO MY PUNTO IS NO DIFFERENT FROM REST ANYWAY ADDING IT .

_DSC0908_1.jpg
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    now the good things- well unfortunately there are not much of good things in this car as comparatively present days car excel against punto in every aspects. so where are we then? hold on

excellent things:- as i said earlier there are no good things but excellent things. yes to me they are excellent what ever features are available they are rich and excellent.

sadly i am not driving here nowadays as i am out of station.
    for the above, the best things is what my brother has to say.

me: how is she doing.
    bro:clocking 2100km
    me: what do you feel
    bro:comfort comfort comfort..what else. it is such a comfortable car.
    me: what else
    bro: what ? what, what else??
    me:just keep saying.
    bro: those gears are to long to shift, we can use it to break the knee of passenger if he is not behaving .
    me: what happened does it have too much play now
    bro: no just joking, i was thinking about those suzuki swift gear, kind of digital gear.
    me:so you mean our punto is not that good.
    bro:no way..never i can say that.
    me :then?
    bro:no, i meant its funny isnt it.
    me:ya it is, for a modern day car but it is soft and smooth.
    bro:yes it is smooth .
    me: so is showing any improvements in initial accelerations?
    bro:no!!
    me: oh..why so
    bro: it is like that ,designed like that ,not her fault.
    me: oho!!
    bro:eek:vertaking is bit "huh" in city but in highways everybody becomes speechless. its more like a bike.hmm better than a bike.
    me:hmm
    bro: in highways its like after 60kmph it is 90kmph then 110kmph the speed comes too early than expected.
    me:yes that is power of 90 hp.
    bro:i dont think it is just due to 90 hp perhaps some kind of clever tuning and design.beyond 60-70kmph it is irresistible and goes uncontrollably means gains speeds with its own interest.we need to keep looking at the speedo to see that it does not cross too much
    me:keep saying
    bro:what... all you know it well
    me:but it is good to listen especially now when i am not with her.
    bro:alright. yeah ..it gains speeds very smartly and so is very much addictive , buzzer is at 70 . but it keeps beeping often unknowingly.
    me:how fast did you drive so far
    bro:110kmp
    me: hmm i trust you
    bro:believe me , the road ended .
    me:haha.
    bro:its brake is so effective and ultimate steering boosts the confidence to very high extremes.
    me: use brakes wisely ,its abs means it will have more wear than normal ones,means expenses.
    bro : ok.
    me:so in lower speeds it is very annoying huh.
    bro:no not like that . if the gearing and rpm level is maintained right , there is no issue but as you know me i dont go higher rpms so my kind of driving doesn't suit it, maybe i need to change my driving style. but there is no problem it is very much alright. not something to raise complaints.
    me : ok ,i get it. so you are going for some long trip huh, and dont forget to see SS before 3000km.
    bro:yes i am going to ekm so by return it would clock around 2800 i will do that.
    me:how is the mileage
    bro: 16km and 18 kmp varying
    me:not bad huh, our roads are very bad for better mileage.perhaps it is good.
    bro:maybe ,i think it is good.
    bro:there is now some low note sounds coming with the mild vibration at idle what could be that?
    me: probably time to change the engine oil and servicing .
    bro:eek:h yes it could be that,even i felt so. it doesn't feels like any problem or such.
    me:how about your friends what did they say.
    bro:well two of them did not like its looks . most of them dont have any idea about cars one said car is too much expensive as it is a small car.well one did drive it, he owns a an alto.
    me:what did he say?
    bro: he said , it feels like driving an electronic car. the car is moving on its own, where he has to keep pushing the accel and shift gears in his alto. this one is acting like robotic.
    me:haha...you should have told him about the power of diesel.
    bro:i did tell him about it.and he liked it.
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    one more of her...with bit of ps frm my end :wink:

_DSC0907.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  10. redbull

redbull

Bangalore
    I think it is because we don't feel the actual speed inside Punto. Inside Punto, I feel the whole Bangalore traffic is a tortoise race. But the same traffic in my i10 doesn't feel so slow.

Also now after 500 kms, I can take off from traffic signal quite fast. The trick is - don't look at tacho and play some music at high volume ::D . Of course this is just for test once or twice - I need to be careful for runin period. 1st gear is still problem, 2nd gear has improved and from 3rd gear, if the turbo is spooling around 1400 rpm, the acceleration is phenomenal. I can tell you it just zips forward with tap on accelerator and accelerator travel seems like it has no end.