1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 90HP suspension

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sacaggarwal, Mar 25, 2016.

1. sacaggarwal

sacaggarwal Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi,

I have baught fiat punto 90 HP diesel 5 months back after lots of online research and weighted various pros and cons. I valued suspension, ride quality more , than ASS, resale, mileage, and hence zeroed out to Punto. Vechicle is smoother to drive. However, I find few issues.

1. Ride quality is expected to be best in hatchbacks but I find it too stiff and I can feel all potholes, even small once , especially at low speeds. Is it because of low profile tyres in 90HP. Is it because of some issue in suspension. Is it because of recommended 32 PSI tyre pressure, and I need to reduce it?

2. Somettimes, while going up a slope, power will reduce to almost nill, and car will simply not go ahead. I am struck, even if i pull race peddle to full.. Mostly I observed, when taking out car from basement ( may b car is cold). Is it normal behaviour. does not look like.

3. No call from fiat or so in last 5 months, where maruti type will call every now and then to ask if car is fine and all.

Thanks and regards,
    Sachin
  2. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Is this in 1st gear? Normally engine will take 3kms to heat up to normal.
    However, 1st gear should pull through the slope. Surprised!!
  3. sacaggarwal

sacaggarwal Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Yes. In first gear. Need to take out of basement, so going 3km not an option. I even do not know that till engine gets Heated, is it normal behaviour. Does not look to be. It happens like this, it is going up, and suddenly or will loose all the power, no matter how much you press accelerator.
    Thanks,
    Sachin
  4. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Start the engine and keep it idle for 1-2 minutes then drive in 1st gear. Even I had this issue but it's on 2nd gear. But 1st gear will go from any. Situation.

Suspension you may feel it at low speeds but after 40 kmph even big holes won't bother you.

Suspension is class best even 1 segment up.
  5. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Small question, which was your earlier car you used to drive, before Punto?

Stiffer suspension are added advantage from FIAT, cause on higher speed, this girls are not gonna do hops on bellies like other cars. They will just flatten the straights and curves at high speed without do woably jibbles. Also if you have lower profile R16, then yes Low Profile can be little bit less comfy compare to higher profile ones. But that just the tires behavior and not your car's suspension.

Check if you have got right node adjustment of releasing clutch and pressing the gas! I remember once, when a temporary hired driver started to complaint me about clutch not working on my Linea, and car not giving pickup. I just ignored him and after that same clutch is still running smooth for 25K km!
  6. sacaggarwal

sacaggarwal Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Is it mandatory to keep idle for 1 minute. I keep it for around 30 second and that too is also not mentioned in manual. And this 1-2 mins it's required after every start our when needle shows at cold only. I am getting this issue in first gear only.

I too heard lot positive about suspension. I think it becomes better after 80 or so. Not at 40. Is there something wrong. Do i need to change air pressure to 30.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    I was driving maruti alto 800. Stiff suspension i know is better for highways, but i find it is better only after 80kmph. Must be because 90 hp comes with very low profile tyres. This problem may not be there in active, dynamic variants. Just want to know, if others with 90 hp versions have this feeling.

I have driven about 40000km,in last ten years (20000 Santro, 20000 alto), so clutch coordination should be fine, although this is first diesel car. Moreover, issue happens only at cold start (at least this is what I observed till now). Gets afraid when this happens at slope, since no other option to go back full down and come back. Mostly fine second time.

Regards, sachin
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  7. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    sachin:
    Please keep the idling for 10mins. The temparature gauge needle must sit on the middle.
    Diesels are tuned for torque. Use the torque rather than too much accelarator.
    1st gear should pull you from any stagnant position on slopes/ghat sections.
    If possible, try asking a known driver to try to take the car out on the ramp see the feedback.
    I suppose you are not releasing clutch/press A pedal appropriately.

1. Slot 1st Gear
    2. Fully release the clutch
    3. Car would move forward with pressing A pedal
    4. Now start pressing the A pedal moderately and workout the torque
    5. It should pull up as 1st gear has lot of torque

try and confirm.
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 25, 2016 ---
    Navneet likes this.
  8. sacaggarwal

sacaggarwal Timido

Bangalore
    Fiat Enthusiast
    10 Min idling is too much i feel, since it is no where mentioned in user manual. My commute itself is 10 mins. What i do is, to keep rpm below 2k for first 3-4 mins (that too is not in manual, but from coast forums)

This problem comes sometimes only, when suddenly, i need to stop on slope. I feel if car is hot, if will then start easily. One more observation, once it stopped at slope,. To prevent it to go back, i engaged hand brakes fully. To my horror, as soon as i released foot brake for accelerating, car goes back which means hand brake is not sufficient. Luckily no one was behind, and car and to end of basement slope. Then i retired, it worked.

So finally it works out, that even if idling is must, why it not mention need in manual. Why hand brake is less powerful (slope will be around 30 degrees). It seems, when you need more torque or power, when engine is cold, ecu does not allow any power(probably if you try to cross 2000 rpm) , but do not know reason

In city, speed is normally less than 40. Does it mean, i have to live with stiff and bumpy suspension

Otherwise most things are very good in car.
    Regards,
    Sachin
  9. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Sachin bhai. Relax. The symptoms what you are trying to explain is very vague. Not clear. Have not faced any issues like this.
    10minutes is not always. Just to test when the engine is in operating temp before starting the day.
    And the explanation you have given is unbelievable. Cant understand the problem at all.

Please ask any other driver to test this in upward slope and check.
    We hardly use handbrakes except extreme cases. However, we manage to pull the car out from half clutch/accelerator actions.
    1st gear torque is max and you should from any gear. Plus you have 90 HP Punto man.. Its remarkable car and best combo of Fiat Multijet. Again repeat, please ask any known driver to drive the car or Go to FASS and get it checked.

Suspension in Puntos are in stiffer side. That's the reason you can maneuver the car so smoothly at high speeds and cornering.
    Its more balanced. I believe your car comes with 195/60/R15 profile tires. We also feel the potholes/gravels etc.

Free your mind and feel the steering feedback of the road surface. Forget the rest.
    Enjoi your car with crunching more miles!! Its 90HP Punto remember.
    Navneet likes this.
  10. driveit

driveit Amatore

chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sachin 1st gear will always works for any kind of slope. Last year I stayed GRT yercaud and The slope is very very steep (at first sight everyone will afraid!!). I started with 1st gear then changed to 2nd gear and my surprise it came to halt but immediately I managed to move with 1st gear with gentle acceleration it's very smooth.

1st gear will be handy for any situation.