1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

FIAT Punto 2009 Active BURNT INTO FLAMES!!! - I am seriously worried

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by chandu525, Feb 21, 2013.

1. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    All,

This is an unfortunate incident happened to my close friend couple of weeks back, He was one the guy who inspired me to buy punto, when he was driving home from office he could smell a burnt smell , after which he started to see a smoke coming out from bonnet, he immediately stopped the car got out, he did not even dare to open the bonnet, he ran away, in a matter of minutes the whole car was in flames, He missed the death by a whisker,

The entire car is burnt , Let the pictures do the talking, I am worried now how safe is our punto? <label for="rb_iconid_8"> icon8.png </label> Now every time I sit in my car, I have this fear when it will blew up<label for="rb_iconid_4"> icon4.png </label>

After few investigations neither the concorde motors Kudlu gate, nor the fiat officials can give proper explanation to it, all they said is the flame could be because of a third party music system he installed, He had installed a pioneer HU with no woofers, I felt this is a crappy answer from fiat,

Here is the Youtube link and pictures
    IMAG0907.jpg IMAG0908.jpg IMAG0909.jpg IMAG0910.jpg IMAG0911.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very unfortunate incident, and scary too.

This is the first Fiat car reported (in my knowledge) to catch fire, Fiat must examine the root cause.
    If your friend has just installed the HU, did he get any wiring cut etc done? This reason doesn't look satisfactory.

Unfortunately, all or most of the cars, we know, at some point of time reported to have caught fire. Have a look at team-bhp thread on same.
  3. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Oops 2nd FIAT to catch fire as of my knowledge though i have seen this happening in couple of cars in the past in Honda City, I20 in Bangalore, most of the cases it was concluded as a short circuit/spark due to improper wiring or messing with the default wiring assembly which was done outside for a HD/Fog lamps/central locking.,etc

I was warned of the extra lamps by my SA and told warranty will be void for such cases or Zero insurance coverage, I got it removed immediately the same day.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Very unfortunate to see this! Thanks be to God that the driver escaped unhurt.

The root cause of this must be established - even if it is due to some aftermarket fitment or some other alteration or even if it is a factory issue.

I'm afraid your fears are exaggerated. Do not be worried. I am very sure this is an isolated case.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    very unfortunate incident indeed.
    When i was doing research for my ICE i happened to come accross a very famous installer premises wherein smoke was seen coming through the headunit area after the installer came rushing to halt the car after a test drive!! ( i dont remember the make but was a hatchback). I am not sure whether the owner of the car was notified about this..the matter was hushed then and there i guess( for obvious reasons).
    ICE is a very serious after market modification and people take it very lightly most of the time. ( i am not drawing any inference with your friend's tragic incident vis a vis aftermarket ICE)...maybe his tragic episode maybe completely due to some other issue altogether... hope he gets proper support from FIAT through the investigation.

can you elaborate a bit on behalf of your friend, as to did he see the smoke/smell coming from the ac vent or was his windows down and he got a feeler of the same from outside..
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore

Its not exaggerated, Some times I get a burnt smell when I switch the AC on, After this incident I have feeling that something is burning inside, After this incident, I was really scared. But I told him it is one unfortunate car, I was wondering what to do in such case, what If I have a child sitting inside the car, or my family, how can this be prevented?, Just think for you and me everything is running fine today, But imagine yourself in my friend's shoes you will definitely worry about it

- - - Merged Post - - -

He had not cut any wires, he had used pnp adapters, His ICE was a bare minimal setup, no woofers, no amplifiers, no After market stuff like Fog Lamps, He had installed an AutoCop Central locking as Far as I know
  7. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4

I get burning smell from my ac vents( with outdoor air circulation mode turned off) all the time..i am living with the incident for almost more than a year now :(
    no solution/answer found by TASS till now! Fed up of online research and looking for answers on forums etc...just given up and living with it now!
    I dont think and i hope it has no relevance with what happened in the above reported incidence!!
  8. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    Fiat Officials told him that the car did not blew up into pieces because fuel tank was diesel and is Fire proof, but with the heat generated if the fuel tank was a petrol it would have blasted, Scary isn't it?
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I have been experiencing the same smell too. After a lot of brain-wracking i narrowed it down to and as i replied earlier on TFI , it is from the Catalyst starting to heat up. Nothing is burning or anything. If something was burning, it would've burnt out completely in 2 years of me driving the car.

Yes i can very well imagine how hard it will be to be in his shoes. To escape from possible death. The driver in the Vento which burnt down wasn't that lucky.

Having said that, i would again suggest you not to be worried while driving your car. I would personally be worried if all cars that left Ranjangaon were starting to go up in flames one by one - which is clearly not the case. I myself drive a FIAT car only - infact two.

Yes that is true for almost any car running around on our roads.
    2 people like this.
  10. raj29

raj29 Superiore

Very unfortunate event and hopefully FIAT will provide a proper root cause analysis for this to rest assure the fears of many because of this incident.

@ Chandan, don't get worried about this one particular incident. Although unfortunate and yet to get a RCA, we have so many Punto riding safely on road.

But i would suggest you get the smell of birning verified properly on your ride.