1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Punto 2009 Active BURNT INTO FLAMES!!! - I am seriously worried

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by chandu525, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    Very unfortunate incident.Hope Fiat officials finds the cause in their investigation.Very sad to see a Fiat Car turned into ashes in few seconds.
  2. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

This is shocking news!chandu525: If you're scared of using your Punto, just think - there have been at least 3-4 cases of Ventos/Rapids catching fire, yet you find 1000s of polos, ventos and rapids happily chugging around town. Prima facie, as Gurjinder pointed out, this is probably the first such case and an isolated incident.

Im glad your friend is safe and sound - and hope insurance/warranty cover the damages.
    Take care.
  3. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    The first thing that comes to my mind is - what should we do when we have a kid buckled to a child seat in a situation like this.

When I was oscillating between Vento and Linea, the infamous 'Blue Vento fire' was one of the reason to decide on Linea over Vento (ofcourse there were lots of other reasons for me to choose Linea), now though my brain clearly says this is one of the isolated incident I am bit shattered now as I realize that this can happen to any vehicle and the best is to be prepared.
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    From the posts I get the impression that the company is attributing the cause to improper fitment of after market accessories. In this case, they may be jumping to conclusions. However, fitment of after market accessories must be done with a lot of care on the Linea/Punto because of the design of the electrical system which uses the 'bus' configuration.

This issue had been briefed to me at length by a very knowledgeable SA when I took delivery of the car in Dec 09. I had brought out this point in a post earlier. The link is:

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/electrical-systems/115-punto-linea-electrical-system.html#post565

Regards
    Johnny
    2 people like this.
  5. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    thank you for members like you who care to share/enlighten simple but very critical info. with lot of newbies visiting/flipping through this site.
    I know the info is nothing for a lot of experts but still matters like a warning which is flashed over and over again!! and such things do help.

**critical info. however basic it is in nature does help if it is found scatterd in various discussions accross the board(albiet repeatedly) rather than burried deep in couple of n posts which being in an old thread may miss a lot of people.
    1 person likes this.
  6. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very unfortunate incident. I too had thought of changing the ICE but decided not to do when the vehicle delivered. Even 15-20 days back, the Audi got fire in Mumbai, the Audi officials simply told that it is because of the after-market alterations done only caused the fire. So be careful when you do any after-market electrical additions to your car.
    1 person likes this.
  7. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks for your support, Ya as you guys said it might happen to any car, But after this incident my worry is what we can do to prevent this?, I upgraded my headlamps to 130/100w , This can become a potential candidate which will build the temperature inside the headlamp, I am planning to remove it, I can live with less light but not give a slightest chance for this incident to occur, also I am planning not to go for any ICE setup after this

Any thoughts on how to prevent this would help , I can think of following

1. Have a fire extinguisher ready in your car,
    2. get a complete electrical system checkup every 6 months,
    3. Don't mess up with ICE setup, Dont install any third party component in car which can be a source for heat to build up in car

My friend is demanding a clear explanation for the cause of fire, otherwise he said he will get this car when Enrico comes to open a Bangalore showroom and protest, FIAT officials said that they will give a good discount to him if he decides to buy another FIAT car, But he is fighting with insurance, Anyway he has to pay double the insurance money he gets to buy a punto again.
  8. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you didn't touch the electrical at any point of time, you need not worry much (except you are seeing rodent running here and there near your parking). A fire extinguisher will help but if the flame is heavy you cannot do anything with it.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I am quite a fatalist and believe if something is going to happen, it will. And if not, it won't.

Having said that, it's good to keep a car in stock configuration. Because the manufacturer has tested that stock configuration for lakhs of km's in real world testing. When we alter that, we are on our own.

Absolutely. It is in everyone's interest for the real cause to come out - whatever it may be.
    2 people like this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Very unfortunate and scary incident indeed.
    This can happen to any car, Punto being no exception. It is easy to say manufacturer has used "special fire retardant material in the car, so will not catch fire" until such an incident happens. Modifications may or may not be reason for it. But we need to know the exact reason.

Every new owner is asking about possible modifications they can do on a brand new car. Starting from ICE, headlamps, special lightings, and so on, forgetting that any extra load on the stock electrical config can lead to overload on electrical circuit, which in turn can lead to fire.