1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Punto 2009 Active BURNT INTO FLAMES!!! - I am seriously worried

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by chandu525, Feb 21, 2013.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

After-market Central locking would be the most probable cause for it. Installers have habit of running wires directly to Central locking unit without putting proper fuses in place and using cheap wires whose insulation gets cracked on its own with time. (Insist on using Finolex, L&T, Havvels etc wires)
    Rats are another cause for short circuits, they chew wires insulation. Chewed ABS wires once in my car and once got inside car after cutting insulation around AC air circulation vent.
    Ask your friend to insist on getting the root cause of fire found out by Fiat.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Yes very shocking and unfortunate incident.
    I feel its not a bad option to carry a fire extinguisher in the car for emergencies. I don't mean as an exaggerated response to this particular incident but along with the first-aid kit, torch, cutter/knife/swiss knife which we keep in the car, it is not a bad idea to keep handy a small fire extinguisher also.
  3. raj29

raj29 Superiore

I completely agree with Gurjinder on the comments. Keeping the car stock, although there are so many temptations around us which could alter the stock electrical & mechanicals is a good practice (now how many good practices do we follow in our life). Also things will happen if they have to, but that doesnt mean we dont do out bit.
    We cannot expect the candil to be lit in open air we have to do out bit of giving it protection from direct wind without hampering the light it spreads :)

Its always better to get a thgought from the car service experts (manufacturer or service team) to have a better knowledge of what we are doing and what could happen.
    There are thousands (or may be lakhs) of mods being done in India and world wide which change the the stock setups, but its unfortunate to see an incident because of such mods (we still dont know what is the cause yet) on most occasions.

Having a car extinguisher is a good option but if the fire spreads rapidly i dont think it would help much!!
    1 person likes this.
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    That's a valid point and has lot of essense now. Punto and Linea 's are built on international safety standards and one of the safest vehicles on the road, and also every other car follows the strict safety norms on their designs to minimize damage and prevent casualties in that case. Only investigations can reveal the truth and prevent such instances in future.
  5. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    I really don't think it's MFG defect from FIAT. If it is MFG defect then we should have seen this to a handful of cars. Having said that i don't say that FIAT should not investigate it more. But messed up wiring is the most common problem in such incidences.

With all wrong wiring AMPS can get heated up quickly. If i am not wrong then it's always advisable to install the AMPS where it can breath properly. otherwise u
    never know what you gonna face. So point to be learnt by everyone is we should carry out any aftermarket changes from very trusted places.
  6. imranshks

imranshks Superiore

Hi Chandu,

I agree with you on the safety part and its good to have preventive measures in place.

This is a very unfortunate incident that has taken place :(, nothing in this world is perfect. When a car like Audi can catch fire ? why do we pay a premium price for the same?

As most of them already suggested, the best way to maintain your car and keep it healthy is by keeping it in stock condition (at least the mechanical and electrical components shouldn't be altered).

Punto or Linea as a product are not bad at all, it not only me but must of the Europeans too believe the same.

So cheer up and drive safe.

Happy Motoring !!
  7. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    buddy, there is nothing wrong if you want to add some spice to you ride!!! why to stay away from all the fun:uh. Just because someone really doesn't know his job(Accessories installers)?? No dude staying away from these things is definitely not an option. Before we go ahead with any changes to stock car do your homework. Read as much as you can and speak to people, don't rely on accessories installers. Most of them just do the things half heatedly.

Speak to our forum members and get an idea about good installers in your locality. Another point which you mentioned is really MUST!!
    Routine checkups: self examination. Keep checking most of the things of your ride. Remember 'prevention is better than cure'. 5-10 mins of inspection in a 20 odd days could save you from all such head aches.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

If the car was really bare stock and burst into fire then it was a serious cause of concern. If aftermarket mods are there Fiat needs to investigate and ascertain if that was the real cause. They should not gulp the issue, they should publish the cause everywhere.

Come to aftermarket fittment one should have a look at my linea. What not is fitted. And i have a very good experience on how a fire can be caused as i went through it.
    I did a DIY and installed a switch on my projectors. I dint install a fuse and the swtich was faulty. i.e it was short from inside. When i parked my car and returned i saw white smoke filled in the cabin.
    Luckily the fire retardant plastic and mating dint catch fire. There are just few black marks. Will post the pics.

If i would have put a fuse inline this would have been totally avoided as the connection itself would have been cut out. From this incidence onwards i make sure that i first buy a fuse and then install whatever i want.

Many installers dont use fuse and confidently connect the central locking or head unit or similar stuffs in hurry. All equipment user manuals strictly state that there should be a fuse inline.

Time to revisit all your connections guys. Also peep into bonnet for any broken hoses or hoses and wires bitten by rats.
    5 people like this.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

As Vijay said even a rat can cause short circuit in your car. All we can do is have a good presence of mind & don't be panic. Having a fire extinguisher is a good option, but how many would dare top open the bonnet in they happen to see smoke gushing out ? Only thing you have to be careful is not to get locked inside.
  10. Yamboy

Yamboy Novizio

Scary thing to happen to anyone driving a vehicle.

Now I am really worried and think should go to a dealer soon. I am hearing a strange Electric spark sound at odd intervals through the speakers and some time from the right side of the driver seat whenever I am using Blue and me. I am not sure if any real spark is happening in the fuse box. Only accessory that I have fitted in my car is the FIAT approved reverse parking sensors. </SPAN></SPAN>