1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Fiat Punto 1.3MJD - 36000 kms Sudden Service

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Magnanimousdude, Dec 15, 2011.

1. @Vijay,
    The Intercoolers were fitted perfectly i personally checked myself. Well the situation became more wrose, Till i was there with those TASS Guys on saturday, the LINK ROD was faulty and hence they changed the rod and gave a try, still the situation persists but with less noise this time. The last news i got from them today was the Stud is the only thing that needs to be checked now since the issue persist, as to others were dismandled and fixed again. I too Hope the stud could be the issue. From no where this issue creeped!

@Bhai,

I met one more Punto MJD on satuday and he says his punto is like a rocket and has not felt any heaviness issue till now. Seems something between the wheel and the engine is creating the problem, Cos my car had been taken to the engine room and did a thorough test of the engine and the results were as expected. TASS Guys feel the ECU is doing some malfunctioing somewhere, but they are also not sure. Once FIAT gives a go signal they would change the ECU in mine and check if the issue perist but those testing will be done only after my confirmation.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Come-on, Punto never been like a rocket.
    You should have driven his car or would have given your car to drive.
  3. Ha ha ha, Ravi, Now anycar expect mine i think it is like a rocket!! cos i feel that heaviness now a days, Hopefully i think the issue will resolve with what they have have done with the Hose!

I thought of taking a test drive, but what to do he too came to Service station for some suspension issue and both of our cars were on Ramp, well mine was there for just 2 days, but he seems to be there for atleast 2 weeks for same suspension issue :-D
  4. Well, They say that they have found the issue for heaviness issue, attached the Picture where the issue happened.
    Issue:
    1. The Turbo Intercooler, Inlet Hose was the problem according to them, it was bent and while suction it was creating a vacuum, because of which the air wasn't delivered to the engine sometimes. But when the car is idle the vacuum is release and shows no errors in the examiner. Refer the Picture below

2. Regarding the Noise from the left side, they identified it to be Link ROD and Stud bushes, so they changed the Stud Bush and link Rod. THe Noise is no GONE!!!

I will have to drive for atleast 1 month to confirm the heaviness issue has GONE. :-D 20120604_181921.jpg
    1 person likes this.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I hope the issue is solved & you will report us the good news in one month from now. :)

Having said that, I feel it shows on how pathetic the dealer's are that it took them 23,000kms to find out the problem! This is the area Fiat needs to focus on. I am shaking my head in disbelief here that it took a Fiat Authorised Service Center 23,000kms to figure out the problem! A Maurti dealer would have probably done that in 2.30 hours! I hope members will get the drift of what I am trying to say here.

You should have asked him which car he has upgraded from. For a Alto / Wagon R owner the Punto may feel like a rocket. Fact is Punto is just an average performer.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  6. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

@thread owner, Just a suggestion, may be the title of this thread could be different.
    When i read it first, it was understood like owner must be trying to shoulder ride his Punto & feeling it is very heavy:confused:
    It can some thing like "clutch or acceleration issue".
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    We can't comment on this case (whether the issue is resolved or not) until MD completes his testing.

I can't comment on Maruti dealers. But, Hyundai service in Chennai not able to figure out source of an irritating rattle from the left front door of my Getz even after 2.5 years.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  8. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Good that your issue seems to be resolved. Do update us after few KMs, how it is behaving.

I don't think it took 23K to fix the issue (if at all its fixed), it was reported to them, I think, after 15K only.

Even Maruti comment, easy to say, till you visit and have similar kind of issues. Most probably, they or hyundai will not accept that there is any issue with the car.
    1 person likes this.
  9. @ All,

Yes it was reported to them after 10k Kms, but i am not confident in reporting this to them until 15k kms, cos i haven't driven any other MJD punto not even the 90 variant! so i really dont know whether its heaviness issue or what. @ 14k kms i had a chance to drive one of the MJD punto in my native place, shocked to see its performance (though in my native the traffics are not much, only you can bullock carts. But performance is performance anywhere.

I took the car to them @ 14k kms, I told them the issue of heaviness. I said the Steering feels tight, clutch feels tight when this heaviness happens, But they denied saying there is no relation between them and it wasn't the case. Still to satisfy me and to check they changed the clutch (Thanks to the fantastic Works Manager VST) and Mounting Bush in the steering.

After the clutch change for about 1000 kms i.e. Till 15k km i felt the engine is very free and revv happy but after that same issue. Told the TASS the issue, FIAT was engaged and they took the vehicle for 3 days and kept in Engine Room to check the engine issue and performance, Absolutely there was no issues. All the parameters were perfect. Car was given to me saying no issues

From then on, i was scratching my head what could be the issue, since i had so many long trips and other things i didn't take the car to TASS. Lastly i took the car to them @ 22.5k kms and Mr. Murali ( the server engineer) told me that i haven't checked your car sir, so just give it to me for a day to see what could be the issue. we all sat inside with the examiner he was explaining many things as stated below(well i learnt many things) Finally when he removed the bumper and see the intercooler he said he got the Culprit and showed the hose (which is getting vacuum when intaking the Air most of the time) and (asked me to compare the hose with the same Oulet hose) When in idle the vacuum gets released(evidence the hose was shrink and bent to its nature). He cleaned the Intercooler for some dirt and then fixed the hose with a new one he Kept a sleeve while tightening the screws of the Hose to make sure its not getting vacuum again!!!

Things i learnt:
    1. EGR valve will be Clogged or culprit when the AIR Intake MASS changes (this can be determined by the examiner) or Air volume changes
    2. Seen the EGR valve opening and closing
    3. Accelerator response (APP) Sensor behaving, Raise of the values with the press of the feet and when left idle immediate drop down of the value(if the APP is the issue, after leaving it to idle from press the value will change very slowly and not drastically)
    4. fuel intake..

and so on!

Now the Most Important response of car after change the Hose....

Till now i haven't faced the heaviness issue and the car behaves very normal, neither it shows heaviness issues nor it is rocket(sometimes i felt like rocket initially when it was having the issue, may be the sudden surge of Air when the vacuum is released would have cause it to move like a rocket). I have driven the car for about 50km after change. Still i need 1 complete month to confirm it :)

Sometimes later i will post you people the Picture of Sleeve kept for the Hose not to shrink, its beneath the bumper.

What Maruti Service Told me.

My Maruthi Service station told me that it is the EGR valve and the caliper Pin which creates the problem
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  10. Ravi

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for providing details.

Let me take some points from your post -
    I bet no other service center would do this.
    After reading above, its anybody guess who did diagnose better.
    MASS technician are not magician, but similar qualified people. What is different though is Maruti cars have less (reported) niggles than Fiat cars. Or other way is Fiat owners wants their cars to be in perfect condition, knows cars better than average maruti owners.