1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 1.3MJD - 36000 kms Sudden Service

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Magnanimousdude, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    But Ravi, I have Appollo Accelere in my Linea. It was stock tyre. Personally, I feel that the road grip of Appollo Accelere is less than that of Goodyear GT3. I heard that Goodyear Assurance is a better tyre than GT3.

Last week, we replaced the tyres in linealover's Linea. We had the ZLO in mind and finally we got the C Drive. We did compare both C drive and ZLO. We felt that the sidewall of ZLO is no different than that of C drive. The tyre shop guys also recommended C drive over ZLO claiming that ZLO is more prone to sidewall hit. This being a new in the market, we didn't want to take chances and went ahead with the C drive.
  2. So to shortlist its between the below ones, what about continentals tyres?? i have heard that they too work good with good side walls, good grip and low tyre noise

Michelin Primary LC
    - Yoko C drive

@Ravi,
    Yes i live i a place where potholes are more and more of a rough roads than smoother ones... Since tyre replacement is gonna cost upto 25k [including spare wheel] i dont want take some risk here in this investments.
    Personally i know nothing about tyres, which ever is the best please let me know.

And any comments on the vibration thing?? below??

3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    This is wind cutting noise from the ORVMs. No need to worry about it!

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

see if there is any uneven tyre wear and get your wheel alignment done. At 24k kms you should not need tyre change ideally
  4. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Totally agree with shams. I have also completed 24k+ and I am not even thinking about this.
  5. That is not Wind Noise for sure i can vouch on it, you can image that noise like some kind of bearing rolling with "waanwaanwaanwaanwaanwaanwaan..." sound

and What about the other vibration,

At 120kmph [3000 rmp in 5th gear] ~ 130kmph i could feel some rhythmic vibration, I can feel that in my steering and in the pedals very well. above 130 even that vanishes... What could be the issue??? My wild Guess is on my car shoes!!!

"I just had my wheel alignment checked from a reputed one, it was some 400km back "
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. Can anyone give some comments? Mods are you people on vacation???
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Get balancing done from a good shop for all four tyres and mount rear tyres at front.
    Also check the alloys for any small bends while it is rotating on balancing machine.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. rk76

rk76 Timido

Pune
    My car was having the same issue and it completed vanished after the wheel balancing.
  9. Updates, last weekend i took the car to the Chennai's Best Wheel balancing and alignment center "Lal Enterprises" [this is where i use to do my alignment and balancing normally], He took some extra time and confirmed that the Back 2 tires were worn out! and there is No point in rotating the tires now. and also observed a slight bend in the 2 alloys [once from back and one from front] but said as long as there is no wobbling there is no issues, but atleast 2 tires needs replacement. Well i thought for a while, checked my cards and pocket for Vitamin "M" finally asked him to replace all 4 since i dont want replacing 2 now. this will result in when the other 2 goes out again i have to replace, by that time the new ones would have gone comparatively old.

Well i went with YOKO C drive [ I asked him for c drive 2 but he said it isn't launched]
    Price: 195/60/R15 - YOKO C drive : Rs. 4750 * 4 = Rs. 19000
    rear 2 tires he said Pls. throw these as he wouldn't take it, so left with only 2 tires to sell - thought for a while and asked him the rate for the stepney tire, its a brand new Good year never ever rolled out over the road :D - he said it would go for Rs.3000
    I asked him to replace one front tire to stepney and take the new stepney, finally bargained and sold one front + one stepney[new one] for Rs. 4000
    Wheel Balancing + nitrogen for all 5 wheels costed another Rs.1000

All together i paid Rs. 16000 for 4 wheels :D isn't it worth for YOKO C Drive??

Another Update is i replaced the stock filter with K & N which i bought it long time ago, now the car runs smoother and surprisingly with K & N i barely able to hear the engine noise now. I stocked the K & N for long time because on High engine Note, now its no where! great MJD is like a WINE, the older it is the finer it will be :D

Guys, Any disadvantages of K & N in MJD pls throw your comments??
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  10. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Price seems to be fine. Two weeks back, we got new set of tyres for linealover's Linea. We got the Yoko C Drive 195/60 R15 for Rs. 5k each. It costed Rs. 20k for all the 4 tyres including Wheel balancing, alignment and nitrogen. This was done at the Raja Tyres.

Note that Lal's is not the best in Chennai. May be one of the best. Now, there are many more good alignment shops in Chennai. Some of the alignment issues which Lal was unable to fix was fixed by the Ramesh Tyres at Velachery. They also do very good job.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.